Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a domain "VRodracing.com". I have been talking to Max about some ideas and possibly trying to collaberate with Vrodforums.com. I wanted to hear from the members about their thoughts and potential interest in such a site. Let me layout a few of the ideas that I have had and please share your thoughts with me - I am really interested in your opinions. Here are some of my thides. First I was thinking that the site could feature various racers, providing a profile of their racing program, pictures of their bike, set-up details, racing schedule, reports and notes. Possibly also provide the racers the opportunity to promote their sponsors and maybe even try to find some interested parties that want to provide sponsorship benefits to the featured racers/members. Also I would try to develop or collect articles related to racing and building race setups. Now I have also been talking to Max about the possibility of having a racing section in the vrodforum so that all of the members can observe and participate in the dialogue. Some of this info I would try to use as source material, possibly with additional interviews for developing articles. Some of the recent threads like Kaz's seems to indicate a need for trying to gain support and sponsorship for racing - so I was thinking that this might provide some help as it increases exposure to the VRod community and the internet as a whole. Any thoughts from racers, fans, potential racing sponssors, regular riders who are interested(or not) in racing and high performance, etc? I appreciate your feedback. Racers would you like a public forum and/or a private forum. Racers would you want a place to promote sponsors or prefer to keep it focused mostly on the machines and the racing. Any suppliers with an interest in racing have thoughts?
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
That sounds good kevin, then i only have to go to one spot to find results on you,kaz,jamie..and others..instead of seaching AMA site..etc.
You might have to beat Kaz's setup details out of him.
Also racers feedback on what setups do not work would be great to read, and what setup works best for us weekend warriors.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
All the above.
But like Shawn said you'll have to beat it outta Kaz.Like many other racers.You know they keep some things to themselves.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kaz will be a great personality to feature - he is so far on the edge that he has little to worry about from folks imitating - as that would be a major investment of time, bike and money - I predict he will be a star on the site - and we will have to convince him to lay it out for us.... I know I am curious to hear about is new setups.
Kevin

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I too would like to know about his new setups.Have a feeling they are gonna be pretty sick.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I like the VRodracing.com idea. Hopefully it can be carefully linked to a "Racing" forum here at v-rodforums.com. Though if there is a new "Racing" forum, I think it will pull some of the juicy posts out of the other forums. When posting a performance tip, does it go into "Racing" or "Hi-Performance"?

Regarding sponsors, I am somewhat skeptical about those ideas actually attracting real help. I've been trying to attract sponsors to my racing via several of my web sites, and it hasn't been much help. I get a lot of traffic to my sites, but still no luck via the internet. Actually, today (but probably not tomorrow), if you go to Yahoo.com, and search for "v-rod", my site comes up at the TOP of the list. Even with results like that, plus MANY magazine articles, and winning a lot, I don't hear from potential sponsors. If I don't contact them directly myself, and in person, they don't pay any attention. But hey, maybe you'll have better luck than me. It doesn't hurt to try!

One of the great values I see to racers is that most don't have their own web site, so they need a place to showcase their racing. Your site could provide that in a way that's not really possible in a forum like here.

If there is anything on my site that would interest you, you're welcome to it: Hog Wild Racing

Best of luck with the new site!

Scott

p.s. Max, can you add a new forum called "Raz Kaz"?

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott - If you are interested you can be a featured racer with links back to your site - I have some ideas on sponsorship - discounted parts that some distributers might be interested in - but you are right that can be painful - but we will see - I have a great sponsorship from my local dealer - Spirit Harley Davidson that has worked out very well for me - so I have not really pursued many additionals - when I have I tend to get cold feet as I recognize the amount of committment that the incremental sponsorship requires - but you have a good point - I really want to learn more about your program - it looks wild that is for sure.
Kevin

·
Registered
290 Posts
kspz3 said:
Scott - If you are interested you can be a featured racer ...
Thanks! When the time comes (whenever you're ready), we can talk about putting together something for your site. Though I would think you want someone like Kaz before you feature an oddity like my machine.

...I have some ideas on sponsorship - discounted parts that some distributers might be interested in ...
That's an angle I think will work well!

I have a great sponsorship from my local dealer...
Me too. Bartels' has done VERY well for me, even helping me get two free motors from MoCo. If a racer doesn't have a good relationship with a dealer, they are in for lots of tough times.

kspz3 said:
... so I have not really pursued many additionals - when I have I tend to get cold feet as I recognize the amount of committment that the incremental sponsorship requires...
You hit upon an important point for me. I've learned to pass up most sponsorships offering a "discount" on products. Even for a hundred bucks savings, it's not worth all the effort of keeping them regularly informed and happy, unless the relationship with them can lead to something much bigger. For the racers that want a bunch of product discounts try this: Sponsor House It really does work if you want to spend a bunch of money (at a discount price of course) on racing stuff.

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Keeping sponsors informed is as easy as sending a ZIP file containing a race report and some photos after your event. Even easier is to maintain a mailing list of sponsors and potential sponsors, and shoot a mass e-mail containing a link to the race report and photos maintained on your website.

When discussing sponsorship, provide a written contract that defines the obligations of both parties. That way, expectations are clearly defined and there should be no issues.

Dealers are the preferred option for "in-kind" sponsorship. Parts distributors and manufacturers will most frequently provide free or heavily discounted product - which is certainly worthwhile.

Remember, sponsorship is a form of advertising which you are selling. Don't lose that perspective - be personable, professional (and that includes following up/through on YOUR commitments) and you'd be surprised what kind of support is out there.

Of course, cash is the "holy grail" of sponsorship... As in any other type of sales, look first within your "sphere of influence"... local businesses with whom you already have established a relationship. Know in advance what it is you want from them, and be reasonable in your expectations of what you will provide in return. How will you "add value" to their business?

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kim - wise advice from seasoned racer - We need you to join the VRod racing community - we could have a quick-chicks section...... Hey I actually got the site up and running - it is merely a draft - I was trying to see if I could get anything to work at all - this is the first time I have actually done anything with a site - so pay no attention to the content I was just trying to see If I could post pictures, make links, add text, make a menu etc. - Long way to go but I am proud that I could get over the first hurdle - I hope that I do better at racing this year than my crude attempts at building a website. Beyond sponsorship issues are there things that folks would like to see on the site - Shawn I think that a problem section and did not work as expected is notes is a good idea - I am dealing with a setup problem on my electric shift setup as we speak - a setup issue that I was unaware of when I speced the setup - fortunately Rick N was there to share his setup config which I believe will resolve my problem. It was a design error on my part - not a product issue - but still a pain in the neck that I could have avoided with propoer information if it had been available.
Kevin

·
FASTESTSTKBLTDRV
1,267 Posts
v-rod racing

count cycle nuts and bolts in, how about eagle H.D. jamie?
anyone interested in seeing our drag bike go to v-rod only
gallery.tell me what you think!

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Guess I'm gonna have to start draggin' the Rod again this year, huh? My launches are sooooo lame... best 60' was a 1.9 or something like that. Practice makes perfect!

As for your new site, so far so good! I wish I had the time/software to get mine to where it "should" be (I'm so embarrassed!)... you have undertaken a most commendable task!

Other good things to have would include a calendar of events from all the "major" sanctioning bodies (NHRA, Prostar, HDRA, AMRA, etc.)...

Scott... your website is GREAT! Excellent example of what "works" when presenting a racer program.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rick - your in - as I figure things out I will outline what we need, pictures, profile. etc. Thanks for the help - I will tell you how it works out.
Kevin

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kim - do you have a twenty eight tooth - with stock 30 tooth my best 60' was 188 but frequently 1.9x or 2.0x With 28 tooth constantly in 18x and occassionaly in 1.7x - Kevin

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is the problem - it kills the bike at launch - it isn't you.....I think that you need to start drag racing at least occasionally - you would be the first woman that I know of racing a VRod and woman always seem to do better at Drag Racing than men - it will drive all the guys crazy which isn't a bad thing either - we'll feature if you want.
Kevin

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
:jeannie: Twist my arm, Kevin... Okay fine... you win!

Our local drag strip, Great Lakes Dragaway has their Harley Shootout on select Wednesday nights through the summer. We have an '89 Sportster that is piloted by John's coworker, Carl. They do pretty well in the money class. It's braket racing, which I don't know if I'm wild about (heads-up is much more exciting) but still a lot of fun. As long as I can get out of the office by 5:00, I'll have enough time to go home, take care of the dog, grab the bike and head up to the track!

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now your talking - feature article coming up - IL woman make VROD history....we will need pictures, race reports and anticipate the first of many win reports. Now I am going to add you to the site and put the pressure on - you will of course have editorial right of approval and links back to your site - you might want to add a VRod pic or 2 to supplement road racinbg hardware. :)
Kevin

·
Jamie
60 Posts
Good Idea, let me know what you think I can do to help support you. Maybe info about what works, what doesn't, good combinations,....anything to get potential riders into enjoyng their bike more with a little racing, I think is great.

Rick Nielson said:
count cycle nuts and bolts in, how about eagle H.D. jamie?
anyone interested in seeing our drag bike go to v-rod only
gallery.tell me what you think!

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Kevin,
NOW this IS getting Good!!!!!!!!! :hyper: You have Mild to Wild ,Factory Racer and Female Racers!This is Gonna Be a Great Little asset to the V-rod Community and for a Racer it is a Chance of a Life time to be involed is such a great Project.We are Truly Pioneering the V-rod World! :thumb: I have Some Really INCREDIBLE Plans and Have some really Great People Behind me.It will be Great to show case Them Also! :kaz:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts