Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, removed my radiator cover on my 2002 vrod, looks nicer and been running for almost 6 months now and the bike is running fine not a single issue,. was wondering if I can change the radiator, to something smaller like the ones on the 2018 line. need the help

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
hi, removed my radiator cover on my 2002 vrod, looks nicer and been running for almost 6 months now and the bike is running fine not a single issue,. was wondering if I can change the radiator, to something smaller like the ones on the 2018 line. need the help
What makes you think the 2018 VRSC radiator is smaller than a 2002 version?

Running without the front radiator cover is risking damage to the radiator from road debris off the front tire.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I believe the actual rad size is about the same on the 2017s, possibly a few more cooling tubes in the current replacements. All I know is my 2013 has the same rad as the 2010 for example but the 2014 and up are a different part numbers for both the rad and oil cooler. There appears to be brackets to convert the rounded outer ends of the new rads to flat. All bezels have the same part numbers as before, so I don't think the rad size overall is different enough to be noticeable.
Ron

·
Registered
240 Posts
What makes you think the 2018 VRSC radiator is smaller than a 2002 version?

Running without the front radiator cover is risking damage to the radiator from road debris off the front tire.
Didn't think they even built the VRSC in 2018. Wasn't 2017 the last year?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are we talking about radiators or the oil cooler on the front of the new softails?

There are a lot more concerns in sizing a radiator than the outer dimensions but my suggestion would be to stick with the correct radiator and add some type of protection even if it isn't the stock shrouds.

Taking an oil cooler and using it as a radiator or adapting a radiator from a smaller, lower power engine is just asking for trouble. Unless you do all of your riding in Alaska, if that's the case you should be fine.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
change the radiator, to something smaller
To this part. Absolutely no. While the VRSC is adequately cooled (debatable), HD didn't like the look of a radiator and made it as small as they could get away with. They put a lot of R&D into using as small a radiator as possible. You would be playing with fire.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
thank u all, not necessary the vrods radiator, any other radiator that might work with it.
Mounting brackets, inlet and outlet location and then there's that pesky oil cooler that needs a home too. Too much aggravation in my view and no easy task to make it look good. As for the question, any rad of equal size and core area would work. However , in my view it's bare bones minimum from the factory, as is.
Ron

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Wacky idea to remove the covers if you ask me,would look shit without some sort of protective grille and invites a split radiator miles from base.

Almost as useless as this sort of 'cool' mod:banghead:Scoops are there for a reason as is the narrow front tyre.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts