Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some research on the Breakout. Love my V(s) that won't change. But I'm also interested in branching out. Anyone know why the Breakout is so much more expensive than a V? I'm looking around at Cycle trader and they had an overlap of a few yrs in manufacturing. I mean Is the Milwaukee 8 that much better than the Rev 1250?

I know they've had the M8: 100, 108, 114 versions.

But Ex) today even with this crazy economy of shortages of materials, and used bikes holding better value because of increased demand. You can get a nice top end V for let's say $15K USD and I mean in some cases clean as hell and decked the F out with some extras, or super low miles for that price.

Whereas breakouts are 20K+ for the 2017 - 2020 M8 -114 base models; no extras, no frills. and most still have like 5K miles on it to start.

I'm just trying to figure out where the hell your money goes to that makes the FXBR more expensive. Anyone.. any ideas?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Definitely a supply and demand thing. The M8 motor is not a better motor than the Revoloution, just different. However, with discontinued bikes, value will drop over time as interest dies out. It's what happened to the old Buell bikes after Harley shut them down. You can get a clean 1125R or 1125CR Buell for around $4,000. (I've seen good examples for around $3,000!)

·
Registered
VRSCAW 2010
46 Posts
I like Breakout too, muscle looks and the engine puts out a hefty amount of torque. Hp numbers not so impressive, but for HD - OK I guess. We have a few for sale here in Finland, most expensive seems to be CVO from 2017. The dealer is askin roughly 40 000 USD for that special model...:oops:
I like my VRod but some day when it`s time to go for a new bike, Breakout is definitely one machine to check out.

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
93 Posts
I think we're comparing two different things.... different years, different engines, different part supply and support (from HD themself), different costs.

There are YT videos comparing them, and they are both straight line muscle cruisers... but it seems unfair to compare a production bike to a retired one. I agree the Breakout price will sink once they are retired (they basically already are except some for HD Euro sales).

I test rode both and liked the VRSC a lot better... much more bike for your money, and many many more VRSC than Breakouts were sold overall (so more and cheaper parts).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think we're comparing two different things.... different years, different engines, different part supply and support (from HD themself), different costs.

There are YT videos comparing them, and they are both straight line muscle cruisers... but it seems unfair to compare a production bike to a retired one. I agree the Breakout price will sink once they are retired (they basically already are except some for HD Euro sales).

I test rode both and liked the VRSC a lot better... much more bike for your money, and many many more VRSC than Breakouts were sold overall (so more and cheaper parts).
Thanks for your input.

"It seems unfair to compare a production bike to a retired one" <- the Breakout was just retired; 2020 was the last year.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All right folks I'm here to complete the circle on my own question. Today I test rode a 2014 CVO Breakout.. and let me say I'm in love. Now one would argue there is no way you can compare our V(s) to a CVO version of anything. In general I'd agree. But I was asking myself the question why is it more expensive, where does your money go to, is the M8 a better engine, etc. Here is what I can say. This CVO is a 2014 Breakout. Its not yet the Milwaukee 8. Its a Twin Cam 110 engine (vs. 103 non-CVO from that year). It's dragster inspired rake similar to our V(s) with a 240' rear tire and a 21' front tire & turbine rims (which I looooove). It has a shit-ton of chrome with the Screemin' Eagle Stage 1 upgrades already done, a special factory HD paint job, and Vance and Hines radius curved exhaust pre-installed (or at least this one was added ~ maybe it was an option at the time). The bike cost $21K USD with 15K miles on it.

Now you wanna know where your money goes to??? Well - Nothing says "all eyes on me, and get the fuck out of my way"... like this bike. Ego 1,000,000,000%

It was an experience for sure. The friction zone starts at around 60 ~ 65 percent of your hand release, unlike our V(s) that start at 90 ~ 95 percent, and man does it have that traditional Harley rumble. Similar to our V(s) when you are going through the power-band it has a ton of torque that pulls you like a dog sled, although our V(s) RPM redline at 9K and thats where our V(s) want to be, this redlines a 4 ~ 5K and you feel it wants to shift sooner. The rumble is godly feeling and when you are riding it, you feel equally godly controlling something that wants to get away from you. While our V(s) pull us smoothly and controllably through the power band. You can still get that yank your arm out of its socket feeling from either of the VROD or a Breakout. The Breakout just feels like it’s going to beastly and violently tear your arm off, whereas the VROD feels like it would make a precision laser cut.

Someone said to me VROD.. thats a sports bike and I was always Iike.. "in my mind, I thought of it as a power cruiser" and a V is.. but a Breakout is just a different kind of power cruiser. The statement I made above about ripping your arm off: beastly. vs laser precision makes me feel like I understand the statement more about the VROD being a sports bike.

Do I see where the money goes to??? On this particular bike, yeeeahhh... I guess so. I still wanna ride a M8 114 non-CVO and see if the "juice is worth the squeeze" and I'll report back. It’s just a big investment for “the juice” on any one bike in my opinion. I only paid $10K for my F and $13K for my DX each with less than 1K miles on them when I got them, and I have to ask myself, will I have a better day of riding for that extra $10K? Will I be in a better mood? Will the experience/feeling not wear off over time? I mean you can get used to anything. So...

But for now; BIG thumbs-up on this bike, for the experience factor.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Land vehicle Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really like when people report back to close the loop. Great write up and I agree with everything you said. They are completely different bikes which give you completely different experiences. Its always about the fastest 0-60. Sometimes it’s about the feeling a particular bike invokes and Breakout CVO invokes a special feeling. I especially liked the Red and Chrome ones and Pro Street Breakout from 2017. It had dual discs up front and inverted forks. Cheers.

·
Registered
VRSCAW 2010
46 Posts
Awesome ride! Really like the paint and seat on that bike,the curved exhaust not so much. But to each his own and that exhaust type is popular even here.
Great to read about a test ride and a comparison between two different animals.
Thumb up and enjoy!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice looking ride!

Thanks for the post purchase review.

The YouTuber 'Blockhead' ran a Lowrider 'S' with the 110 Twincam against his, then new, M8 Lowrider 'S' (before he went full retard with the M8 131 Stage IV kit). The 110 pulled on the M8 everytime they 'ran' them. (y)

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
93 Posts
Yeah, that's all that ultimately matters: that you like your bike. You are the one riding it, putting money into it, looking at it 100x more than anyone else, etc.

Good luck with whichever bike you end up going with. (y)

·
Registered
168 Posts
The "vrod is a sportbike" always get thrown around (from "non-sportbike" folks) because of the high revving liquid cooled motor. The rest of us know that a real sportbike is more about full tuck riding position and superbike chassis engineering...but I get it. As far as whether or not a CVO Breakout is worth $20,000--not for me. But I'm a non Harley guy riding a non Harley VRod---someone that came up into motorcycling riding sportbikes for 15 years before my first "Harley." The very idea of spending over $20K for a used bike makes me nauseous, even if it is for the "feeling." That kind of cash could get you a new Goldwing with all the latest tech, or a decent BMW adventure bike. But I only spent $5k for my 2006 VRSCD three years ago...so what do I know???

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'll chime in with my 2 pennies.

I hate the handlebar on that bike, reminds me of a child's tricycle. Also don't love the thrown on turn signals (one of the reasons I have an F is I don't like non integrated parts....).

The pipes on the bike are looks only as they are not 2-1.

Heck, I don't even like the seat as it's 2 piece...would immediately get a custom saddle that is one piece and no doubt more comfortable.

Just so much I would have to change that the initial price would be punishing to me.

I think a Vrod is a much better deal (and yes I would/did still customize the life out of it, but the lower initial purchase price makes them much easier on the wallet).

Also, as far as noise makers/presence (if you will): If you haven't listen to a Revo with 2-1 drag pipes. You'll be noticed (sometimes more than you want).

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Everyone should have as many M/C's as they want - good, bad, indifferent. Street & Dirt. Drag. Now if you have to have only one, and you really like to go fast on a smooth liquid cooled bike and still have a fairly nice seat for the Mrs. you can't beat a V Rod. Like turns ? Get an R Model. Value Form over Function ? Get a Breakout or any other H-D. They look great, but have lots of drawbacks. Like racing H-D Baggers - cracks me up they had to CNC machine a left side cover and fly it in to the track because it scraped so bad on left turns and limited lean angle. DUH ! The R Model V Rod nothing ever scrapes with proper suspension setup until the mid foot pegs - personally I've never scraped anything on mine, took the peg scrape feelers off, so stupid. Build the engine, stroker 1350, slap some nylon bags on there, lighter wheels & go race it in the bagger class :D it would be very interesting ! No engine cases will scrape. It will handle. It probably won't break ! But I digress - if you got the money buy the Breakout and park it next to your V Rod. Don't try to justify it - just do it - if it floats your boat make it happen. A bike for every mood and every situation. Too many bikes ? Not happy with latest purchase ? Sell one. Buy another. There is no one M/C that does everything you expect well. That's why you need more than one. M/C's are cheap. Try to do that with cars, or airplanes - you'll need wheelbarrows full of $ 100 bills. Believe me. Ride On !! (y):cool:

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Oh and when you go blast past a Tesla on his left with his window open (after he cut you off ) two up and stuff your 2-1 pipe into his ears as you pass you'll appreciate the Revo sound output. I did that yesterday and scared the living shit out of that guy - he totally didn't expect that to happen so he turned off at the next cross street to avoid any further embarrassment. Yes, it's still a relevant M/C. Ride it like you stole it when you have to. It will reward you. (y):cool:

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
93 Posts
I think we should go easy on the OP... yeah, it was pretty clear he'd get moderate/high flaming since he is basically posting Breakouts are better than VRSC and bla bla. That's his conclusion. That's fine. It's his bike if he buys it... not mine, not anyone else's. These are toys, and each person has to buy and build what they personally like. I concur VRSC are nothing like a sport bike (they are muscle/sport cruisers, as are Breakout); what makes a sport bike a sport bike is the lean ability and the agility and the high end speeds... which no production Harley I've ever seen has had (sure VRSCR and 180mm VRods have the agility part, but at a very minimal level for any true sport bike). The VRods are not sport bikes in any stretch.

I would potentially consider a Breakout someday if I found a deal and I wouldn't bash them, but like I said, I don't see the value in them right now. I would probably get a 2017 DX or a used Road King or Goldwing... plus two good vacations or something for that same money. That's just me, though. What I prefer is irrelevant to someone else.

Oh and when you go blast past a Tesla on his left with his window open (after he cut you off ) two up and stuff your 2-1 pipe into his ears as you pass you'll appreciate the Revo sound output. I did that yesterday and scared the living shit out of that guy - he totally didn't expect that to happen so he turned off at the next cross street to avoid any further embarrassment. Yes, it's still a relevant M/C. Ride it like you stole it when you have to. It will reward you. (y):cool:
Lmao! You gotta downshift way too low in those Tesla, Prius, etc situations too :)

...very idea of spending over $20K for a used bike ...
Yeah, I've never spent over $10k on a bike in my life. Probably never will... many good and highly adequate bikes for even $5k mark or less if you find a motivated seller or know how to work on them.

I do the same with cars: narrow it down to a handful of models and try to find value on something I like (sometimes end up with something that was not what I was targeting but had the right price). I'm always simply looking for a deal with some miles left to give, yet somebody else already took the bulk of the early depreciation. It makes no sense to overspend on depreciating assets in my eyes... and even less to ever finance them. With bikes especially, I just look for value and save the money for the many mods and customs you are always going to want to do to it after buying anyways. Even if I bought a 2022, I'm always helpless to making a few mods :p

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
With bikes especially, I just look for value and save the money for the many mods and customs you are always going to want to do to it after buying anyways. Even if I bought a 2022, I'm always helpless to making a few mods
Exactly why I bought my used R Model - paid about 7 grand 7 years ago, great deal for an almost new bike with a new battery, tires, fresh valve adjustment, knowing I would make it mine with an engine guard, highway pegs, stage 1, 30t front sprocket, saddlebags and better ergo handlebars, quick turn throttle, LED lighting all the way around etc. Fun finding obsolete parts, a true adventure. Still got the 13K+ I didn't spend on a new H-D invested making money which helps pay for the mods. A no guilt purchase. But if H-D builds a true R model replacement with the Revo Max engine ? I just might buy it. At 62 I got maybe 10 years of riding left, it would be nice to spend it on my dream H-D M/C but sell the R Model ? NO WAY. It stays, a true keeper to the end. Bought & paid for. Got every needed engine tool ready to build a nice Stage 2 N/A engine myself. Big Fun. (y):cool:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I sold H-D for a few months here in the states. Got to ride quit a few bikes including a cvo and non cvo breakout. My personal opinion, I hated them both. The steering felt extremely heavy and slow, especially compared to my v. I would take a low rider s over a breakout any day. The road glide even handles way better than a breakout. Again just my opinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 110 twin cam is awesome!! It did have heat issues as does any “hopped up” motor, which the 110 is a hopped up 96. The m8 produces awesome power. It is a different power. Very smooth and more controlled feeling. As for lean angle the far bob has the best lean angle, big led headlight, and an m8. Very nice bike. Breakout, fat bob, low rider, all soft tails so very comfortable. Just chiming in

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 110 twin cam is awesome!! It did have heat issues as does any “hopped up” motor, which the 110 is a hopped up 96. The m8 produces awesome power. It is a different power. Very smooth and more controlled feeling. As for lean angle the far bob has the best lean angle, big led headlight, and an m8. Very nice bike. Breakout, fat bob, low rider, all soft tails so very comfortable. Just chiming in
All Harleys are great until you ride a V-Rod or any other large capacity bike produced in the last 20 years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts