Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I'd rather be riding
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my bike to the annual Shrimp Festival this weekend. The weather couldn't have been more perfect and there were thousands in attendance. Traffic was a nightmare to get down to the beach but if you were lucky enough to have ridden a bike, parking was plentiful. There were literally hundreds of Harleys (mainly full-dressed baggers) lined up along the beach highway so I found a nice spot in front of a beach cafe & squeezed mine in.

Later in the day a friend & I were sitting on the porch in front of that cafe watching LSU get beat. I was paying attention to all the people walking along the line of bikes & admiring them. Just about every person would walk along slowly and gaze at the bikes without breaking their stroll until they came to the VROD. They would stop and look as if they'd seen an alien in the midst. Several would bend down and get a close look at the airbox to see what was written on it.

This is definitely not the bike to buy if you don't want attention. I can't fuel the thing up without having some kind of mini-conversation about it. I feel like I'm the rolling advertisement for the bike in this area. I need to start handing out brochures. I wonder if the Rocker will stand out like the VROD or kind of blend in.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
its because we are different.....you can ride a softail into any dealer or club and come out and cant find your bike because of all the softails there....dont see many V's in the crowd.....i pulled into a place on my chrome V with several bikes there,and as soon as i got off of it every single person that was looking at bikes all walked over to the V at the same time to look at it......had quite a crowd around the chrome V....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imagine what it´s like here in Germany; people of all ages, 8 to 80 stop and stare at my Nightrod!
The most FAQ I get is: "DAS IST EINE HARLEY???"

...and I say: "Nein, Porsche...."
You should see the look on their faces then...

Cheers!
drake

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
chrome said:
there will never be a 6 speed in a v-rod.
:them: I don't see a need for it. Some disagree though :hmm:

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
lakedrunk said:
:them: I don't see a need for it. Some disagree though :hmm:
The "Some" always disagree with something. Its as ridiculous as the "Vrod Bagger" discussions, Go out and try to criuse down your street like your on a Big Diabetic Glide surrounded by 50 others just like it doing 11miles an hour. The bike aint built for it. IO have trouble cruising around town in 1st and second.

As far as being "different" its very true, thats why this is the only bike I have ever been interested in and also baffles me when people take the Uniquie design and try and make it look like a Road King or Fat Boy. Just go buy one of those, its a s ridiculous as these Asian cruisers that the Emblems come off immediatley trying to hide what they are.

·
Registered
102 Posts
luxlamf said:
The "Some" always disagree with something. Its as ridiculous as the "Vrod Bagger" discussions, Go out and try to criuse down your street like your on a Big Diabetic Glide surrounded by 50 others just like it doing 11miles an hour. The bike aint built for it. IO have trouble cruising around town in 1st and second.
I'd go for 6 gears if they would leave the top end alone and lower the bottom. It's no fun in stop and go traffic. My clutch hand gives out before the traffic does. Last time traffic was backed up a couple miles on the freeway I gave up and took the next exit for the back roads just so I could keep moving.

Better yet, if they could make a 26T front pulley that doesn't require you to grind the case I would gladly give up some of the top end I never use anyway. At 4000 RPM's to go 67mph with the 28T and about 4300 to do the same with a 26T, I think I could live with that loss.

·
l337ub3rn00b
227 Posts
First day I rode my DX to work, I got out of work 45 minutes later than normal because I kept getting stopped by co-workers on the other shift to ask me about it. Just about everyone took time out of their day or their breaks just to look at it. The next day, some of those on my shift asked me why it took forever for me to get done because I guess a few of them stuck around for a bit so they could watch me start it up. Go figure. Funny stuff.

Imagine if you were a celebrity that owned a rod of some sort. Now that wouldn't be my cup of tea. Ordinary peeps staring at your bike wanting to ask questions and the 'razzi chasing you around too.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
AndyV said:
Anybody have a prediction when they're going to come out with a 6th speed?
This has been the subject of much debate here on the forum, there are threads on it if you do a search. The operative opinion was that the bike didn't need a sixth speed. When you ride a bike as powerful as a V-rod a sixth gear will only A) get in your way, B) get you in even more trouble than one with only 5 speeds or C) get you to the pearly gates much sooner than expected.

·
Registered
288 Posts
luxlamf said:

As far as being "different" its very true, thats why this is the only bike I have ever been interested in and also baffles me when people take the Uniquie design and try and make it look like a Road King or Fat Boy. Just go buy one of those, its a s ridiculous as these Asian cruisers that the Emblems come off immediatley trying to hide what they are.
dIABETIC gLIDE!!! Excellent! Can I use that one? Thanks Dar, yes mega-LOL

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
4stroker said:
I took my bike to the annual Shrimp Festival this weekend. The weather couldn't have been more perfect and there were thousands in attendance. Traffic was a nightmare to get down to the beach but if you were lucky enough to have ridden a bike, parking was plentiful. There were literally hundreds of Harleys (mainly full-dressed baggers) lined up along the beach highway so I found a nice spot in front of a beach cafe & squeezed mine in.

Later in the day a friend & I were sitting on the porch in front of that cafe watching LSU get beat. I was paying attention to all the people walking along the line of bikes & admiring them. Just about every person would walk along slowly and gaze at the bikes without breaking their stroll until they came to the VROD. They would stop and look as if they'd seen an alien in the midst. Several would bend down and get a close look at the airbox to see what was written on it.

This is definitely not the bike to buy if you don't want attention. I can't fuel the thing up without having some kind of mini-conversation about it. I feel like I'm the rolling advertisement for the bike in this area. I need to start handing out brochures. I wonder if the Rocker will stand out like the VROD or kind of blend in.
i love mine.. me=attention whore

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I was at the dealer in Crystal River yesterday w the X and Luigi was parked a few bikes away,there were a few hundred bikes in the lot.We were hanging at the water concession and had a good distant veiw.The same thing was happening,people would cruise by the regular bikes and then almost all would stop and walk around the V-Rods.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
4stroker said:

I also had an 06 yellow and pewter SEE. It was the most beautiful bike I ever owned and did get a lot of attention from people. One woman walked by one day and said "that is a gorgeous bike" I said "thank you, I thought so" at which point she laughed. You will get noticed riding it. Mine unfortunately was totalled in an accident, now I have an 08 DX another noticeable bike it seems.

·
Two Wheels Or A Prop
163 Posts
tagrat said:
When you ride a bike as powerful as a V-rod a sixth gear will only A) get in your way, B) get you in even more trouble than one with only 5 speeds or C) get you to the pearly gates much sooner than expected.
I'm not saying that the bike needs it or not, I've owned bikes with both and can see benefits of both sides of it, but your above comment is not really rational when you look at bikes like the Ducati 1098 (or almost every Ducati for that matter) which has 160HP and a 6 speed, the GSXR-1000 = 6 speed, R1 = 6 speed, CBR1000RR = 6 speed, etc, etc...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Your yellow bike looks pretty amazing. You definitely don't see too many of those, it's an eye catcher for sure!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts