Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lot's of threads on the VROD's fuel consumption. Now there is another one. I recently installed the UE 5 gal tank. Had a few weeks of riding to learn the mileage limits and how the gauge reads. One thing is for sure. The VROD gets really thirsty when running 5k or more for any length of time. I have gotten as good as 39 mpg on a conservative ride rarely going over 70 mph.(As rare as an honest politician.) Got 200 miles on that tank. Others have gotten more and less. YMMV. The other day I ran a through a tank on the Turnpike. Speed limit was 80 and I rarely got under it. Many times got over it. But mostly running around 85 to 90. After the last toll booth I was cruising along about 3 miles from the house when I felt the dreaded bog. I ran out of gas at exactly 140 miles. I didn't expect that. That tank ran through at 27 mpg. That is one hell of a range difference! And I have the 30t front pulley. Now I know.

·
Registered
169 Posts
They do get very thirsty above 5k, but even driving like a grandma I've never seen over the mid 30's mpg.

·
I Hate Stupid People
724 Posts
25 - 32 mpg. After modifications this is what I get. Running Hard or cruising @ 63mph. I've ridin conservatively and I've road it hard, very hard. Just be happy your gas gauge works. But always use that trip-ometer.
Ride safe this summer everyone.

·
-MIG
66 Posts
Well, with the turnpike at 0500, average speed is 85-95mph and 75-80mph on the way home. It's been awhile since I've paid attention... but 26mpg or so.
-MIG

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
You should never - ever run out of gas. I got the 30t front pulley, but I don't care what's going on with speed, Mpg etc. - when the fuel needle goes red I'm thinking about a gas station, I don't care what the mileage reads but very seldom have I ever gone over 120 miles without worrying about fuel, usually I top off with 3.5 - 3.7 gallons so I still have 1.3- 1.5 remaining which means really ( saying .5 gallon is an absolute minimum ) I got .8 - 1.0 gallon remaining which at regular Mpg is 24 - 30 miles remaining max emergency range. When the red needle comes up go get gas as soon as practical. V Rod is not about great mileage it's about hauling A$$ so if you burn it up put it back in, or you're walking, pretty simple. (y):cool:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I always reset the tripmeter to zero after a fill up. When it hits 100miles I'll pull into the next gas station.....rinse & repeat.

I have no idea what gas mileage my VROD gets but if I had to guess, ~30mpg.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should never - ever run out of gas. Thanks for the tip! lol! I was caught off guard. Not unprepared. I like to know my bikes limits since I tour on all of them. I installed the 5 gal tank so I wouldn't have to fuel every 100 miles. But I always have spare fuel. Lesson learned long ago. My fuel gauge went Red at 100 on the tank I went 200 miles on. It hasn't done the same thing twice yet. It is just there. It doesn't bother me. Most bikes I've had didn't have one anyway. Always used the odometer. Old habits. Fuel consumption is very much, need to know information for touring. If you don't know your bikes limits. You don't know your bike. Most riding, I'll be in the 165 to 170 range. Driving miss Daisy, I'll get 200. More times than I should. I'll get 140....or less.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
noechamp - If you're fuel needle went red at 100 Miles and you rode another 100 miles then something is wrong. You should have like I said 1.3 - 1.5 gallons remaining at the red needle even if you got 40 Mpg that's only 52 - 60 miles range. Might be shape of 5 gallon tank vs what tank needle is calibrated for. If it varies something is going bad. Yes use odometer refill at 120 - 130 miles no dreaded bog on way home. (y) :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts