Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im wondering if any one has experienced this problem, when i start driving my bike it usaly dies 2 times while i'm driving, and afther that its fine, if i then stops say at a gass station and starts it up again, same thing happenes.

Any clue to where i can start to look would be aprechiated! :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
My case might or might not be related to your problem:

Try checking the jiffy stand's copper pin bushing wear & tear. It could be that over time, due to wear & tear, jiffy stand's sensor detects a gap and thus relays a message that the jiffy stand is down, and hence, it cuts off the engine/gear. Something along that line, as told by my mechanic just now.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
I have an 08 DX and mine has no such kick stand sensor either. I know there are other bikes out there that will cut the motor if the kickstand is down but I have never known a V-Rod to have that feature.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My 2010 AW also does not have the kick stand sensor - maybe only the International or Canadien VROD's do?

·
Registered
655 Posts
It's a law in some country's all bikes shipped to Canada must have them for example.A very good idea actually,saved my ass at least once.And if the OP has one it could be the problem like adampj2000 says.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish it could be the jiffy stand, but mine has no sensor, im able to start and drive my bicke with that thing down. :)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Hi im wondering if any one has experienced this problem, when i start driving my bike it usaly dies 2 times while i'm driving, and afther that its fine, if i then stops say at a gass station and starts it up again, same thing happenes.

what model and year?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sounds like you have a dirty idle air control module ---I.A.C. You can clean it pretty easily with a good carb. cleaner. They usually cost around 54 bucks to replace .

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
The first thing you need to do is check for a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) being set. If there is one set it's a good starting point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you have a dirty idle air control module ---I.A.C. You can clean it pretty easily with a good carb. cleaner. They usually cost around 54 bucks to replace .
Yea that sounds like somthing i would check out, in the start it would cut just once and no more truble, but when it realy when't bad is when I drove almost 400 km in heavy rain.

Would like to check that foult log to but just right now im a continent away form home :)

Thx for all the help :)

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
My 06 has a similar issue. About once or twice during a full day riding, the motor will simply cut off. It acts just like I hit the kill switch. When I cycle the kill switch off and on, the problem corrects and I continue. Normally this happens while on the road at speed. The problem occurred both before and after the PCV was installed.

I have checked for an intermittent short in the kill switch and that isn't the problem. I assume some sort of software issue in the computer. I'm getting no codes.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
spare fuses , etc....

My 06 has a similar issue. About once or twice during a full day riding, the motor will simply cut off. It acts just like I hit the kill switch. When I cycle the kill switch off and on, the problem corrects and I continue. Normally this happens while on the road at speed. The problem occurred both before and after the PCV was installed.

I have checked for an intermittent short in the kill switch and that isn't the problem. I assume some sort of software issue in the computer. I'm getting no codes.
Change out all your fuses and iac . I carry spares with me at all times .

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts

Provided you're not using a Piggy Back fuel management system, the System Relay could be an issue. If they start letting go, they'll do so intermittently. They have a tendency to be worse when they're hot. It will get worse as time goes on, until it just gives up the ghost. Replace it and see if the issue continues.

·
Mark
271 Posts
My issue came while driving at highway speed...on/off/on, and it happened several times during the ride. Seemed random. I made it back to the shop and their diagnosis was some loose connection in the stock ignition switch. They said that my driving with stuff dangling from the key ring and flopping in the wind had loosened the inner workings of the switch, causing it to cut out and restart. No problems since they installed the new assembly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts