Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn. I know how to ride, have my license and have taken the riders course but I have not owned a bike and thus do not have a lot of real world riding experience. Is it smart to get a VROD for a first bike. Should I get something small and more disposable for a first? I have heard it all so far...
Thanks.

·
Resident Tugboat Cpt
4,443 Posts
Frank, personally I think that if you can handle the bike, no matter the size, it would be a good first bike. I'd just caution you to take it easy and learn your limits slowly. I think that you'll find it to be an enjoyable experience.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
If it feels like the bike for you, try a rental or a demo ride first. Or be like me and just buy it and love it!

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
:them: All above is good advice "except" a V-Rod really IMHO isn't a good first bike. It is heavy, powerful, and expensive. Only you really know if your up to 120hp 600lbs motorcycle. V-Rods handle different then most smaller cc bikes (foreign) and even more different then say... Sportsters. I'd would demo one before buying if I were you.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
It's my 1st bike, bought a 2002 used from Texas site unseen and had it delivered, learned how to ride it and 3 years later I have 45k miles on it. Its very comfortable to ride and low to the ground, I havent riden a easier bike actually everytime I ride another ike I cannot wait to get back on mine.

·
Resident Tugboat Cpt
4,443 Posts
Cool, David. Frank, as long as you are comfortable, and take it easy for a little while, you should be fine. IMHO

·
JCA1972
102 Posts
Same here, my first bike ever was a V-rod I bought it in March and I love it.
I think it's very easy to handle, but thats just me. Everybody told me to get a smaller bike something with less power, but I'm glad that I didn't listen to them.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
My girlfriend was torn at first too. She had gotten her license almost a year before she got her bike. We had looked at other bikes in the 600cc variety cruisers, but she wouldn't pull the trigger. One day we stopped at the local HD shop, she saw the nightrod on the floor and said, "That's the one." The rest as they say is history. Here we are almost a year and a half later, and she's already looking for more power. I'm a pretty lucky guy. ;)

·
06 SE V-Rod
189 Posts
The V-rod was/is my first bike. I have zero regrets about going for it, as I knew it was what I wanted, and I would have been bored with something smaller within a month. The key question you have to ask and answer is, do you have the self discipline to learn to ride it slowly and carefully, in a low-traffic enviornment, before you start venturing out onto busy streets? I spent the first 100 miles in and around the streets of my neighborhood. 30MPH or less, and the whole time spent getting used to the controls, turning and shifting, and just getting the feel for the bike. I gradually ventured out farther and farther, but at all times making SURE I was staying in a situation that was within my current skill sets. It was about 500 miles or riding before I was comfortable enough to ride anywhere, and even then I was very careful to avoid heavy traffic situations when I could. Even now with nearly 3000 miles on it, I do not go WOT in the lower gears, because I'm not comfortable doing so. If you have the self-control to learn it slowly, I see no reason not to go for it.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Just buy it! I did and do not regret it at all. I did plenty of research and knew this was the bike for me.

·
1130cc.com PITFA
2,883 Posts
The VROD is my first bike and couldn't be happier. I just could not see myself getting a "starter" bike and then get the V.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
My 02 VRSCA is my first bike also, well I had 84 Suzuki GS650 for like 6 mths to learn on and take the test on, but after that I went straight to the big dog! Welcome to the forum by the way and happy purchasing!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Someone tell me Im wrong

I have a saying.....Everyone that rides a motocycle will fall at least one time. Tell me is there someone that has been riding any leangth of time that has not went down??
Some people go down easy... but still go down. And when you do it ONE TIME most people dont go down again (by thier own fault). So if you follow that logic...What do you want your ONE TIME on? A 16K plus machine, or a beater?

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
If you feel you can handle the weight at low speeds, go for the Rod. Doing figure eights on a VR is a whole new experience compared to a much lighter bike. Get somthing you will enjoy and don't worry about it to much. Remember, you can become a greasy spot on any road no matter what you ride so practice makes perfect in the end.

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
FLY ROD said:
I have a saying.....Everyone that rides a motocycle will fall at least one time. Tell me is there someone that has been riding any leangth of time that has not went down??
Some people go down easy... but still go down. And when you do it ONE TIME most people dont go down again (by thier own fault). So if you follow that logic...What do you want your ONE TIME on? A 16K plus machine, or a beater?
If you knew when that "one time" would come, then it would make the choice a lot easier. Who wants to ride a beater for months, or even years waiting. V is my first bike, only rode dirt bikes years ago. If you are destined to dump your first bike then consider the money you will lose on the resale of your beater, as the money you will use to repair the v-rod, or pay the deductible.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Man, just buy the thing and put a super charger on it, nitrous and all that good stuff on it the first day you get it.

You gotta think anyway, so why not think big?

·
Registered
230 Posts
It all depends on the person, IMO. V-Rod is my first bike (got it about 3 months ago) and before I actually got on it and started riding, I had a LOT of trepidation concerning its size; I wondered if I had made the right choice.

For me, it was the right choice. However, I will say that if I wasn't a fairly strong dude (6', 185#), I would have dropped the bike several times at first--including once when I crossed it up turning right at about 5 mph and hit the front brake. At 600#, it took every ounce of strength I had to hold it off the ground while I swung my leg over and stood it back up.

All in all, though, I'm happy I went with the Rod. I'm sure you will be, too--just make sure you don't immediately hop on and think your talents are commensurate with the bike's. I still haven't explored 1/10th of its potential and don't plan to for a long while.

·
Tracey
405 Posts
I don't think it would be a bad choice if you keep your head on straight. The seating position and height make it a good choice to learn on. Having said that, what the guys said previously about dropping it is dead right, it happens... usually when you are doing something like parking it in the garage or making a slow turn in a parking lot. Also, there is nothing wrong with getting a smaller bike for 4 or 6 months and learning to drag the pegs before getting something bigger.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It was my first. It was not a problem. Just take your time and stay out of the throttle until you gain some experience.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts