Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy on my job today told me that on his Iron Horse Chopper he has to replace his rear pulley every 12-15K miles. He has a belt drive just like we (V-RODS) do.

My question is: Do we have to replace our rear pullies during those intervals too??? I've never heard of that & I have 9000 miles on my bike.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I had this happen to me once and have seen it on a few customs. The common denominator is we all had billet aluminum pulleys that were not annodized or hard coated so it destroyed the teeth. Mine was chrome plated including the teeth but once the chrome wore off the pulley wore quickly. The manufacturer of my pulley has since started coating the teeth and my new one has held up fine. I have V-rods with over 40K miles and stock pulleys with no problems though :D

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok just checking. This guy is the IT TECH on our job. Before that he was/still is a Certified Motorcycle Mechanic.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
I had this happen to me once and have seen it on a few customs. The common denominator is we all had billet aluminum pulleys that were not annodized or hard coated so it destroyed the teeth. Mine was chrome plated including the teeth but once the chrome wore off the pulley wore quickly. The manufacturer of my pulley has since started coating the teeth and my new one has held up fine. I have V-rods with over 40K miles and stock pulleys with no problems though :D
:them:

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
And if you listen to HD, you need to replace both pulleys when you replace a belt!:tmbsdow:

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
And if you listen to HD, you need to replace both pulleys when you replace a belt!:tmbsdow:
Yeah, but you're talking 80 - 100 thousand miles before the belt is worn out.
Price a drive shaft on a Paralever BMW sometime. $691.82 plus tax, ouch. The female splines on the pinion end wear out eventually and the whole drive shaft has to be replaced. And lets not even get into the big ball bearing in the final drive when it goes ..........
No, the V-Rod is pretty economical to live with unless you abuse it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts