Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone i have a small issue with a 2015 vrod night rod. Seems the earth to the fuel relay is causing an issue. If I earth out the relay fuel pump prime but doesn't stop. I have cleaned every earth terminal and still cant find the cause.

Has anyone had this issue before

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
What electrical mods do you have?
With stock ECM when you turn the ignition on the ECM will activate the fuel pump for a second or two then shut it off. It will not come back on until the engine fires up.
'
So You have either a bad ECM or a wiring error somewhere.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I do believe the ecm provides ground to the relay to run the pump. So if it’s not being grounded, either the ecm isn’t triggering it or it’s a wiring issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there is a green orange stripe wire that goes to the relay. Once I touch it with my test light the pump starts to prime. But won't cut off after it has pressure. If i then turn the run switch off and back on I'm back to square one. I check the pin 10 and 28 on the ecm and both have a ground. Come up with the following codes
P0122 throttle pos sensor low
P0261 front injector open
P0263 rear injector open
P1001 coil open/low
P1002 coil high/shorted
P1003 relay open
P1004 relay closed
Any info that will help?

Bike has all standard parts fitted

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
So there is a green orange stripe wire that goes to the relay. Once I touch it with my test light the pump starts to prime. But won't cut off after it has pressure. If i then turn the run switch off and back on I'm back to square one. I check the pin 10 and 28 on the ecm and both have a ground. Come up with the following codes
P0263 rear injector open
P1001 coil open/low
P1002 coil high/shorted
P1003 relay open
P1004 relay closed
Any info that will help?

Check to see if you have a ground output from pin 4 of the ECM when you first turn ignition on. It will only be for about 2 seconds as it will not be getting a signal from the crank sensor, so you need to be ready to see it straight away. If you get that ground for that short period and then nothing when you try to crank the engine, then you possibly have a faulty crank sensor.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
P0263 rear injector open
P1001 coil open/low
P1002 coil high/shorted
P1003 relay open
P1004 relay closed
Any info that will help?

It doesn't cut out from pressure, it runs for 2 secs to prime the line and then shuts off. Then when you start to crank the engine the ECM gets a signal from the crank sensor and ouputs the ground to the system relay once again. It is possible you have caused some of those codes by poking your test probe about. I would clear them all and see what returns when you try to start it normally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts