Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First HD (high dollar) I've ever owned ridden or driven. Never wanted one talked shit about HD last 37yrs. Now.... I FREAKING LOVE THIS THING! Is there anything weird wrong bad things done models or numbers quirks you know anything a noob HD VROD VRSCA owner should be aware of? Other than it and VMAX are only 2 true in on class call it sport cruiser or muscle cruiser don't matter they succeed the handling on it is way better than VMAX and any other cruiser I've ridden driven or owned had 3 of them. Just saying if gonna jump on the bandwagon do it with both feet.! I'm there Honda no longer has claim to my soul. Lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the 03. There is a “Klunk” sound from the triple trees area when you hit a bump. I’m sure you can search for it here. I rode mine yesterday and heard it. I don’t know if anyone ever figured out what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I got the 03. There is a “Klunk” sound from the triple trees area when you hit a bump. I’m sure you can search for it here. I rode mine yesterday and heard it. I don’t know if anyone ever figured out what it was.

As long as your headstock bearings are good and greased and the fallaway is set correctly, then the clunk is usually down to the movement of the stem in the top tree. Early stems were aluminium and the torque for the nut is fairly low. The later stems are steel with a different nut which is torqued higher. You can either change the stem for a later one or if you search on here where some members have packed out the gap between the stem and tree with shim steel to stop the movement of the stem in the tree because of its poorly toleranced fit.

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Welcome to 1130 cc! 👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really don’t want to make changes to my bike. I’m guessing it’s not a safety issue because I never seen a recall notice on it.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I really don’t want to make changes to my bike. I’m guessing it’s not a safety issue because I never seen a recall notice on it.

No, wasn't a recall. Just a production improvement implemented as a running change. It's a relatively easy swap or you could just go the steel shim route which is even simpler.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have owned 3 Harleys including my V-Rod. All have clunked no matter how much I have adjusted the steering stem...
Mine is also a 2002, which I bought new. Still love it.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I have owned 3 Harleys including my V-Rod. All have clunked no matter how much I have adjusted the steering stem...
Mine is also a 2002, which I bought new. Still love it.
That's because the adjustment is not the problem. The problem is caused by the poorly toleranced fit between the stem and the tree and the nut and with the stem being made of aluminium you cannot get sufficient tightening torque to stop it. Hence the change to the steel stem and higher torque, or for those who don't want to change the stem shimming the poor tolerance out.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Head bearing or adjust fall away. Or front calipers rattle. Been there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
First HD (high dollar) I've ever owned ridden or driven. Never wanted one talked shit about HD last 37yrs. Now.... I FREAKING LOVE THIS THING! Is there anything weird wrong bad things done models or numbers quirks you know anything a noob HD VROD VRSCA owner should be aware of? Other than it and VMAX are only 2 true in on class call it sport cruiser or muscle cruiser don't matter they succeed the handling on it is way better than VMAX and any other cruiser I've ridden driven or owned had 3 of them. Just saying if gonna jump on the bandwagon do it with both feet.! I'm there Honda no longer has claim to my soul. Lol
That's interesting. Me too on first HD. I always said that if I was going to buy any v-twin, it would be either a VROD or a Ducati Diavel. I bought a 2005 VRSCB with 12k miles on it in perfect condition. Very happy with mine after taking off those heavy lunker mufflers and replacing with Tab Performance slipons, then having it dialed in on a dyno. Runs strong and sounds great. I hope you enjoy yours. My previous ride was a 2007 Hayabusa. Just wanted to change my ride style and sit up straight. The power exchange was something that was super fast for something that is pretty fast, and more comfortable, cheaper to maintain too. Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts

First check the neck bearings and the wheel bearings and then check if any thing is loose head lamp, risers etc..Mike At [email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi you were saying that you heard a popping noise in your triple tree most likely it’s your bearing you mite checking g the nut torque it to see if that fixes it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts