Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am working on a custom tail light but all I have is the OEM tail light and the bare metal rear fender. I see on eBay that there is an "inner fender", but this looks like it goes towards the front of the metal fender, closer to the seat.

I see how the OEM tail light clicks into the fender with the rubber grommet that surrounds the OEM tail light... this hard rubber part has tabs and the front locks in, then the rear clicks in. Is this all that holds the tail light in? There is a small hole at the top, either a screw hole or for drainage... is there supposed to be something else holding the light in?

How do the wires get from the tail light to the main harness? There are no clips on this fender like I've seen on others.

And the OEM tail light seems to protrude about 1" below the fender into the area where the tire is... so there must be >1" of space between the fender and tire then, right?

I am sorry if these are very basic questions, just trying to work with what I got, and being in Massachusetts, there ain't many people riding these days where I can try to hook up with a local and take a look at his bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You buy the bike used? Yes there is an inner fender, which is steel and pretty sustantial
Hi,

I actually don't own a VROD, I am just trying to make a custom light for one.

I found a thread here where someone linked to Bike Bandit and I was looking through the parts diagrams for the VROD. I see the substantial inner fender you are talking about. It looks like it just has a big hole where the tail light mounts?

I did a CAD model of the fender I have, and I am going to CNC machine my own light housing. I will need to make it so it can be mounted to the fender from, so I'm sort of just trying to do what I can with the parts i have :)

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Good place to start is this forum. Vast amount of knowledge on this site. If your open to machining parts this place will get you some business also...just about everyone on here makes or wants something machined. Best of luck with your part.
Post up some pictures of the part when your done if you don't mind. We all like shiny new things... Thanks Mike

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
The inner fender has nothing to do with the light at all and the small hole means nothing. The Vrod shares the taillight with the Softail Deuce.

The light has 2 plastic tabs (4) toward the front that hook under the thin sheet metal fender and a spring clip (3) on the back that snaps into place. The license plate light has a hold in it, where a Phillips screwdriver can be inserted to depress this clip (3) to get the light out.

The hole in the fender is nothing that I am aware of...

The inner fender is thick (1/4"?) aluminum and bolts to the frame. At the rear of this a plastic license plate frame bolts on. It has a small groove where the thin fender fits and it covers the inner like a shell with a gap. The 2 fenders do not share the same radius curve so they meet in the front and the rear, but have a nice cavity between them where the wiring and light sits. Kind of a dent or flat spot in the inner fender. The wiring harness splits into 3 for the taillight and blinkers and the connections are all in this space.

I wanna prototype. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys! That explains it perfectly and makes my life a lot easier.

Here is a CAD rendering (crappy quality, sorry) of what I am thinking of. CNC machined aluminum housing with a top plate that bolts on. I was thinking it would look cool anodized in black with silver socket head cap screws, but it can be all black (with black screws) or all silver (or chrome or something).

The actual light board will be LED, programmable with integrated signals.

I've been making motorcycle lighting for the last 10 years, so I don't want to misrepresent myself as a hobbyist in his garage or anything. A guy I know has a VROD and asked if I could do anything cool for the tail light, so this is just what I was thinking.

If anyone has any comments, I would love to hear them.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Your are really posting at good time due the disappearance of the previous person that made LED tail lamps. If yours are as bright and reliable as his were then you will have plenty of sales from here. There is a bit of pent up demand for a high quality tail light for our bikes.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I am very interested in this housing.If you supply me with a proto,I'll pay,I will make my own LED array.
This housing would match my X model in raw aluminum and black fasteners.

The main body should be made to be attached to the fender with a cross bar and a screw to take the slack up,or a spring loaded locking connector would be great.
The factory spring clip is an ill design and the tail lights are prone to fall out over bumps.I have lost many cool factory light housings due to them falling out.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am very interested in this housing.If you supply me with a proto,I'll pay,I will make my own LED array.
This housing would match my X model in raw aluminum and black fasteners.

The main body should be made to be attached to the fender with a cross bar and a screw to take the slack up,or a spring loaded locking connector would be great.
The factory spring clip is an ill design and the tail lights are prone to fall out over bumps.I have lost many cool factory light housings due to them falling out.
Thanks for the info guys!

Eldrodon, I am curious why you would want to make your own LED board - is it because you have something custom in mind, or you have an existing board you want to use, or something else?

The thing is, I am going to CNC machine the housing to exactly fit the LED board I am making, so I am not sure if another board will fit, unless it was made to. And if you are thinking of making your own, I am just curious why you were thinking of that.

I will try to machine a prototype this weekend - the machines at work are busy cranking out production stuff, but I should get a moment this weekend.

Is anyone here going to the Indianapolis Dealer Expo in a few weeks?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I make custom arrays for mine.Look at the X I made for the one posted.I have a few different ones I run from time to time.The one in the 03 is still the Bar&Shield.
As long as the board is removable I can custom fit my own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts