Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have VROD fever and I'm finally ready to buy one. I'm only 5-7' and reach the forward controls OK but I believe I would be more comfortable with mid-controls. So far the only model that I know for sure that has factory mid controls is the 2006 night rod. Anyone have the breakdown on other models with mid controls? I'm not opposed to modifying the fwd controls but I would rather not have to spend the money.

Thanks

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
That's it for "Factory Installed Mid Controls" on a V-Rod (some will Chime in that the VRSCR aka Street Rod is also mid controlled, It is but its NOT a True V-Rod, it sits much higher, different seating position and all around Horrid design).
I know q few people Shorter than you that ride DX's and other models with the After MArket Mid Control Set Up and its Not that expensive so If you Find a Deal on a used bike dont let that deter you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. You confirmed what I thought was available in mid controls but just wanted to see if I was missing a model. Since I'm pretty sure I'm done growing I will take your advice and not let the controls deter me.

Thanks

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
There is also a reduced reach control option for the forward control bikes too, if you'd prefer to stay forward but not be so stretched out.

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
The Night Rod (VRSCD) was made for several years ('06 being the first) and all years had mid controls, including the '08 Miller Lite special edition version.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
The VRSCD is Still one of my Favorite Models of all time. Unfortunately most people know how "Rare " it is and charge Much more than Other VRSC models from the same years.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
That's it for "Factory Installed Mid Controls" on a V-Rod (some will Chime in that the VRSCR aka Street Rod is also mid controlled, It is but its NOT a True V-Rod, it sits much higher, different seating position and all around Horrid design).
I know q few people Shorter than you that ride DX's and other models with the After MArket Mid Control Set Up and its Not that expensive so If you Find a Deal on a used bike dont let that deter you.

WTF !!! Now we granulate what is and isn't a Harley even further? Not only is the V-Rod not a "Real Harley" (it is) but now the Street Rod isn't a "Real V-Rod" Bullsh1t.
Try a Street Rod for grins. Aside from being the best handling of all the V-Rod models and a fine motorcycle by any standard, you might find that the R's extra two inches of seat height makes a big difference in knee comfort, if perhaps you find the D's lower seat a bit cramped for the knees. Having ridden forward control V-Rods and owning a pair of R's I can tell you that the mid controls are the only way to go with the kind of power a V-Rod makes. With your feet out in front of you, there is no way to adequately brace for a hard launch other than a death grip on the bars. The bike is fast enough to roll you back and take your feet off of forward controls. They also suck for cornering. With mid controls you have much better control of the bike.
I'm six feet tall and tour on my R. I run with guys on VFR's and FZ1's all the time. The R is perfect for fast company and long distances with a windshield, tank bag and the HD Sport Saddlebags. The choice becomes function over style in my eye. The R and to a lesser extent the D are the more functional of the many V-Rod models made. The A,B,AW,DX and F all sacrifice function and comfort for style. Choose wisely.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
The dude's 5'7". I doubt he wants to sit on the R and have both feet swinging in space. I've had that problem and although you can adapt, I love the seat height of my A model.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm 5'7" and with the reduced reach seat I'm comfortable. The low seat height is one of the many things that brought me to my '02.

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE]

You sir have violated the 6th commandment "Tou shalt respect all models"

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
A "Street Night Rod"...

I've done extensive research. I'm also 5'7", and knew I needed the mid controls. My options were narrowed to the '06 to '08 VRSCD. The 08 would have been preferred with the 5 gallon tank and 1250cc engine. But, it all adds weight into the bike, and the engine sleeves can easily be changed to turn an 1130cc into a 1250cc. I ended up getting a VRSCD 06 model for a very good price.

But, for those that need strong performance and cornering, but a bike low enough to touch the ground, I would get the VRSCD Night Rod, and then raise it. The seat is low enough so you can touch the ground, but will perform and gain a greater lean angle with 13" high performance shocks (Ohlins, Penske, Bitubo), and front suspension.

To take things further: the rake of the VRSCD is 36 degrees, and makes for difficult cornering and turning. The Street Rod inverted forks will respond more strongly, resist twisting in high G cornering and turns, and with the trees, will change the angle to 32 degrees. While not an appropriate 25 like a sport bike, it will greatly increase the cornering ability of the VRSCD Night Rod.

With these modifications, the ground clearance should be the same height as the Street Rod and comparable to many other sport bikes out there, while the seat height will not be nearly as high.

I've done extensive research into turning the VRSCD Night Rod into a formidable opponent against a Ducati 998R or 1098R. If anyone wants the specifications and research notes I've compiled, feel free to contact me. If you prefer to do your own research, look for these things for your bike in this order:

1. Suspension: HP and Torque means nothing if you cant get it all to the wheels, along with cornering ability. The current lean angle of a VRSCD is 32 degrees with a floor clearance of only 4"-5", while the VRSCR is 40 degrees and just over 6" in ground clearance. The 13" shocks will fix that.

1.5 Tuning: Also, look into the Thunder Max Replacement ECM (google it!). It completely removes the current ECM, and changes the entire performance characteristics of the V-Rod. Did you know these bikes actually redline at almost 11,500rpm? Neither did I, and that's all the more power we could get out of the bikes. These should be your first steps... tuning and suspension.

2. Weight: Start finding ways to lighten up the bike: carbon fibre, and forged aluminium. Junk the current exhaust system, and find a BALANCED replacement (the stock system weighs 40lbs!); also, dump the wheels and go with Marchesini wheels to lighten it up even more.

3. Power: Start rebuilding the engine. Up it to a 1250 if it isn't already. Start modifying the intake manifold, and rebuilding the entire top end like a Ducati: ported and polished, titanium valves, much stronger, higher revving, and smoother timing. How the top end of these engines work will define its characteristics.

Look at a Ducati Classic 1000R... the V-Rod, in terms of technology and basic engineering isn't much different (i.e. frame, suspension, and comparable handling performance). There's no reason why a VRSC(d,r, dx, et al) could not match the engineering of a Ducati Classic, while meeting some of the similar performance specs of the 998 or 1098, if done right.

I'll start taking pictures of my own bike when I can afford to start making these modifications myself, along with actual performance specifications as I get them.

Best of luck to everyone,
~ Wolf

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
QUOTE]

You sir have violated the 6th commandment "Tou shalt respect all models"
Please, I am the Pope of the "Atheists" of that religion.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
(some will Chime in that the VRSCR aka Street Rod is also mid controlled, It is but its NOT a True V-Rod, it sits much higher, different seating position and all around Horrid design).
Yes, the R is a horrible design but its all V-Rod and definitely all Harley. Same frame technology and engine with just a different bag of shortcomings.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
I've done extensive research. I'm also 5'7", and knew I needed the mid controls. My options were narrowed to the '06 to '08 VRSCD. The 08 would have been preferred with the 5 gallon tank and 1250cc engine. But, it all adds weight into the bike, and the engine sleeves can easily be changed to turn an 1130cc into a 1250cc. I ended up getting a VRSCD 06 model for a very good price.

But, for those that need strong performance and cornering, but a bike low enough to touch the ground, I would get the VRSCD Night Rod, and then raise it. The seat is low enough so you can touch the ground, but will perform and gain a greater lean angle with 13" high performance shocks (Ohlins, Penske, Bitubo), and front suspension.

To take things further: the rake of the VRSCD is 36 degrees, and makes for difficult cornering and turning. The Street Rod inverted forks will respond more strongly, resist twisting in high G cornering and turns, and with the trees, will change the angle to 32 degrees. While not an appropriate 25 like a sport bike, it will greatly increase the cornering ability of the VRSCD Night Rod.

With these modifications, the ground clearance should be the same height as the Street Rod and comparable to many other sport bikes out there, while the seat height will not be nearly as high.

I've done extensive research into turning the VRSCD Night Rod into a formidable opponent against a Ducati 998R or 1098R. If anyone wants the specifications and research notes I've compiled, feel free to contact me. If you prefer to do your own research, look for these things for your bike in this order:

1. Suspension: HP and Torque means nothing if you cant get it all to the wheels, along with cornering ability. The current lean angle of a VRSCD is 32 degrees with a floor clearance of only 4"-5", while the VRSCR is 40 degrees and just over 6" in ground clearance. The 13" shocks will fix that.

1.5 Tuning: Also, look into the Thunder Max Replacement ECM (google it!). It completely removes the current ECM, and changes the entire performance characteristics of the V-Rod. Did you know these bikes actually redline at almost 11,500rpm? Neither did I, and that's all the more power we could get out of the bikes. These should be your first steps... tuning and suspension.

2. Weight: Start finding ways to lighten up the bike: carbon fibre, and forged aluminium. Junk the current exhaust system, and find a BALANCED replacement (the stock system weighs 40lbs!); also, dump the wheels and go with Marchesini wheels to lighten it up even more.

3. Power: Start rebuilding the engine. Up it to a 1250 if it isn't already. Start modifying the intake manifold, and rebuilding the entire top end like a Ducati: ported and polished, titanium valves, much stronger, higher revving, and smoother timing. How the top end of these engines work will define its characteristics.

Look at a Ducati Classic 1000R... the V-Rod, in terms of technology and basic engineering isn't much different (i.e. frame, suspension, and comparable handling performance). There's no reason why a VRSC(d,r, dx, et al) could not match the engineering of a Ducati Classic, while meeting some of the similar performance specs of the 998 or 1098, if done right.

I'll start taking pictures of my own bike when I can afford to start making these modifications myself, along with actual performance specifications as I get them.

Best of luck to everyone,
~ Wolf
I'm going to argue with you.
Most of what you said is correct, but when you're all done your going to have a bike that won't handle as well as a duck, and cost around three times as much. I think you're going to piss away a ton of money making a sows ear out of a silk purse.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Everyone here has an opinion, get used to the condradicitng ones.

Lux gave you some sound advice. Get the best deal on a solid used bike and then add the mid-controls. The difference in seat hieght between some models and the R (StreetRod) can be significant, 4 inches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-Rod

Wiki is your friend.

There are things you can do like changing the seat, putting an adapter in the foot pegs and changing handlerbars or risers. Good luck

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I'm going to argue with you.
Most of what you said is correct, but when you're all done your going to have a bike that won't handle as well as a duck, and cost around three times as much. I think you're going to piss away a ton of money making a sows ear out of a silk purse.
:them: And it will be far too heavy to play with a Ducati.

Cheaper in the end to have two bikes.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts