Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, like many others, are sad to see the Vrod swept into the dust bin of history. Once the new Street Fighter, Custom 1250, and Pan America was released for our eyes to undress, it wasn't hard to notice the new engines name on these models. Revolution Max

That name got me thinking. Obviously "Revolution" reminds me of the Vrods engine and the "Max" makes me think of the Vmax. I'm not saying this is what HD meant by naming this engine, only that the name reminds me of these two bikes.

Now, once the thought of Vrod and Vmax entered my skull at the same time and bounced around a little, the product that such a thought created was a V-4 VRSC Nova. Imagine a 2260cc, prolly smaller, V-4 Vrod. That would be the king of performance cruisers right there. Especially if it kept the Revolution architecture.

If you don't know already, Harley attempted a V-4 cruiser dubbed Project Nova. It actually looks pretty sweet given the era it was being developed in.

What would your thoughts be on such a beast if it were ever created?

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Electric or kick start?

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
If you don't know already, Harley attempted a V-4 cruiser dubbed Project Nova. It actually looks pretty sweet given the era it was being developed in.

What would your thoughts be on such a beast if it were ever created?
It would be awesome IMHO direct comp to the Gen2 Max :notworth:

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
If the only argument is power than hell yea. Though the Revo had much more in it if they looked a little. Destroyer...

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
It would be VEERY interesting, but like most other V4 bikes unless its done with racing in mind it ends up top heavy and not a good handler. V Twin power done right is the best street answer IMHO even a Triumph 3 Cylinder is a massive weapon without excessive weight required for the 4 cylinders. Hate to say it but beating a 3 Cylinder Triumph is hard to do. I'll take the V Twin, built to the N/A max - in most riding situations it's the best looking engine and sounds great. Triple ? yea, cant beat the fwd exhaust, no heat on knees, just an awesome package, is it as sexy as a V Twin though ? NO.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Got one name for ya. Its synonymous with a very cool 3 cylinder John Roberts. The Yamaha 750 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Now that was a very cool and nasty machine.

I think Tassies big head would be a lager problem then any motor center of gravity.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Chuck a TZ 750 is going up for auction down here in Tampa- Man would I love to have one I built a 500cc H1 Kawi back in the 70's thing was an insane screaming wheelie machine LOVE the two strokes ! Saw Kenny Roberts race the TZ 750 that was an insane machine. Saw Triumph win their first Championship in like 45 years using 3 Cylinders, probably my favorite engine fairly slim, has torque & Hp. Turbo & it's heat goes in front down low. Sign me up. H-D will never build a lightweight V4 like the V Max, they just don't have it in their blood.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Chuck a TZ 750 is going up for auction down here in Tampa- Man would I love to have one I built a 500cc H1 Kawi back in the 70's thing was an insane screaming wheelie machine LOVE the two strokes ! Saw Kenny Roberts race the TZ 750 that was an insane machine. Saw Triumph win their first Championship in like 45 years using 3 Cylinders, probably my favorite engine fairly slim, has torque & Hp. Turbo & it's heat goes in front down low. Sign me up. H-D will never build a lightweight V4 like the V Max, they just don't have it in their blood.
Neighbor had a replica street version of the 750 with the yellow and black paint. That bike was insane. I did ride it once and it was fast. I did not open it up as one might but it made me respect it quick. That bike could have used the GSXR extend swing arm option.

I am sure at HD there is some kid who at every meeting say hey can we put the Destroyer motor in a Sporty? Collective answer "NO CARL!" What about; "NO CARL!" Ok just one more question Can we put the Revo in the FXR? "Will someone get Carl a Snickers bar..."

·
Desert Rod
80 Posts
If the Mo Co were to make this...I WOULD LOVE IT.

I wouldn't be able to afford it, not even a little bit, but I'd absolutely love it.

Now, the question remains: WILL the Mo Co ever exploit this hypothetical?

History has shown since the 70's, that it probably would not.

Sadly, your beautiful thought experiment, of a lightweight, nimble, powerful, oversized V4 engine power cruiser that would annihilate every other cruiser on the road like a tiger in his natural habitat, will be put to rest in a deep, endless sleep, and the shell of it placed in a crematorium, painfully burning the need for such a motorcycle, and upon its absolute demise, the ashes of that gorgeous thought will flutter in the wind, like lost souls in the grey fogs of purgatory.

But GAWD, I hope I'm wrong.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I live in the fact they did build the Destroyer ad that was not a big run bike but ran big.
Its also advertising... What bike do you want?

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Yea the v four has been around the internet so many times it now has STDs. Here is the other version that is out there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea the v four has been around the internet so many times it now has STDs. Here is the other version that is out there.

Seen that image before. I think it was a dudes little mad scientist project to slap into a custom chopper. Could be wrong though.

Anyways, here's Project Nova's engine. I'd give my left nut for a Siamese Revolution engine. But robertereyes is right. They'll never resurrect this old project.

Attachments

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
There have been may pics of the whole thing going around. It looks very much like if Harley were to build a late 70's Honda NightHawk. There was a long board meeting to figure out if that or the current road was best. From Early 80's to the mid 2000's it was the right path. I remember Cycle World had a long trip comparison between 6 "baggers"s of the time. The first couple of sentances was the comment that before the trip started everyone was fighting over who get the Harley first. The end of the artical was something along the lines of even though it was not the most powerful bike or best handleing there was still fighting about who would get to ride it last.
That is Harley for 40 years now. One line of high tech bike, VRSC, but not everone wants a 50 degree lean and 150HP. So Hd filled a gap for decades. Now we can argue that today that 40 years of development would be awesome in the water cooled v 4. Though it hard to argue that they made the wrong choice. We will see in 5 or so years where the indusrty is.
I did hear that bike sales worldwide for everyone has dropped. 3 years ago there was a scooter sales office on every corner. Now I think we have one, and one guy does work out of his garage.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Keep the left nut, you'll be happier.

V Fours are Very Cool in fact I saw a Unicorn today - an original 1986 Honda Interceptor. Looked and sounded great, went away pretty darn zippy ! I had to have one back when they were released it was leading edge at the time, but after seeing a streetbike up under a pickup I put my deposit over on a new liquid cooled CR250. Never got my V4. :banghead: H-D could have built one, project Nova or something later on. I think the Honda was 551 Lbs as a 750, with 86 Hp at the crank, and that's with Japanese engineering. Imagine what the H-D 1500-2000cc V 4 would weigh ? A double Revo would add 100 Lbs to the bike, minimum, so 750 -800 Lbs - Big, Heavy, even then it would never be as good as a V Max. No place to put any more gas, like a V Max. And you can get huge power out of a V Twin if done right, the bikes slimmer, easier to produce, less weight etc. Although very interesting, the complexity, cost, weight, low fuel range etc. of a V4 just didn't fit in H-D's line-up. Maybe they'll resurrect it in their " New Hundred Bikes " tease but how would it ever hold a candle to newer V4 bikes ? Most are race bikes not cruisers as well. Just don't see it. It's an answer to a question few have even asked. Keep your left nut CaveMan450 - you'll be happier to have it ! :blahblah: :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts