Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Purchased a 6800 mile tastefully customized 2003 100th Anniversary Edition VRSCA last month. It's my first bike. You can read more about it over in the "new guy" forum if ya want. A few bike pics are in my "garage" so go ahead and check them out there, as it appears I'm too new to this site to post pics in threads yet.

Back when the Vrod was introduced, it wasn't immediately embraced by traditional HD riders. I've read that they were referred to as "Jap bikes" or "Sport bikes" by traditionalists. Some would say it's never been embraced. Others accept that it's a HD, albeit different, but a HD none-the-less, so no issues.

Anyway....my question is this: How are VRod owners viewed by the more traditional "air cooled" HD crowd, given that it is so different? I mean, they've had since 2001 to get used to it. Can I take my bike to a gathering/show/bar and roll right up? Or can I expect to park in the corner away from the traditional bikes? Obviously, I'd like to think that a VRod rider would be welcomed, and I truly hope that is the case and I've heard that will be the case by most riders I've asked. Yet, there have been a few dissenters.

Full discloser: I'm a hardcore Mustang guy and I know that if I'm at a car show or a race, and someone pulls in with a 1973 - 1978 Mustang, the car is generally considered an underpowered ugly duckling, and doesn't receive the same respect as other model years.

So how does it work for VRods?

Thanks all....

Swill

·
Tie One On
1,647 Posts
if you cant roll into any group of airhead harleys jap cc bikes or any other bike types out there you dont want to be associated with them anyway so F uk em all is my opinion

·
Registered
245 Posts
I ride an airhead, v-rod and a honda. Never an issue. Most are curious about the v-rod. The riders I know just like bikes no matter the type.

BTW, I'm a corvette guy and the 73-78 ponies are underpowered ugly ducklings. Lmao

·
Registered
684 Posts
can I ask you a question? when you picked your wife or girl friend did you worry about what other people would think ? I do not think so . So with your vrod it is what you wanted just enjoy it . most people around my age I think after I talk to them for a while most of the time it come's down to how much power they have I think a lot of them are just afraid of it and like to stay with the slower bike's. Just remember what a guy told me back in the 60's about a car I had he said boy i would take care of that car you can not buy one like that any more you can buy a new car any day that what they make them for but you can not go buy one like you have because they do not make any more of them. and that is the way the vrod will be That old man was a hell of a lot smarter than me the car was a 69 mustang cobra . so just get on the v rod and run the hell out of it and enjoy it . they had a song years back that pretty much sums it up It says you can not please every one so you have to please your self.so do not worry about what other people think just enjoy your life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, fellas...

Do not confuse me asking this question with me actually giving a crap about what others think of my bike...LOL!! Those are two altogether different things!! I love it, the wife loves it. We're good. I just always wondered this...

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Nothing to worry about V Rods are cool most places.Wait till the Livewire turns up then you'll see the bias come out.Only got to mention them here and the fossilheads go into meltdown.:chair:

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
It's a bike, not a lifestyle decision or a Declaration of Faith.

Some people love them, some people hate them, most won't care one way or the other.

A lot of riders I've run into can't believe the bike's pushing 10-20 years old (depending on model)-- I've had a fair number of younger riders ask me if my F is a new production model that H-D just came out with (which is always worth a chuckle, and shows you what knuckleheads H-D's marketing department are).

But, do you really care?

If YOU (or more realistically, your WIFE) likes the bike, then go have fun and enjoy the experience-- ride the wheels off of the damn thing!

The bike's for YOUR (or again, your WIFE'S) enjoyment, not for "cool points" from some random guy you'll never see again, so take anything said about your bike with a large grain of salt. I've had guys rage over my bike, I've had it be "invisible" when parked next to my wife's tricked-out Nightster, and I've had the occasional "I wouldn't be caught dead riding that thing" comment.

I smile, accept the compliments, laugh at the air-head "Pirate Faithful", and shrug at any derogatory comments, realizing that my bike is EXACTLY what ***I*** want.

Well, unless I'm road-tripping on my GS. :D

Just my 0.02. Ymmv.

R.

R.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,667 Posts
I've definitely had issues with the pirate crowd. Only a couple of times but it has happened. When anyone starts throwing unsolicited negative comments my way I tend to be rather hostile. Not mature enough yet I guess. Oh well, maybe when I hit 60.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
Most of the anti VROD chatter I experienced originated from H/D dealership service depts.
That's just because a) almost nothing ever breaks on these bikes and b) H-D seems to have sort of gone out of their way NOT to sell accessories for these bikes.

Cancelling the F saddlebags while the bike was still in production? Really? WTF?

·
Laid back grump
30 Posts
I swear, all this "V Rod Hate" is urban myth spread on various fora just to stir the pot. In all the years I've owned my VRSCF I've never come across anyone with a negative comment. Some might say, "nice bike, just not my style" or "that thing just screams 'tickets'", but otherwise the bike receives raves and respect for what it is: A power cruiser designed to bring in non-traditional Harley owners.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I swear, all this "V Rod Hate" is urban myth spread on various fora just to stir the pot. In all the years I've owned my VRSCF I've never come across anyone with a negative comment. Some might say, "nice bike, just not my style" or "that thing just screams 'tickets'", but otherwise the bike receives raves and respect for what it is: A power cruiser designed to bring in non-traditional Harley owners.
It hasn't happened to you so therefore it must be bull$hit? Perhaps you just don't get out enough or ride enough. Some of us have been riding a V-Rod since it came out. A lot has changed regarding the rhetoric since then.

·
Full Throttle
45 Posts
I've only had my v-rod (2014 NRS) a short while, but have ridden it to a couple Bike Nights, where the majority (90%+) of bikes there are HD. I've had one guy ask me about it as he never knew HD made such a "radical" bike. Another HD guy said, "Damn that looks fast!" But never a negative word, at least spoken aloud.
If it weren't for the v-rod models, I probably wouldn't own a Harley.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most of the anti VROD chatter I experienced originated from H/D dealership service depts.
Hmmmmm.....my bike is at the local HD dealership right now. The Service Manager was actually raving over the bike and called one of his buddies in, who also has a customized VRod, to check it out. But I guess what works for some might not work for others. Oh well...

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
My experiance has been that other than some of my friends good-natured ribbing me about it,all I've had were either compliments or honest questions about my bike. Both from other riders and Dealership droids and the public as well.

But then I don't go around "Proselytizing" the V Rod as the best thing since Gottlieb Daimler's Einspur.

For that matter, I couldn't care less how I'm viewed by traditional "air cooled" HD crowd. Or the V-Rod crowd either.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just had my buddie's dad say last night that it's a girl's bike. He's in his 60s so he's been around a while. I just thought it was funny because his son had previously asked me if he could buy it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.