·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
460 Posts
So.......

...... what's the point of the link? Someone made a weak argument against the Vrod - claiming bad handling, stock bike no good in real racing conditions, blah blah....

The one argument they make is probably true - the Vrod didn't "save Harley". In my opinion, the Vrod was a bold move by HD and created a true crossover bike which has been (attempted to be) copied by other brands - Yamaha Warrior / M109R. If HD could ever match or even cone close to their price points, they would fly out the doors.

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jacothedog said:
...... what's the point of the link? Someone made a weak argument against the Vrod - claiming bad handling, stock bike no good in real racing conditions, blah blah....

The one argument they make is probably true - the Vrod didn't "save Harley". In my opinion, the Vrod was a bold move by HD and created a true crossover bike which has been (attempted to be) copied by other brands - Yamaha Warrior / M109R. If HD could ever match or even cone close to their price points, they would fly out the doors.

point? yahoo financials are big in the investment world....read it.... :deal: you will read alot of garbage as far as message board info goes but you track the stock as it is....... :D

52wk Range: 46.80 - 75.87 today 46.99 almost at a 52 week low. This is the point of the link. :chair: cheap buys on the horizon......

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Its a matter of time. Harley will self destruct with their ridiculous pricing, pathetic service and they continue to roll out bikes using old technology (air cooled).

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
jacothedog said:

The V-rod is a crossover bike and it is succeeding to a degree. I'm sure that Harley-Davidson would like the platform to post much more significant sales numbers than it has but what keeps them from flying out the door is not necessarily price, there is still nearly a hundred years of tradition to overcome. Those of us who ride V-rods know what an incredible machine it is. It's getting the airheads to try them and realize that we V-rodders are the lucky ones is the real trick.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree with you, Tag, but here's a god question: How many Warrior and M109R owners would have Vrods if the price was much closer?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
IMHO the stock has not hit bottom yet. It might be at a low for the year but they are still looking at how many production units they will have to cut to keep from building stockpiles. I think some tough times may be in the future still for that stock, but what do I know?

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
DallasV Rod said:
Its a matter of time. Harley will self destruct with their ridiculous pricing, pathetic service and they continue to roll out bikes using old technology (air cooled).
I wholeheartedly agree with two of the three reasons they will self destruct. One thing many riders here forget is that the air cooled motor is just as prefered as our Revo's are to us. Just cuz it's old don't mean it ain't wanted...heck, I'd like to have one as a 2nd bike....

....and will if they don't put out a Revo bagger in the next few years! :soapbox:

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
sudolg said:
Well, is the issue that people are just simply buying less these days? Are there less customers?
To answer that we'd have to know how all the other major brands are doing. I know car/truck sales are slowing in most segments. Heck, $3+ per gallon gas is gonna catch up to the economy sometime....it's got to!

·
RICK
648 Posts
Its a matter of time. Harley will self destruct with their ridiculous pricing, pathetic service and they continue to roll out bikes using old technology (air cooled
).

I would disagree. You would have to look at the number of sales, but people love the air cooled motor. You have to remember this is THE v rod forum. People here truely appreciate the revo motor, but it isn't what HD bases there production and sale margins on. Like mentioned. it is a crossover so to speak. The air cooled motor is one of the most advanced air cooled motor in the world. Better than liquid cooled? NO, but it is what MOST Harley riders want. There will come a time when HD has to adapt with EPA and restrictions due to being air cooled. They will overcome any obstacles as well as the HD riders themselves. Will the true baggers of the motorcompanies future be liquid cooled? Very possibly! HD has more than motorcycles. It is a lifestyle to many as well. How much do people spend on clothing, boots, jackets, chrome, ect..... Myself, I love my TC air cooled bike, as well as my vrod! I would have one of every bike Harley makes if I could afford it. I would opt not to ride if I couldn't ride a Harley. Stupidity, stuborness on my part maybe, but it is a lifestyle I chose and love years ago. There are thousands more like me. The difference is that I love and accept the revo motors, to where many AIRHEADS don't. But if it, or when it, comes to that point of transition, people will accept it and love it. HD will continue to sell motorcycles. The economy sucks around here as well as many areas across this country. I know I'm spending less money this year than last. Sales will increase and HD will prevail. A drop in stock proces doesn't mean the companies in trouble. It just tells you the predictions are lower than anticipated.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Put in a buy order @ $40 and plan on holding it for at least 5 years. You'll probably double your money. Harley will falter but if history is any indication they will recover.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Weelll

jacothedog said:
I agree with you, Tag, but here's a god question: How many Warrior and M109R owners would have Vrods if the price was much closer?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Weelll

jacothedog said:

iF they settled for a Warrior or M109 than they just don't get it., do they? After my first ride on a V-Rod I got and got it good! I would have gotten a second mortgage or stopped drinking beer to make that payment. Yeah something real rash to get my ass on a Rod. Why? because I "GOT IT".
People who ride V-Rod's get it and get it crystal clear. People who ride any other bike don't and thats fine. To each his own.
Following my first ride I had tears in my friggin eyes as I was writing the deposit check! Could hardly see what I was writing because I "got it". You ride a Rod and it either comes to you or it don't!
Warrior M109 VTX whatever, they don't get it so I don't believe that we'd want them on a Rod anyway?would we?..........Rod-On Dar

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
mjw930 said:
Put in a buy order @ $40 and plan on holding it for at least 5 years. You'll probably double your money. Harley will falter but if history is any indication they will recover.
:them:
HD will prevail: all stocks go thru cycles. As someone said on another thread: I think our VRods will ultimately be HD's path into the future. I bet you will see water cooled revos on most of harley's lineup within 10 years.
But there is still a very strong market for the air cooled bikes which harley owns.
Stock market word of caution: if you play the game, make sure you can take the psychological rollercoaster it will bring you. Low/medium/high risk options are out there. What is your tolerance level?
I have a group of stocks that is termed "dynamic"........in other words, high risk, high gain. The average for the previous 3 years prior to August of this year was +31%. The one year average after August of this year was "only" +16%.
So is the glass half-full or half empty? It all depends on your tolerance level for uncertainty and risk.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Max said:
I think some tough times may be in the future still for that stock, but what do I know?
Sad to say, but I think you and MJW are on the right track. I suspect things may get a little worse before they get better for Harley.

Last Friday was a very bad day at Harley headquarters. I heard that there will be no bonus payments for Harley salaried employees next year - bonuses used to be up to 40% of annual salary during the "boom" years.

One thing that seems to have gotten lost are the numbers for Harley's international sales. Since 2002 Intl. has risen from 25% to 40% of all Harley shipments. Thats a pretty impressive number. It helps that the US dollar has dropped a lot compared to the Euro, British Pound, and most other currencies - but IMHO Harley hasn't really taken advantage of this.

Also - the indications are that the V-Rod has become one of the few bright spots in the lineup.

Personally (and this is based on nothing more than a careful reading of the local and national business press) I think Harley's current management has about a year to get things on the right track. If they don't make the right moves to get the top line growing within that time frame, then either the board hires new management, or some private equity firm will come along to do the job for them. A buyout of Harley @ $45/share makes a lot more sense than it did at $65.

Lastly - I've been bearish on Harley stock for a year or more, so the cut in sales projections comes as no surprise to me. What I don't understand is why management said everything was rosy eight weeks ago when they released second quarter earnings. Did they really only find out bikes were piling up at dealers in the last few weeks?

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mjw930 said:

The mark of a true investor. The market will recover in due time. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
I dont think anyone who bought a Warrior or a 109 settled for anything.Both bikes are good bikes.And as far as not riding at all if one did not have a HD.WEll that is just stupid. You just admitted you ride for the Brand not for the enjoyment of the wide open road.

·
RICK
648 Posts
I dont think anyone who bought a Warrior or a 109 settled for anything.Both bikes are good bikes.And as far as not riding at all if one did not have a HD.WEll that is just stupid. You just admitted you ride for the Brand not for the enjoyment of the wide open road
Like I said, my lifestyle. Most are not like me. As for open road, I ride more miles than most, probably including yourself! I owned my first Harley(1977 XLCR) when I was 16. Stupid-maybe to you-but that is where you and I are not the same! I am a true biker so to speak. I also am the person that goes out of my way to buy American product, from American companies. I love this country(as bad as it seems to be getting) and do my best as an American citizen to support it. I don't, and won't, buy foriegn cars or motorcycles! I would ride my bicycle before you see me on a Honda.
Before you all jump to defend your foriegn products, I know it is impossible to buy all American. But I do my best to try! I know that Honda, Suzuki, ect, make and sell great products, but I will not buy them. People say "its just a bike", but 20 years ago, they were saying "its just a car". Look at the auto industry now! Being an American citizen, I support this country and its products a lot more than most people do. I wish more people were like me, but people don't seem to care any more. As for the open road, I ride everyday! One of my many Harleys! It is a lifestyle for me, not transpotation or a hobby!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts