Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm out riding for more than an hour or so, this problem creeps up. I'll be on the highway, then all of a sudden, the engine cuts out, loose power, speedo, tach and fuel needles dive, then it all comes back a half second later. I'll pull off the highway running, but as soon as I pull in the clutch at a stop the bike stalls, and is difficult to start. When I do get it started, it just wants to stall again, unless I keep some throttle on it.
The dealer said it was not throwing historical codes, but the engine light stays on for 10-20 seconds when started each time. They changed the IAC, problem came back a week later. Then they removed Gill's box, saying the bike rode fine without it, and it may have been the problem. The problem still exists, I need some guidance so that I don't get raped again for another $200 service that accomplishes nothing.
By the way, the bike is stock, engine wise with SE2 mufflers vmodded, SE airfilter and SE2 program download.

Anyone seen this situation, and can shed some light on it for me.

Thanks

Pete

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vrodracer said:
When I'm out riding for more than an hour or so, this problem creeps up. I'll be on the highway, then all of a sudden, the engine cuts out, loose power, speedo, tach and fuel needles dive, then it all comes back a half second later. I'll pull off the highway running, but as soon as I pull in the clutch at a stop the bike stalls, and is difficult to start. When I do get it started, it just wants to stall again, unless I keep some throttle on it.
The dealer said it was not throwing historical codes, but the engine light stays on for 10-20 seconds when started each time. They changed the IAC, problem came back a week later. Then they removed Gill's box, saying the bike rode fine without it, and it may have been the problem. The problem still exists, I need some guidance so that I don't get raped again for another $200 service that accomplishes nothing.
By the way, the bike is stock, engine wise with SE2 mufflers vmodded, SE airfilter and SE2 program download.

Thanks

Pete
Well the key to your problem is electrical and not engine or ecm related. I say this for several reasons the main being your description of gauges. The speedo and tach are both on the serial data bus but the fuel gauge is not. Since all the gauges dive your dropping either power or ground and my guess is ground.

Check battery cables

Check the ground straps on each head near the center of the motor behind the horn

Check the ground strap that attaches to the frame on the left side and goes to the oil pan.

You might even switch your system relay for something like a fan relay to make sure you don't have a system relay getting hot.

·
1130cc.com PITFA
2,883 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 07 DX, only it was at night and had fireworks going on. Took the battery cables off, wiped/cleaned battery posts, wire ends, and the screws. Put it all back together nice and tight, no problems since. The next day was our factory tour and I asked around, the general thought was that the one or both scews were loose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max said:
Well the key to your problem is electrical and not engine or ecm related. I say this for several reasons the main being your description of gauges. The speedo and tach are both on the serial data bus but the fuel gauge is not. Since all the gauges dive your dropping either power or ground and my guess is ground.

Check battery cables

Check the ground straps on each head near the center of the motor behind the horn

Check the ground strap that attaches to the frame on the left side and goes to the oil pan.

You might even switch your system relay for something like a fan relay to make sure you don't have a system relay getting hot.
I did everything but the relay, not sure how to do that. Anyways, there were no loose grounds, I sandpapered the battery cable ends to clean them up, went out for a ride and the same thing happened. I looked down at the moment of the engine cut out, and only my speedo needle dropped. Other times I am certain I'd seen all the gauges go. The bike stalls with the clutch in and the starter has a tough time getting the bike restarted with out throttle applied.

Thoughts?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If you start the bike using any throttle it will stall again and will continue to stall and be hard to start until you reset the iac. Turn the key on but don't start the bike for 30 seconds. When you do start it make sure to use not throttle and it should correct the stalling. The system relay is in the fuse box at the front of the seat under the air box cover, you can just move a couple around, mark the original one that is in the system relay slot so if it fixes the problem you know which one to replace

·
Registered
90 Posts
help with running problem

vrodracer said:

Thanks

Pete
also..keep this in mind.. i don't know if you heard of my issues, but mine did the exact samething in the beginnib then it gradually got a whole lot worse. double check the fuel sock. if the disc is sucked up against the intake on the pump, it will be hard to start. just a thought.

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
I had a similar problem. It was a loose ground wire. Tightened it up. Never had the problem since.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max said:
I switched the system relay with the fan, no difference. I then switched the starter relay with the fan relay, and I did not throw a code or stall for the entire test ride. Can I leave these relays swapped for the weekend till the dealer appt on Tues. without hurting anything?

By the way, thanks Max for the great advice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spoke too soon, the engine light and the battery light started coming on again today. The bike goes in tomorrow but I'd like an idea of what may be wrong so I don't get taken to the cleaners again.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks

Pete
Pete,
Could you help. Recently purchased a 2003V Rod, had it on short rides, only up to 45 minutes. just this weekend had it on a ride for just about an hour and the engine just cut out. pulled over let it rest for a few minutes starter her up and drove for a few minutes, it cut out again. then let it rest for about a half an hour and drove it home for about a 15 minute ride with no problems. Did you ever resolve your problem because it sounds similar to mine, what could it be? Thank you Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts