Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys brand new to the site, I have a 2014 night rod special and have noticed metal shavings on the oil drain plug. I got the bike at 5k miles and done a oil change at 7k miles and noticed no metal shavings on the drain plug, now the bike is at 9k miles and I’ve noticed metal shavings on the drain plug. I ride the bike hard and do wheelies on it I’m just wondering is this to be expected since the gearbox/engine share the same oil? I’ll attach some picture hopefully they come through clear enough. Cheers in advance!
Blue Gas Electric blue Circle Auto part

Gas Electric blue Wood Button Circle

Blue Automotive tire Wood Gas Electric blue

·
Registered
755 Posts
In my opinion (and it’s just that- an opinion) I don’t see anything to really worry about. No real “pieces” but rather the grey sludge that the magnet picks up. Others here feel free to correct me- but… you can always have an oil analysis done- it would tell you the health overall.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Semi normal based on hard riding but seems more then it should be for 2k oil interval. Most likely from trans, dogs and gear pocket engagements over time. Engines make metal, fact of life or they'd never wear out. Add a trans to the mix, there is more places to make metal. While no metal is desired, there will always be some, even if it's only a couple or micro specs as in my bike. All I can say is monitor it over time. Does it reduce, stay the same or increase in amount? We use to have a joke in aviation. If the particle doesn't have a part number on it, keep flying. A bit extreme but you get the point.
Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers boys for the input, I’ll go easy on her and do another oil change in a couple hundred miles just to make sure. I think it is all the hard riding(fingers crossed!)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hey guys brand new to the site, I have a 2014 night rod special and have noticed metal shavings on the oil drain plug. I got the bike at 5k miles and done a oil change at 7k miles and noticed no metal shavings on the drain plug, now the bike is at 9k miles and I’ve noticed metal shavings on the drain plug. I ride the bike hard and do wheelies on it I’m just wondering is this to be expected since the gearbox/engine share the same oil? I’ll attach some picture hopefully they come through clear enough. Cheers in advance! View attachment 609377
View attachment 609375
View attachment 609376
What oil are u using?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If youre at almost 10k miles id pull the clutch cover off, drain the oil and inspect the clutch as well as oil pump.

When pulling the clutch cover screws there are 14 in total not including the 6 for the throw out bearing. They all torque to 7.4 ft lbs (89 inch pounds. Its a metal gasket so you dont need to change it but you can if you choose i changed mine.

Once the cover is off inspect the bearing on the center of the clutch its held in by a snap ring pull that and us a pick or magnet to remove it. Once removed inspect the bearing to make sure it spins freely with no bumpiness to the spin. That clutch bearing failed on me at 10k almost exploded and would have cost a whole new motor. Once inspected you can determine if you need to change that bearing [part # 8885] its like 15 bucks just takr it to a local machine shop and ask them to press the button into the new one and then press it to the retainer. If you notice the clutch needs to be changed i would do while youre there 3 snap rings 1 nut 1 1/4" i believe purchase a new nut its 38 bucks but you have no choice when doing it it torques down to 162 ft lbs. Happy hunting

1 - 8 of 8 Posts