Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Fairing or NAKED

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never thought I would do it. I withstood wind, rain and yes, even snow assaulting me on long rides and road trips.

Let’s not forget any “passenger feedback” and my wife —she deserves being able to provide it having logged several hundreds of miles, some of them brutal, riding tail gunner.

I FINALLY broke down and bought a fairing. “Fitment Photos” I still need to install:

So where are you? If you roll with a fairing post up some pictures. What made you get a fairing.

If you still go NAKED, why?

Especially fairing-less riders who have done over 300 a day mile rides/multiple day road trips.

I feel somewhat torn, like I have done something inappropriate like adding a lift kit to a Honda Civic.

·
-MIG
76 Posts
I'm all about "Ride your own Ride". That said, I'm still naked because I'm blessed and have my Triumph Rocket III Touring as my long haul tourer. I love my V-Rod, Delilah, just the way she is but haven't done multi-day trips. I've seen some hideous fairings (IMHO), but yours fits well and will look good once installed. I'd be interested to hear if it induces any buffeting issues. ...and as you said, taking care of your real-boss/wife is important. (y):cool:
-MIG

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-MIG. Thanks for your thoughts. Triumph Rocket III. Supercool. I think the GT would be a potential touring bike for me—down the line $$$. I am curious about the buffeting as well—though small, this fairing will hopefully redirect the flow off my chest, and over my helmet. I will post up thought once I have ridden it in some weather.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Honestly don’t know why I’m not a faring guy, but I like all the wind coming at me, and I live in a big city so it’s a lot of stop and go before I get to a highway for a longer ride. I do dig the cowel on the DX though. Considered fitting my F with one.

·
VRSC est -03
2,984 Posts
Thats a good looking cowl. Do it.

One step closer to a full sized V-rod bagger? :eek:

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD Night Rod
32 Posts
I put a larger one on mine. The original didn't deflect enough wind. I live in Iowa and on a ride last fall I was hit in the neck by a rather large bug. Not sure what it was but it gave me a big welt. At that point I decided I needed something to deflect bugs. The only problem is that now the headlight is recessed too far back. I'll have to come up with a fix for that.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
I doubt you will notice any difference in the ride. That little fairing looks great on your bike. But has zero function out on the road. It is made for looks. A multiple day ride will give you all the explanation you will need. You will still be a parachute. You will start hearing an ear piercing noise from the back seat after a short while. Cheaper to get rid of it noise than trying to make a passenger happy on the back of a VROD. Worked for me. lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly don’t know why I’m not a faring guy, but I like all the wind coming at me, and I live in a big city so it’s a lot of stop and go before I get to a highway for a longer ride. I do dig the cowel on the DX though. Considered fitting my F with one.
I like rolling NAKED, which is why I felt like I was doing something wrong when I bought the fairing. Trying to make the NRS something it was not originally meant to be.

If I had the green $$$, I would have a touring motorcycle for trips while using the NRS for ripping, and commutes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put a larger one on mine. The original didn't deflect enough wind. I live in Iowa and on a ride last fall I was hit in the neck by a rather large bug. Not sure what it was but it gave me a big welt. At that point I decided I needed something to deflect bugs. The only problem is that now the headlight is recessed too far back. I'll have to come up with a fix for that.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
BMaunu — excellent photo of your fairing set up. Your fairing looks great. “Dope” as the kids say nowadays.

While the “fitment” pictures show me holding the fairing in place over the stock NRS headlight,

I am going to replace the stock headlight with a new 5 3/4” inch housing. I am going to put a PATHFINDER black LED lamp in. I have an adapter to push the housing forward into the fairing. Hopefully it will look (and more importantly function) right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt you will notice any difference in the ride. That little fairing looks great on your bike. But has zero function out on the road. It is made for looks. A multiple day ride will give you all the explanation you will need. You will still be a parachute. You will start hearing an ear piercing noise from the back seat after a short while. Cheaper to get rid of it noise than trying to make a passenger happy on the back of a VROD. Worked for me. lol
noechamp,Wind is nice when the passenger feedback gets pitched. I like the ability to cut the intercom and turn up the tunes.

You have a point, this is more of a cowl then a fairing, and I may still get buffeted. I am hoping it will reduce some of the “parachute” effect. If I reduce at a minimum 25%of wind, will be worth it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's all a matter of personal preference. Can be for protection, can be for looks, the reason doesn't matter as long as you like and can live with it.
I know personally something that punches a hole in the wind so I don't have to take the brunt of it is a plus.
rc4man, well said. My reason is like yours, any reduction in the buffet factor will be a win. 😎🤙

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD Night Rod
32 Posts
BMaunu — excellent photo of your fairing set up. Your fairing looks great. “Dope” as the kids say nowadays.

While the “fitment” pictures show me holding the fairing in place over the stock NRS headlight,

I am going to replace the stock headlight with a new 5 3/4” inch housing. I am going to put a PATHFINDER black LED lamp in. I have an adapter to push the housing forward into the fairing. Hopefully it will look (and more importantly function) right.
Is the bracket you have for the original fairing or is this an aftermarket fairing? If it is an aftermarket, where did you get the bracket to mount the headlight?

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the bracket you have for the original fairing or is this an aftermarket fairing? If it is an aftermarket, where did you get the bracket to mount the headlight?

BMaunu, I ordered the headlight mount, housing and fairing through Ghost Rider Customs. Ironically the custom mounting bracket was accidentally not included in the box with the housing, fairing, fairing mounts and PathFinder LED. so my fairing install is on hold.

Aaron Aubrey the owner of Ghost Rider Customs is getting the headlight mounting bracket and will be shipping it to me. I like Aaron and his company as in my experience when a past paint issue popped up on my VRSCA build, Aaron corrected it. Custom parts take time, so I am willing to wait.

More time to ride the NRS this weekend. NAKED. 95 temps forecasted and high humidity in here Minnesota, southern neighbor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info.

De nada, amigo. As I modify more V/NRods I am thinking I need to build custom fabrication skills.

When you look at some of the custom adapters needed, headlight mounts for fairings and cowls, mid control adapters to forward controls, if you can’t fabricate, you are SOL and going to pay bank$$$ for hardware.

it amazes me that the only game in V/NRod town for mid controls is a sketchy looking Japanese company named after a sketchy AMC show... ...C’mon, really?

Where is that hungry young fabricator, or talented experienced fabricator who could tap into our V/NR community making popular requested mid controls or adjustable headlight mounts for the hard working V/NR riders without the bend over on the wallet?

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Sota I think the fairing will look great on your bike, perfect match ! I've got the H-D mid height sport clear windshield on my R ( bike came with it ) and to be honest it's a Function over Form item for me. I'm a slave to fashion and lookin' cool is always lookin' cool but I really don't want to spend a lot of time at 75 - 85 Mph cruising without it, it's great protection from highway kick up dirt, pebbles, debris, bugs, etc. The older I get the higher and more pullback my R handlebars have gotten ( stock DX now ) which puts my helmet up into the wind just a bit I've noticed - probably going to a new W/S with a curved kick up at the top to get my still air envelope back. Nothing better than getting outta the wind for long periods of riding time and/or at high speed for an older guy with a Ti plate in his neck. Works for me and being clear almost invisible. Enjoy your cowl fairing it'll look great, if you don't need a W/S don't get one yet but don't feel bad about putting that on your bike for one second. Oh and welcome to the aging higher handle bar / taller windshield club. It grows on ya. (y):LOL:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sota....I like the look of the cowl!
If I could easily mount the older vrod cowl on my '13 DX I would do it. The OEM "thumb-nail" cowl is useless and doesn't hide the ugly goose neck stem that holds the speedo, etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sota I think the fairing will look great on your bike, perfect match ! I've got the H-D mid height sport clear windshield on my R ( bike came with it ) and to be honest it's a Function over Form item for me. I'm a slave to fashion and lookin' cool is always lookin' cool but I really don't want to spend a lot of time at 75 - 85 Mph cruising without it, it's great protection from highway kick up dirt, pebbles, debris, bugs, etc. The older I get the higher and more pullback my R handlebars have gotten ( stock DX now ) which puts my helmet up into the wind just a bit I've noticed - probably going to a new W/S with a curved kick up at the top to get my still air envelope back. Nothing better than getting outta the wind for long periods of riding time and/or at high speed for an older guy with a Ti plate in his neck. Works for me and being clear almost invisible. Enjoy your cowl fairing it'll look great, if you don't need a W/S don't get one yet but don't feel bad about putting that on your bike for one second. Oh and welcome to the aging higher handle bar / taller windshield club. It grows on ya. (y):LOL:
streetrodracer, great wisdom, compadre. I will probably pull the trigger on a full functional windshield, motivated by noechamp’s epic road touring photos. More road on the trip, the more need to block the wind—especially at or below freezing.

My customized cowl uses the Memphis Shades mounting brackets with Ghost Rider fork mounts, so I may have the capability to mount a “Memphis Shade” friendly touring windscreen.

I like being able to adapt different wind buffet options depending on the ride.😎🤙

1 - 20 of 22 Posts