Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2009 Muscle. When I bought it from the dealership it already had the V & H 2-1 Competition pipe and SE tuned. I always run 91 octane (higher if I can find it) and avoid the evil Ethanol :hidesbeh: When I did my 10k maintiance (bought it with 7,500 miles) when I pulled the plugs the tops were very White, if it was a air cooled engine only this would be way too lean but with it being water cooled it can take it a little better. I don't think HD would of intentionally tuned it "lean" I didn't see the A/F chart for it when it was tuned. Anyone else notice this with there Rod? i'm gonna have a talk with HD about richining it up a little bit. when all else fails I can purchase race fuel just down the street but can't always carry a gallon of 100+ to mix every time either. Thanks all :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
white plugs

FYI

Just pulled mine out too. 8500kms original plugs and they where quite white in color as well. My rod is stock with no aftermarket equipment at all.

Was wondering if that is normal as well.

cheers

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
You're both lean.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the insultor color shows more about the heat range of the spark plug that the fuel mixture....our v-rod doesn`t run any leaner than 13.5 a/f at part throttle and 12.7 a/f at full throttle and the plugs come out white....colder plugs would show some coloring... of course with the factory settings in the closed loop it is running very lean...14.5 to 14.7 a/f.... the only way the dealer can richen the mixture is with a tuner of some sort...if you use the sepst have the tech run the closed loop as rich as it can be set... that will have the a/f running around 14.1 in the closed loop.... and throttle response can be improved at the expense of gas mileage by taking the bike out of closed loop at a lower map number...

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
I changed my plugs out in the spring and they were tan in color. I have been told that is the target color for the factory plugs. My SERT was tuned with the HD reccomended map on 16ga Screamin Eagle pipes and K&N and I am semi topples with the which leans out the mix just a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts