Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm finally in a position to start seriously looking for the next bike for the Mrs and I. I have pretty much decided on an AW, preferably with ABS, then putting Corbin bags on it(please no negative comments on bags on our bikes, I've read them before and my bike is as much about functionality and enjoyment of riding, especially with my 2.5 hour commute) I do alot of freeway riding, along with heavy traffic and then enjoy the back roads on the weekends with the mrs on the back. I figure the Vrod with bags on it would make a great sport tourer.

However I was reading on another forum, and many victory owners were raving about their bikes. So I decided to give them a look. I was able to see them at a dealer yesterday, and they felt comfortable. I was looking at their cross roads and cross country since they have the bags on them already. I will probably take a test ride before making my final purchase.

I would appreciate any inputs and feedback. I test rode a vrod last summer and loved the ride.

Thanks
MH

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If anyone thinks a Victory is a quality motorcycle compared to any late model Harley Davidson motorcycle,then by all means please buy the Victory.You will never enjoy a Harley if you think a Victory is a quality motorcycle.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
The Victory that I rode back in 07 was not a good bike. The front brake caliper bolt either broke or was missing. FOund that out on my test ride. Hear a clunk in the front end and when I got back the caliper was pivoted. It did not flow in corners. The power of the 102 freedom motor was not as much as my 88inch Shovelhead. The overal fit and finish was sub par quaility. Things looked like ther were added after the fact. The bike semed like it was designed with appearance then DOT then rider comfort. They have very few dealers for out of area service. At one point Not much backing in the aftermarket other than Arlin Ness. I am 6' 1: 275lbs and the bike was not as balanced or open as the Vrod. The only selling point the dealer could give me was under the little triangle cover with the motor size on it is a church key bottle opener. He was all over the betterness of the Victory over the air heads. When I said Vrod he had nothing. He all but said the Vrod was a better bike than the Hammer. .

·
Registered
527 Posts
Victory is like Harley is like Honda is like Yamaha. There will be purists everywhere that will rant and rave about their brand being the best, especially on the forums.
:soapbox:
I can agree that when I looked at victory (I am not a brand purist) a few years back the fit and finish was poor. They are asking top dollar for their bikes and I could see no reason for the high prices. I will give them points for design though, they do make some good looking bikes.

Test ride and buy what you like, our opinions are just that...OUR opinions. You will do well not to listen to anyone else on anything but quality issues. Everything else is subjective.:cheers:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nas3car thanks for the feedback. These are the kinds of things I am wanting to find out.

Elrod, what things are not quality about the victory's? Anything specific?

I'm expecting to be able to find a good used AW for 12k or so. Figure another 2k for the bags and other accessories, and I am still under the price of Victory.

Just trying to do my research.

Thanks
MH

·
Registered
296 Posts
Everyone will stick their chest out and pump their fists about their favorite motorcycle to ride,its the one who is making the purchase who has to weigh his options and buy what best fits his needs.

I am one who is a dedicated Dodge Ram Diesel Owner and a Dedicated Harley V-Rod owner and you could never convince me to have anything else.So when I would post in a thread like this I would give a biased answer.So with that I would have to say ride both motorcycles and make a decision thats best for you and stand by it.........Andy

·
Registered
148 Posts
I tested some victory bikes before I bought the vrod. I liked them, but they did not hold a candle to the rod in my opinion. I liked how the harley felt more solid. I was not a harley fan at all till I started riding them. I know they dont perform the best, but its like a high end car. It may not be the fastest, best ride comfort, or handle the best, but just the way it feels makes you a fan. Its the overall experiance that did it for me. You can get looks from girls on any bike, but it wasnt about that for me. It was the riding experiance. I really wanted a yamaha warrior, but it lacked the insperation like the victory. The harley gave me the feeling that I was part of the bike. It feels solid, balanced, comfortable, and just way more fun. I was really not a harley guy till now. I tried real hard not to fall victim to the harley bug, I didn't want to be like everyone else. I have found out that sometimes there is a reason why EVERYONE likes something. Its more than a name. Its like a BMW, they are not the best of anything in most cases, but people LOVE them because of how it feels to drive.

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
If you are looking for a bike for the Mrs and you to ride 2 up then the Vrod might not be the bike for you. Don't get me wrong the Rod is a awesome bike with power that pulls all the way to the top end. But a 2 up cruiser, not without some serious wrench time. I'd look to something like a Geezer Glide or Road King that drives like a Cadillac. I assume that by putting the Mrs on the back you are an experienced rider who can handle a 1000 pound gorilla. Check one out before you drop the cash. I also would not dismiss the Muscle for 2 up and bagger. Its pipes are designed to give more leg room out back and hang bags much better that the AW or DX.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Test ride and decide. It all comes down to how it feels and it makes you feel.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem with the muscle is how it pulls you forward. The Aw felt like a much more comfortable position as it was more upright.

Right now the Mrs gets on the back of my sportster. However the problem is that it pushes me forward about an inch or two and it makes it uncomfortable for the both of us. The Vrod lets us both have some room and me be in the saddle fully (yes we tried it though I didn't have the chance to test ride it with her yet) Except on the weekends, most of my riding will be solo, cept when we go on day or overnight trips etc.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
You should also get the wife's opinion as a passenger. Not sure about Victory, but to say the vrod is passenger-friendly is a stretch. You will probably invest in aftermarket pillions to find something that will make all-day riding fun for the wife on back.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I could not get my wife back on the VROD with a shotgunn!

She has a 2000 Heritage and knows Harley's and said she feels like a hood ornimant on the VROD.

I like my VROD for what it is and I have bags and a wind screen but would not consider it if I was looking for a two-up ride with the wife.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I looked at several different bikes. I wasn't brand loyal and looked at everything out there on the market including Victory. I looked at the jap bikes and they just didn't have the fit and finish I was looking for. The victory had a nice fit and finish but it had a high price IMO. Then I looked at HD I was thinking of getting a superglide or some kind of dyna class bike. The dealer had several different dynas but I just didn't find the one I liked. I kept looking and ran into the bike I purchased a new DX. I added a set of quick detach bags and did the stage 1 mods and added stage 2 cams. The base price was $14,584 and after tax, mods, 5 year warranty it was $20,564. I like these bags pretty good they are easy to get into and come off pretty easy. Plus they are a good size so they hold all my gear. I also added a backrest for 2-up riding. The seat on the DX felt more comfortable to me than the muscle. The passenger part of the seat was more comfortable too IMO. You really couldn't go wrong with either of the new models. You just have ride them to decide which one is right for you.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Two up on the DX is tough. I bought a low rise back rest, and sundowner passenger pillion. THe butt area is Ok but the pegs are awkward for my wife. The stock seat 50-75 miles max, the sundowner has about doubbled that. I have been thinking about another way to mount the rear pegs for some leg strech. Two issues, first her legs are not long second anwhere but wehre they are is going to be kinda hard.

Defintaly more room than a Sporty. Did a road trip with a couple on a Sporty and having to stop every 80 miles for gas and then hang for 1/2 hour made the trip take all day. I havent seen many Victory power cruiser bikes with a passenger or passenger equipment. I am not looking either but dose not stick out. I will say I am a Hardcore Harley and Chevy guy but the '81 Citation was almost as bad as the Rocker.

I agree wityh all others who say your butt is going in the seat. You need to go ask questions and test ride both. With this test the dealership too. See what they are willing to do to make the sale. I bought a car from a dealer becasue the saleswoman asked if I wanted to try getting my son in and out of the car seat in the back of the car we were looking at. No other person offered or asked that. In the end you have to like waht you are buying.

I did that and bought the DX. This was August of '06 so in the last 5 years things may have changed. Though according to some here nothing in HD has changed since '48. To a point I am glad.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
The problem with the muscle is how it pulls you forward. The Aw felt like a much more comfortable position as it was more upright.
I went to the dealer to pick up an '09 Muscle and left with an '09 AW for the very same reason. I love the look of the F, but the AW fit me better for the way I like to ride. I've looked at the Victory bikes, but neber rode one. They seemed to be a little cheaper built (e.g.) lacking quality.

For full discloser I have a geezer Street Glide too...lol.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If your wife has long legs she will not be happy on long rides. There is a passenger peg option that puts the pegs on the pivot bolt for the swingarm that would help tons, but is pretty steeply priced. My girl keeps harassing me to make something for the pegs and I have a design but not a lot of time to get the prototype done. I have no backrest and a different rear pillion and all she complains about is the foot position.

-Keith

904 Posts
I agree that the AW off the showroom floor is not passenger friendly. But with a backrest, the Sundowner seat & passenger pillion, and relocated passenger pegs it can certainly be. The footpeg relocation is essential for passenger comfort, and I think the passenger "forearms" made/marketed by one of our forum members (?) are one of the best options available.

Can't say I have any 1st hand experience with the Victory, but I was struck by the salesman's pitch at a bike show last fall... Practically everything he pointed out was how they have been fixing all the problems and issues they had with the prior-year models! He would have scared the hell out of me had I been considering buying a used one! To have a factory rep acknowledging how bad they were, but then adding that "it's all fixed now", is hardly reassuring in my mind?

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
If yer gonna go "off the farm", might as well try one of these:

Honda Fury

I've ridden one, gotta tell yathier pretty cool.

But they are NOT a V Rod. Having owned every type of horse in the HD stable, my DX is the hands down all time favorite. If I could have a second bike, it would be a Road Glide (and I prolly COULDA HAD ONE TOO, if the mod-fever I caught with my DX wasn't so expensive)...

Rick

·
George
5,411 Posts
Buddy of mine has a Victory.. Looks like a space ship. He was stopped at a light and got rear-ended (By his wife no less).... no frame damage, nothing bent.... BUT it fell over. It got totaled because all the plastic was so expensive to repair!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fyi

i saw your post. i just picked up a vrod last summer , tell ya what, i cant get enough. the mrs is just fine[via;backrest]. these bikes are a great deal, $ for$ the victory doesnt come close in my opinion . bla bla bla. get what makes you happy n comfortable. check out the classifieds here 05 b model MR .FBDY. LOOKS NICE,fair price.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts