Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to weed out the exhaust mod options. Am I correct in thinking that the Vmod pipes will work correctly (as in make more power) with a K&N filter and the HD flash for Screaming Eagle pipes? I dont want to spend the money for dyno and tuner, but more into an effective and easy option.
All the talk of putting on pipes and LOOSING HP is what I want to avoid.
Also, does Vmod simply take out the entire baffle and put a screen on the end? How loud is that? Like straight pipes on another bike?
Thanks,
Sam

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Adam, I would offer that V-Mods, K&N and flash are going to give you the most bang for your buck and will yield ~ +10 hp. I have yet to hear of anyone that got their pipes mod'd that weren't happy with them. I wanted the low gutteral roar without out the hi freqency crack and that's what I got. (I think straight pipes sound low budge.) Steve removes the inner baffle -- no screen.
Effective and easy option for min $ .... I think your on the right track.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Which flash are we talking about guy's? i.e. HD p/n and do you use the same flash with a 28t?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Since HD took the SE parts off the website there's no way for us mere mortals to get the part numbers. The catalog doesn't list the calibration part numbers either, only that there are 5 calibrations available for the V-Rod:

28T only
Slipons w/30T
16ga w/30T
Slipons w/28T
16ga w/28T

It also says in the catalog that all calibrations work with or without the top (I see where Rick was getting his info).

Maybe HD has consolidated it's calibrations and has updated everything to the newest program and simply sets the flag for the pulley size like they do with the Race Tuner. It would make sense that they would clean up their calibration database and the flash's to reduce the number of available part numbers.

Sounds like a good question for the V-Rod tech team next Friday ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am picking up SE 16 gauge this weekend but wanted to know what if anyone has sent the baffles to v-mod? What does it consist of? Can I perform the vmod myself and spend the 150 on something else?

·
4,638 Posts
scottcritt said:
I am picking up SE 16 gauge this weekend but wanted to know what if anyone has sent the baffles to v-mod? What does it consist of? Can I perform the vmod myself and spend the 150 on something else?
If you have never done this before...You are a brave man. Think about this...If you screw up you are out the whole set, you can't bye just baffles and try again...All these possible problems to save 150.00 bucks.. Let Steve do it for you and I promise you will have spent your 150.00 vary wisely.....

Remember different people are good at different things... thats what makes the world go round....

·
v -n*a*t*i*o*n.c*o*m
951 Posts
I just ot me SE V-modded Slip ons back from Steve Today. Great group of guys to deal with. And the do excellent work. I can't wait to hear my bike once they are on. Don't screw with trying to do it yourself. Spend the $125-$150 dollars and get it done right. You won't be sorry! :ride: :kaz:

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Could someone who has heard both tell me the difference between the SE Slip ons and stock mufflers that have been v-modded?

I would like a bit of a description of the difference if I could get one - at idle, normal riding (ie moderate), when you are grabbing a fistfull and cruising at 70 to 80 MPH.

I have the SE slip on's and am thinking about sending my stockers (when the bastards actually return them) to Chopper Steve. The little Aussie bolter has gone from 49 US to 80 us cents since I bought the bike, so it's looking a lot better now for direct purchases from the USA. Ask Ken - the rotten scumbags here at Harley dealers still charge about double what things cost over there, sometimes more. Either they are cleaning up on the exchange rate and think everyone is too stoopid to realise or they have a very messed up deal with the MoCo and are getting equally screwed.

·
Registered
984 Posts
scottcritt said:
SE and 16 ga are a hole differt animal. SE the baffel is welded in 16 ga. baffel is only held in by a set screw. They are simpel to remove (16 ga. ) You can remove packing and or baffel plate then just slip them back in and go.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Karl,

I bought the SE slip ons a few weeks after I got the bike. I think once these break in they sound decent. Let me clarify. They sound pretty much like stock when you are idling however when you crank on the throttle they sound decent. Not great, but decent - much better than stock. But I don't need to tell you this since you have the SE slip ons.

After about a month of using the SE slip ons I still wasn't happy with the sound so I sent my stock pipes to Steve to see what they would sound like - for $150 I figured I couldn't go wrong. If I didn't like them I'd just stick with the SE slip ons. Well, I haven't taken the stock V-moded pipes off since I put them on last summer. There is a definite rumble at idle (that both stock and the SE slip ons don't have) and a HUGE rumble when you crank on the throttle - enough to set of car alarms. At cruising speeds it's also pretty loud. Loud enough that if I went on long trips a lot (all day trips) I would wear ear plugs - or slip the SEs back on just for that trip. Without ear plugs I think that constant rumble would be too much for me - but that's just me.

Therefore, if I was you I would definitely get your stock ones V-moded. They really do make the bike sound more like a Harley. Besides, if you don't like the loud rumble for long trips, you still have your SEs.

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Thanks Craig. I was a LITTLE disappointed by the sound of the SE's, and now that I'm used to them I am starting to think they are really too quiet for just around the place and 1 to 2 hour rides. It sounds like the v-mod stockers and the SE slip ons gives the best of both worlds, run on the same tune (IF THIS IS WRONG SOMEONE ALERT ME NOW!) and can be changed out pretty quickly (say 15 minutes, anyone ever posted a how to?)

I like the stock look and think all the time the design guys went to on them was well spent. The weight is a minor issue for me. I was after looks and sound without reduced ground clearance and with MORE power and there is no after market pipe that rings my bell for all those criteria.

So it looks like I will stump up and ship them over soon.

What is the best way to pack them and who is the best to ship comething like this with do you think?

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
If you still have your boxes from your SE slip ons use them - that's what I used and it worked great! If not, see if your dealer can get you the boxes.

I totally agree with you Karl. I love the looks of the stock pipe and there is nothing else out there I think that looks nearly as good. Perhaps I am giving up some extra ponies by not going to a 2 into 1 pipe, however the horse power gain with an after market pipe is not worth sacrificing the looks of the bike - the stock pipes suit the the lines of the bike like no other pipe. I've changed pretty much everything else on my bike, but this is one change I will not be making. Just my 2 cents.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I've had the stock pipes, V-Mods and V-Mod Se's on the bike and I like the V-Mod SE's the best. Chopper Steve summed it up best. V-Mod stock pipes are for the blvd. cruising, they sound great, loud and low. V-Mod SE's are for the longer trips, nice rumble at idle, great bark when you get on them and no droning at highway speeds.

I noticed the V-Mods made my ears ring after 100 miles with a full face. The V-Mod SE's don't.

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
self v-mods

redbud said:
SE and 16 ga are a hole differt animal. SE the baffel is welded in 16 ga. baffel is only held in by a set screw. They are simpel to remove (16 ga. ) You can remove packing and or baffel plate then just slip them back in and go.
Thanks REDBUD----I thought it had to be pretty simplistic if you just sent the baffels in. Sounds like you can take baby steps. Remove the packing and if that is not all you wanted it to be then remove the plate. What do you guys think of TFI installed by HD. They can tweek and tune til there hearts are content. Serious question: After the self v-mod can I ride my bike to the dealer 70 miles away or is that disastrous?

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
scottcritt said:
Thanks REDBUD----I thought it had to be pretty simplistic if you just sent the baffels in. Sounds like you can take baby steps. Remove the packing and if that is not all you wanted it to be then remove the plate. What do you guys think of TFI installed by HD. They can tweek and tune til there hearts are content. Serious question: After the self v-mod can I ride my bike to the dealer 70 miles away or is that disastrous?
Your bike will run fine with self v-mod the guys here just said you shouldn't run the SE air cleaner topless without getting it tuned runs maybe alittle lean.
I run mine with self modded pipes and it hasn't missed a beat as soon as I get the SE air filter i'm going to get mine tunned. :2cents:

·
Speed Freak
88 Posts
fehrc said:
...however the horse power gain with an after market pipe is not worth sacrificing the looks of the bike - the stock pipes suit the the lines of the bike like no other pipe....
That is the same conclusion I have come to. It sounds like the dealer flash for pipes/filter/topless should be sufficient with the stock v-mods. I would love to get the RT but the money tree is no longer bearing its fruit.

edit: Thinking of the flashes - which do you think would be better - SE or 16ga flash?

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Hang On _ Important

I understood that the flash for SE slip ons and the SE airfilter (or K and N) was fine for V Mods, BUT NOT TOPLESS. I understood you ran dangerously lean if you went topless with this standard HD SE Slip on flash/product group.

I want to do a modified top to get the air without the induction noise, but was pretty sure I also needed to get another flash and/or tune with PC3r or HD Race Tuner.

Whats the deal lads?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts