Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I'm looking at a VRSC.. mainly something that looks like the one above. Its obviously gonna be used. I'm curious as to see how maintenance friendly these are.. I"m looking at one that has about 10k miles so.. any suggestions or tips?

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
I have an '02 exactly like that and have 20,000 miles on it. I bought it after it sat for 6 years since new and haven't had any problems at all. Like anything else, if it's well taken care of these bikes run great!

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I heard a lot of different opinions about the VRSC family before I purchased...

One thing I heard consistently from MoCo service types was how well built and relatively trouble free these bikes are. That helped seal the deal for me and that they are freakin' awesome! lol

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I think that the people on this forum will agree with with this statement:

MOST OF YOUR PROBLEMS WITH THIS BIKE WILL BE SELF INFLICTED!!!!!

Example:

Victim's problem: Help! My engine light stays on all the time!

Response: Did you check for codes?

Victim: How do I do that?

Response: This forum/Vrod Technical/ Sticky:codes and Sticky:Reading codes.

Victim: I got a "P0113 Current IAT sensor open/high" Is this bad? Will I need a new engine? Is it expensive to fix?

Response: Don't panic. Did you have the air box cover off lately? Did you reconnect the IAT sensor when you put it back together?

Happy Victim: Wow! Thanks! That fixed her right up! Must have missed that when I INSTALLED THE BATTERY TENDER WIRE!

Same scenario, same victim, same problem, different symptom: My bike is spraying oil from under the air box! Help! Did you get the breather tubes back in properly?

Just like a computer, your problem is usually related to something YOU DID TO IT just before you have an unrelated problem. Add a used printer/have a problem?/update the driver. My sons laptop had a new motherboard installed by a factory tech, went to download iTunes for his iPhone and nothing but trouble.....found that the computers date/time was off by 18 months/12 hours. Put in the proper date/time, fixed all the issues.

Buy the service manual ($60), take to Fedex/Kinkos, have it drilled for 3 ring binding and have them shear off the spine ($5) and put it in a $12 leatherette binder (Fedex/Kinko's). Copy the pages you need for the garage and leave your manual pristine.

Be sure to buy the manual BEFORE you melt your ATM card buying mods.:D

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
99% of my few mechanical problems with my '07 were wrenching related, mostly crappy dealer service folks. The 1% of other problems have all been covered by the warranty and or extended warranty.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
The worst part is finding someone who Knows how to fix it at most dealerships.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone..what about riding it on long trips? I tend to drive from Arizona to California every so often which is about a 14 hr drive.. I know they have touring motorcycles but, how does this bike fair off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys thanks for the feedback, I"m gonna hold off on a vrod for now.. I really want a bike but the only thing throwing me off is getting back in debt.. I might wait about six months or so until I actually have cash money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts