Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new Vrod owner, 2004 VRSCB, 5200 miles. The previous owner put Screaming Eagle slip-ons on, and apparently the baffles, and it is so loud it actually hurts my ears.He has a PC3 on it, and it dyno'd 103.6 Hp and around 76 ft-lbs Tor.
I like the looks of the slip-ons, but cant stand the noise.

My options are to baffle the SE's, or put the original pipes back on.

So my question is, if I put the original mufflers back on, how much do you think I will lose in HP?

If I baffle it, what baffles would you recommend for the SE's?

Appreciate any input,
Craig

·
EXCELSIOR
8,438 Posts
If they're that loud he probably "V-Modded" the mufflers and surgically removed the baffle core. One removed they can't be replaced. If there's about a 3" opening in the rear then this is the case, standard SE mufflers have around a 2" spigot at the exit that sticks out about 3/8" from the rear plate.
This was a popular performance mod and could be done to both stock and SE mufflers. Makes them straight through fully open with essentially no baffling.
I would suggest trying to find a set of stock or unmodified SE slip-ons or other aftermarket slip-on to replace them if they're too loud for you.
You will need then to retune for the reduction in noise and increase in backpressure.
With the PC3 you may find a suitable program available for download free depending on the combo you choose

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is exactly what I suspected the previous owner did, as there is one big hole and no "spigot" extending outward.

Do you think if I put the originals back on, that I will lose more than 2-3 HP? I know they will weigh more.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what I suspected the previous owner did, as there is one big hole and no "spigot" extending outward.

Do you think if I put the originals back on, that I will lose more than 2-3 HP? I know they will weigh more.
I doubt you will lose any that you would notice. Only a dyno would see it. Matter of fact, you might gain some low end torque with a tad more back pressure. That you might notice. Tune wise, likely wasn't done with the modded pipes so , hell the tune might end up being better.
Ron

·
EXCELSIOR
8,438 Posts

A stock 1130 on the dyno makes 105 hp, all day every day. There are multiple dyno graphs on this site to show this.
Guys spent, back in the early V-rod days $60 for a K&N, $300 for a tuner, $500-$700 for an exhaust system, Put it on the dyno and have it tweaked and get 5 additional hp, YES you read it correctly 5 hp. And there are multiple dyno graphs on this site to show this as well.
I'm not sure I could justifiably say that I could actually feel a 5% increase in power when that increase is at 6000 rpm and not at idle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input.

Do you guys flash your ECU's? If so, who does it best?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Thanks for the input.

Do you guys flash your ECU's? If so, who does it best?
Simple enough question but not a simple answer. Look at it more as a tuning process. Several products like TTS, PV1 will allow a new cal to be flashed to the ECM. Keep in mind, this is only a starting point to begin the tuning process and without factory O2 sensors, there's no way to get data to actually correctly tune the bike. You are stuck with the plain generic base cal. PV Target Tune comes with WB sensors, autotune module and the PV1 unit but you will need to add O2 ports to the pipes. The list goes on but I think you get the point. Some have had luck with Power Commander and a base cal but it again can only be tuned to your bike by using WB sensors and the PCV autotune module. Using any of these other then slapping on the PC with a base cal requires a fair amount of EFI tuning knowledge for best results. Take the word autotune with a grain of salt. It's a tool in the toolbox. Simplist method at the moment would be to poke away with the PC3 or just remove it if you go back to stock exhaust.
Ron

·
EXCELSIOR
8,438 Posts
You mentioned the PC3, the bike is a 2004 "B" model, same as mine. Probably the cheapest thing you could do is purchase a set of stock take off mufflers, install them, remove the PC3 and ride. At that point it should be stock. The PC3 doesn't change the ECM, it just alters the input/output to better accommodate the modified exhaust and intake. Without the altered mufflers the air filter will make no difference.
There were two styles of SE mufflers, one style that had the swoopy contours of the standard mufflers and the SE Shotgun style that looked exactly like V&H Shotguns. Both are desirable and rare as hens teeth. Stock V-Rod mufflers in good shape can be picked up if you shop around, classifieds here, more likely ebay or even one of the many face book v-rod sites for in the $100-$200 range, though I've bought several sets over the years at the lower price. They too are beginning to get more rare and go up in price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I am a new Vrod owner, 2004 VRSCB, 5200 miles. The previous owner put Screaming Eagle slip-ons on, and apparently the baffles, and it is so loud it actually hurts my ears.He has a PC3 on it, and it dyno'd 103.6 Hp and around 76 ft-lbs Tor.
I like the looks of the slip-ons, but cant stand the noise.

My options are to baffle the SE's, or put the original pipes back on.

So my question is, if I put the original mufflers back on, how much do you think I will lose in HP?

If I baffle it, what baffles would you recommend for the SE's?

Appreciate any input,
Craig
You can go back to stock mufflers and probably loose very little HP. See how it runs with the PC3. If you don't like the way it runs then unplug the PC3 its just a piggyback tuner.

You probably could sell the mufflers, PC3 and tune as a package.

If you want to play Dynojet still has free software down loads for the PC3 USB. There are free maps in the forum and on dynojets website.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts