Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I would post same pics as they put the VRod back togehter as we do the winter setup for next season. If you saw my first post in new members section you will recall it was tore down to the frame. Most of the parts are in and the re-assembly is beginning. Here is pic 1 of the left side of the bike - had swing arm chromed and new BTMfg air shocks installed - 1"lower - progressive springs also lowered will be put on front with chrome sliders. The green paper I believe is there to protect the chrome.

Attachments

·
4,638 Posts
Nice to see that they took the time to protect your chrome... My kind of people .....

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right Side of Bike - Airshock

Here is a picture of the right side of the bike - focused on the air shock - for anyone interested in more details on these things - their web address is www.btmfg.com. Once I report back on performance once I get to try the set-up in the spring.

Attachments

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rick - these guys are the best in the Pittsburgh area IMHO at least - Of course they are also my sponsor so I really depend on them to build and maintain the machine as needed throughout the season.
Kevin

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diamond Cut Heads

Here is a picture of the diamond cut heads - you can also see the cams in the background if that is of any interest. I will post a close up of the heads in the next frame

Attachments

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Home pit area

Here is a shot of the home pit area that my kids put together for christmas present - with a KBOlsen model pit bike to dress it up a bit for the picture... it looks alot better than the current state of the VRod.

Attachments

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starting Point

BBruce,
Thanks - here is a picture of what we started with - from IHRA Division 3 Bracket Finals in Norwalk last year. Picture includes wife and two sons - they will begin racing this year also - on a 03' Sportster.
Kevin

Attachments

·
2,552 Posts
Re: Diamond Cut Heads

kspz3 said:
Here is a picture of the diamond cut heads - you can also see the cams in the background if that is of any interest. I will post a close up of the heads in the next frame
kspz3

What did it cost you to have the heads diamond cut. They look awesome:thumb

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Frank,
I haven't got the bill yet - but I think that it usually runs around $400. I think that the bike will be together pretty much by the end of this week - except possibly for the pingel electric shifter - which we wil order on Monday - then need to custom fab mounting hardware - I am wrestling with wethher or not to change exhaust - TT only one left standing in my mind at the moment - I wish there was a chrome version - - performance and weight reductions the primary benefit - looks aren't perfect to my taste, very loud, no heat sheild - primary down side - I am going to have to get a run down from KAZ to make my final decision. I will dyno the thing with the SEVMod set up to make sure that everyting is operating as before the tear down - have a show at end of month and then may change out the exhaust. I am going to try to go south around bike week - but not sure wether I will race or just ride - last year's rainout of the AHDRA event left me sitting in the pits for two days without anything to do but watch the rain - I do not think that I am cut out for the NAtional circuits.
Kevin

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would also love to figure out something that I could have done by OZZY - some of his work really looks outstanding - but I have not been able to come up with an idea that works - any suggestions would be appreciated - thinking about possibly an airbox with sponsors name "Spirit Racing" - or ..... any ideas would be appreciated.

·
2,552 Posts
kspz3,

I see your build consist of a pulley. Are you ever going back to a chain. Regarding a chain drive, is there a brand of chain that you would recommend. BEST quality and also would like it to look awesome,(maybe chrome).

Thanks
Frank

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frank,
I will start out this season with the belt drive - may or may not go back to chain - if I decide that I want to gear for 5 gear pass - 5th would be at about 120 with current HP - depends on how well the shifter works - I think that the chain I used was an EGK or somethinge like that 530 - and it was supposed to be chrome - check the left side pic from last year - that chrome (more like nickel finish) disappeared from oil. Now my mechanics have a chain oiling fetish - and that would also get the wheels soiled from the spray - but the chain worked effeciently. I think the one that I used was like 10,5000 - it was like an older prostock chain - the guy that built the conversion was an old drag racer and again went for stregnth and efficiency - I would use an ORing setup if I did it again - less maintenance and less spray (and consumes a couple nof horsepower - but as you can see when I have a decision between performance and style I tend to go for style - at least on current setup - Maybe next year we will go all out on performance.
KSP

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
WOW!:eek:
Very nice:cool: .

Since I never had a motorcycle with a belt drive before I just have one quick Q so as to learn. Benefits and drawbacks of a chain drive besides a little dirty bike? Redirect to somewhere so not much time wasted on my rookie questions at least. Is it why it feels with less of a "plunk" sensation when shifting hard from one gear to the next.

Congrats on such a radical ride:notworthy .

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Frank,
I think that you can find the chains that I was talking about at Pingel - and sprockets(polished) at sprocket specialities or specialty sprockets. Eduarprmd - The primary advantage that I saw with chain set up was the ability to easily change the gear ratios. With drag racing you can get the ratio on the money so that you are going through the lights at the desired RPMs. I did not really notice alot of diference in how the bike felt for general purpose riding. It did impact my rollout times by -.02 or -.03 range. The belt setup is perfect for me - as I lauch immendiately after seeing the third bulb - with the chain setup I had to adjust my launch setup to prevent redlights. I am more consistent with the belt drive - but this is an issue that has to do with me and might not be the same for others. Since I frequently race drag bikes that use a push button launch (i.e. airclutch or cintrifical clutch setup) cutting tight lights is imperative to stay in the competition. Therefore my current setup. I could improve ET with the electric shifter if I configure for 5 gear pass instead of current 4 gear - possibly .2 to .3 or .4 seconds. The downside is that since I ride on the street the gearing would be very low - like not having a fifth gear and always crusing in 4th on a 28 tooth setup. KAz also has a chain setup - Kaz can you weigh in here with your opinion.
Kevin
Kevin

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Kevin, looks like you will have a primo set-up. Good luck in the races:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 77 Posts