Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Should VRods have Windshields?

• VRods should NEVER sport a windshield?

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • VRods are fine with a windshield?

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • For touring or long rides VRods may have detatchable windshields?

Votes: 31 35.6%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Maybe I am spoilt, but I ride with the cruiser windsheild at all times. Getting a littel old I guess. A few years ago a friend told me that if I started to use one I would never take it off. He was right as far as i am consernd.:2cents I don't feel like I have to work as had at 75 or 80 mph behind it. Just my style.

:biker:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually Redbud, I think I am with you. I remember when I got my first Fatboy, I tried to look really cool and go without a windshield. My first long trip was from the Toronto area to the 95th Anniversary ride in Milwaukee - suffice it to say I was swearing under my breath and could not move my neck for days.

I proceeded immediately to the vendor sections and had a detatchable installed or else I was walking home and having the bike shipped before going through that again.

Now with my new VRod just delivered I am facing the same decision again but common sense is not winning out yet!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have riden 4300 mi so far with out one, and so far, I'm not not planning on getting one any time soon.

BTW: I have yet to see a V-Rod with a shield that I like....

-Bry

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
That's the joy of owning a motorcycle (at least one from the motor company). So many choices on how to outfit your ride the way you want it.

Sure, they look better without, but for long rides- my touring shield makes it more comfortable.

Detachable is the only way to go... for me.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
It's one of those personal taste/personal comfort things.

I have the worthless SS windshield that's been through many adjustments and works for me now, the main problem to solve being head-buffeting. I get too tired on long rides and at high speeds without some protection. I tried the touring windshield and just hated it, so went back to the SS. It gives me enough protection without interfering with my view of the road, but I have a short upper body and am not very wide. If I were much bigger, it wouldn't work.

So, whether you get one and which one probably depend on how much effort you want to expend holding on, how much touring and freeway riding you do and how big you are.

·
1,738 Posts
The good thing about the V-Rod is that it can be whatever you want it to be. An alternative to a custom chopper, or a geezer glide with limited range. I admire those who have taken their bikes to either extreme, and also those who recognize the beauty of the bike in its stock form.

Those of us who choose a touring shield do so not for looks, but for comfort. If all my trips were to the bar and back, I would not probably not use one. However, I put 7200 mostly long haul miles on the bike this year and I have used the "easy off" feature of the HD touring shield exactly once.

Redbud is correct, once you do shield you don't go back.

Fred:biker:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I'm with V-Fred. But he knows that.

·
DX Rider
630 Posts
Not only does the dragster V-Rod look, um, interesting if not odd with a windshield, but V-Rod windshields have minimal effect with the wind and actually cause some buffeting with the wind rushing up from underneath. Just wear a full face like a drag racer and be cool ;).

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Wind Vest is still the best!

See my post on the thread titled: "Favorite Mods" on 11-27-03
Under V-Rod General (forum) for comments on the one that has served me best in looks and performance. Verrry easy to use!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I think that as far as the sport wind shield is concerned, it probbley has little effect. I rode to Sturges this summer 4700 miles posted speed limets of 75 mpr. From my experiece the cruiser wind shield has a great efect on how I felt at the end of the day. And I like the way it looks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the sport windshield. I had it installed that day I bought it so I did not get the chance to ride it without it on. It looks great. I can't wear a ball hat like my friend with the Honda Goldwing but I think it takes a big chunk of the wind off my chest. The bigger windshield don't look as good to me. But to each their own....

Doug

·
Ride on!
267 Posts
I got a windshield for her shortly after purchase. At 60 MPH or more my goggles started buffeting, going up and down, it made it unsafe to go any faster. I returned it to the dealer and have been riding without one sense, 5400 miles so far. The wind takes a little getting use to, but now I can cruise at 70 plus and the wind doesn’t bother me at all. To each his own.

Ride on!

Today we had to go for a ride, 35 degrees but sunny, I was having withdraws. What a ride!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I fitted the Sport Windshield to my V Rod, and am quite happy with it.
It removed a lot of wind force on my chest , and removed the high pitch wind noise in my full face helmet (which is all I wear on the V Rod).
I still get wind noise (on the bike!) but it is now lower in pitch, which is good for my ears as I ride 130kms per day.

Best wishes all.

Ken.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I bought the sport windshield (replacement like vrodvinny did) and I am contemplating etching it . The windshield I would like would be like the ones on page 730 of the 2004 H-D parts book.I drove all last year without one though and had to go with a full face helmet (helmets stink). I drive 67 miles one way to work and my eyes would hurt like heck no matter what glasses I wear. I have Panoptx, and other assorted Oakley, WileyX . So I bought a new helmet and will try to make a go of th tinyest fairing. I like my American flag sticker , it is a tradition that I have done since I visited "The Wall" when I was much younger(I bought a flag and sticker from the donation people). I have always kept up with that since and will not stick anything directly on my vehicles. So that is my opinion. Small is what I am going to try.
'nuff said,
BobT

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Hey Dragon - It is stated elsewhere, but if you go with the touring shield, Memphis Shade lowers are a big help with the updraft. Probably help with other shields as well, but there is no data.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
So Dragon.... Aren't you glad that you asked??? ;) As you can see it's a personal preference thet you will have to decide for yourself. Good Luck!!!

-Bry

·
Registered
126 Posts
never have... never will. For cold or real windy days, do wear full face. Should wear it all the time ,but still trying to get used to it. can't see $hit!!!!! vBut if i were to get one it would be the sport. Saw a touring on v-rod at dealer last week,just looked way to big. The owner liked it; so thats all that counts.

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Personally, I don't care for the look of a windshield on the 'Rod (I don't use it for long-distance touring, either). Different strokes... LOL!

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
I'm with Kim. I put a HD touring windshield with Memphis Shades lowers and they do work. But it kills the 'slinky' look of the V-Rod so I took them off. Besides you can't go very far with that bike before looking for fuel. That's why I ride the Road King for trips and general all day rides.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts