Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been having Trouble with both my R and X.

X-

The X has been throwing error codes P0562, P0563, B0563, B1006, and B1007; various over or under currents of the battery, accessory, or ignition. Of the above listed errors, the majority are over currents. Physical symptoms are harder to start than requiring a few extra attempts to get it going where previously it started first time each time. Riding I don’t notice anything other than the blink of the check engine light and the above mentioned codes.

I swapped out the battery as though it’s been maintained very well, it is 2 years old. The above errors were still present after a new battery was installed and the battery recently was checked with passing voltage and cold cranking amps. An AC output test was conducted along with checking the windings of the stator. Windings showed 0.2Ohm resistance across each winding (0.1-0.3 was the range listed in the manusl), and 0 when grounded out. AC output test showed ~50V at idle across all the windings which seems rather high, factory manual list 16-22V/1000RPM but it was a cold motor and likely idling higher due to cold start.

For the Voltage regulator grounding was checked with no resistance measured. Further bench testing was preformed using a diode check based on this video.

I don’t know if the V-rod voltage regulator uses Mosfet transistor or not, or how applicable the result will be but the results are as follows:

+_V-reg TO +_Multimeter - 0, 0, 0
-_V-Reg TO +_Multimeter – 0, 0, 0
+_V-Reg TO -_Multimeter – 0.445, 0.455, 0.455 V
-_V-Reg TO -_Multimeter – 0, 0, 0

R-

Swapped to a DTT in late June with tuning early July, along with a new battery. Previously it was able to start and tune without any problems both pre and post DTT. A few incidents of hard starts requiring throttle twisting believed to more related to the tuning than anything else. July and August tuning went well with no major problem starting but recently, ~2 weeks ago, starting became very hard.

Yesterday turning over sounds very weak with the bike unable to start at all. The turn over sound weak and similar to a dead battery so the battery was checked and it too passed along with making 400 CCA (Rated at ~330). Error codes are p1607, U1016, U1255.

Stator windings were checked with 0.2Ohm across all three windings and 0 when grounded out. Because the bike was unable to be started an AC output check was unable to be conducted.

The voltage regulator was checked in the same manner as the X with similar results:

+_V-reg TO +_Multimeter - 0, 0, 0
-_V-Reg TO +_Multimeter – 0, 0, 0
+_V-Reg TO -_Multimeter – 0.457, 0.450, 0.459V
-_V-Reg TO -_Multimeter – 0, 0, 0

With all that information do I have 2 bad voltage regulators? 2 bad starters ? a bad starter on the R, and bad voltage regulator on the X? what else can I test?

thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interesting addendum.

Both voltage regulators were put back in the batteries reinstalled after sitting out the bike for a day, both bikes started rite up.

I'm going to cycle each bike 3-4 more times to make sure a surface charge hasn't built up on each of the batteries but one important thing happened; The voltage regulator was removed, ground and all then reinstalled. while the ground was checked prior to removal this could be a symptom of a faulty ground. Also the ECM sat for ~24 hours without power.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Guess my first question would be what is battery charging voltage? Should be around 13.8 to 14v with engine running, Check it with the lights on also. Do you have any aftermarket electrical loads. Did you check all grounds, because thats what it sounds like. What year is the bike? Because I am only know where the grounds are on my 2012. One on the cam cover and other on the oil pan. Anyway sounds like bad connections.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess my first question would be what is battery charging voltage? Should be around 13.8 to 14v with engine running, Check it with the lights on also. Do you have any aftermarket electrical loads. Did you check all grounds, because thats what it sounds like. What year is the bike? Because I am only know where the grounds are on my 2012. One on the cam cover and other on the oil pan. Anyway sounds like bad connections.
The R is an 06, the X is an 07.

Both bike started rite up a few times and following a cool down period of an hour they both fired rite back up. Road each of them and checked diagnostic codes with non present.

The voltage across the battery after letting them sit for an hour was
R= 13.19V
X= 12.97V

Following the hop around the block while running voltage was
R=14.31V
X=14.37V

shut them off and measuring voltage
R=14.24V
X=14.34V

if i had to venture a diagnosis i think it was a loose or corroded battery terminal as the V_reg hasn't been touched since i rebuilt my R last year and on the X, its never been touched.

I plan on going through all the grounds next weekend, but for now both bikes are running. well see if they throw more error codes in the coming days. There are 4 on the R, a separate L Bracket for the battery on the front valve cover, one each on the oil pan, and 2 on the front and rear heads. X has 3, with the battery grounded to the front heads.

Don't like it when machines heal without a definitive cause, too Skynetty.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The R is an 06, the X is an 07.

Both bike started rite up a few times and following a cool down period of an hour they both fired rite back up. Road each of them and checked diagnostic codes with non present.

The voltage across the battery after letting them sit for an hour was
R= 13.19V
X= 12.97V

Following the hop around the block while running voltage was
R=14.31V
X=14.37V

shut them off and measuring voltage
R=14.24V
X=14.34V

if i had to venture a diagnosis i think it was a loose or corroded battery terminal as the V_reg hasn't been touched since i rebuilt my R last year and on the X, its never been touched.

I plan on going through all the grounds next weekend, but for now both bikes are running. well see if they throw more error codes in the coming days. There are 4 on the R, a separate L Bracket for the battery on the front valve cover, one each on the oil pan, and 2 on the front and rear heads. X has 3, with the battery grounded to the front heads.

Don't like it when machines heal without a definitive cause, too Skynetty.
Im sure u keep them on battery tenders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dimebag, I have the same problem. My 2008 DX's voltage regulator has the same multimeter readings. Fluttering speedo lights with check engine, and battery lights coming on intermitantly.
0, 0, 0
411, 412, 408
0, 0, 0
0, 0, 0

Did you replace the VR, or did you resolve your electrical issue with a different solution?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well this is a blast from the past.

So the R was a failed battery. I bought a cheap battery when I installed my DTT, that almost immediately failed. Not completely dead and had enough charge to kick over the bike to get it running. From there weird things happened to the low voltage and frequency based instruments. Erratic speedometers/tachometer, lights, etc. Turns out those instruments are very sensitive to voltage changes and with the partially failed battery they were acting erratic. Got a Duracell battery and learned my lesson about cheap batteries.

The X was a failed voltage regulator. Again not entirely failed but starting to go. I ended up swapping my R and X voltage regulators after the R’s battery problem was fixed, and the error codes popped up on the R. QED, voltage regulator.

Id start with the battery, it’s the easiest to replace

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the update! Historic posts are great because your old problem is my new problem. I have ordered both a battery and voltage regulator. We will see if that solve my bikes issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts