Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased the sundowner seat for my 2003 vrod, which is very comfortable compared to stock. The problem I have now is the bike is not comfortable for longer trips without a windshield. I have tried both the sport windshield and now I have the touring model.

I am 6'2" or so and with the touring windshield the wind seems to hit me right in the top of the head creating a lot of vibration and preasure on my head. I wear a full face ICON helmet. The vibration on my head makes the ride very uncomfortable. Removing the shield takes away the vibrations but then you have all the wind hitting your chest, then long rides are not comfortable at all. I am seriously questioning if this is the bike for me. I love riding it around town but want to take it on longer highway trips.

Any ideas? Would going to a half helmet be more comfortable? I have the shield as high up on the forks as it can go.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
have two bikes!

no seriously, I've never worn a full face helmet but I would think the heavier the helmet the more it's gonna want to fly off your head. but it is your head so buy a helmet that you feel safe with. I use one of them novelty helmets and it's the closest thing to not wearing anything. I do have a DOT approved half helmet and when going highway speeds it just wants to take my head off.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Get lowers for it- you will be AMAZED at the difference.

While you are riding place your hand flat towards the ground between the top of the airbox cover and the handlebars. You will feel the air rushing thru that area. You can lift your hand following the current of wind right to the top of your helmet.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
JSC said:
Get lowers for it- you will be AMAZED at the difference.

While you are riding place your hand flat towards the ground between the top of the airbox cover and the handlebars. You will feel the air rushing thru that area. You can lift your hand following the current of wind right to the top of your helmet.
:them:
The updraft is a major complaint of mine. Before I mounted my fairing, I had Memphis Shade lowers, then had a custom windshield made that went 8" lower than the touring shield.

BTW: The fairing eliminated the problem

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
windvest works great...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
windshields are for sissy's! Your a man enjoy the wind! Other then that get yourself the biggest damn windsheild you can get and deal with it even if it looks like crap!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do enjoy the wind, but it causes you to have to hold on real tight to the bars and my hands get tired. I will look into the lowers.

A buddy of mine has a heritage soft tale, his winshield does not look bigger then the touring one on my vrod, and he can wear a hat forwards while riding.

I am not sure what the solution is. If I dont wear a helmet it feels like I am getting pounded on the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I find with the Batwing Fairing that I prefer the shorter windshield (I have 2), which puts my head in clear air, but shields my body from wind drag at speed. I can wear a hat backwards in town, and at speeds up to 60 mph or so. On the hiway, I prefer the full face. With the taller windshield, I can wear a hat, (but I like the speakers in my helmet for music on a long ride).

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Vrodriding said:
windshields are for sissy's! Your a man enjoy the wind! Other then that get yourself the biggest damn windsheild you can get and deal with it even if it looks like crap!
Wow crazy words from an Airhead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lowers will definitely help the buffeting, if not eliminate it altogether.
The pounding your head is getting (if not from all the drinking you did last night) is the turbulence caused by air coming over your legs and up behind the windshield and meeting the air going over the windshield. Lowers redirect the air down low so it goes out and back instead of up, so the air on top has a nice smooth flow over the shield. You may even find you can get away with a smaller shield, 'cos there'll be no more buffeting.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
1. Drag Bars
2. Ditch the windshield

You will sit in a more aggressive riding position, and the wind as you ride through helps to keeps you in a blanced riding position. I can log 800 mile + days with that setup.

RJ

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have been interested in the lowers also. I am having trouble figureing out what to order.

·
Sinner
105 Posts
When non-riders ask me what riding a motorcycle is like--I always tell 'em to stick their head out of the sunroof in their car while going 80:driving: . I love it--a lot don't. Bikes just aren't for everyone. Then again, I guess there's always the Goldwing.

Tex:guns

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yuck

luxlamf said:
Wow crazy words from an Airhead.
They put a quick detach on my bike a tthe dealership to show me what it would look like :barf: is what I about did when I saw it! Windshields are for certain bikes and mine isnt one of them!

·
Registered
258 Posts
packetninja said:
I do enjoy the wind, but it causes you to have to hold on real tight to the bars and my hands get tired.
I just put mine on cruise control and let go. It rests my arms pretty good........:cupcake

·
Retired!
583 Posts
You could go with the HD air deflector. That's what I use on my '03. It takes the wind blast off your chest and looks real good.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had the same problem. I tried several taller shields and going taller wasnt the answer. I added an 18" Wind-Vest and it takes the blast off of the chest but leaves my head up in the airflow with No buffeting. We are about the same height so it may help.

http://www.wind-vest.com/

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
i have the same prob, wind buffetting with the shield sucks, 300+ miles in a day without a shield is more tiring than necessary but doable, Daniii probably has the best solution, hope to see more options at the rally. V-rod is to fun to ditch, I will get it figured out. but for now w/o the shield will will work.

·
Tribal Blades
110 Posts
packetninja said:
I am 6'2" or so and with the touring windshield the wind seems to hit me right in the top of the head creating a lot of vibration and preasure on my head.
I am also 6'2" and I tried the sundowner seat but went back to the stock seat because of the wind not seat comfort. I've read many posts here about ride comfort, seats, bars, etc, but few state their body size which is important. Thanks for posting your height and watch the advice you get. What works for someone 5'8" is not necessarily going to work for a tall rider. What worked for me may not work for you, but at least we are the same size so this might be a more useful point of reference.

I considered a windshield but got so much crap from my buddies that I tried another route and it worked for me. The sundowner, or "the couch" as I call it, is more comfortable but didn't work as it moved me too far forward, and with the stock bars I was forced to lean way back and the wind hitting my chest and head drove my tailbone down. Not comfortable at speed.

I had a local guy build a custom seat on my stock seat pan that moved me further back and I switched to drag bars so I would be positioned leaning forward, chest and head into the wind. I also bolted on a set of D mid-pegs so I can switch up my position on longer rides. This gave me an advantage over the wind trying to push me back and increased my comfort measurably for long rides on the highway.

I won't run a windshield and now that I'm seated correctly for my body style, and can ride for hours at speeds of 85 or so. Peer pressure got to me, I admit it. My buddies told me that if I ran a windshield before I turned 50 that they were all going to call me pussy. And if I get a windshield after I turn 50 they will call me pussy.:)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts