Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

Ive been searching all night on slip ons and vmods for the DX....I want to ask something...

it seems to me the Tabs,cheatin,force, are all simply exhaust cans or tips that are hollow...is this correct?..

If so...wouldnt it be the same thing to just drill out and remove the stock baffles from the DX,and maybe shorten them up abit like some here have done?....when the stock baffle is removed,isnt the stock pipe just a hollow pipe?

it seems to me all these should sound pretty much the same....similar lengths and being hollow,all should be equal.

If this is all true....why would anyone spend the money on all these type of pipes/cans/tips...when they could simply drill out the stock cans for free???...isnt it the EXACT same thing in the end?...

I do realize some guys want to keep their stock cans stock for warrantee and also some guys like the BLACK look(like those tabs which do look nice)....but it just seems to me ,the LEASE expense would be to remove the baffles..

I just want to conferm that Im not missing something here with these other pipes....I mean the force,tabs and others all come at a pretty hefty price considering they are about 20 bucks from summit racing for a hollow tip in chrome.

also,it looks like GUNNY has a MAP for this type of setup with PC3 and topless/k&n

any opinions?

thanks guys
dan

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing...has anyone tried to SLASH CUT the stock DX mufflers after removing the baffles?.....what are they made of anyway?..are they Stainless steel or what?....would they rust if you slash cut the ends?...

thanks again
dan

·
Registered
683 Posts
NOS-DAN said:
One more thing...has anyone tried to SLASH CUT the stock DX mufflers after removing the baffles?.....what are they made of anyway?..are they Stainless steel or what?....would they rust if you slash cut the ends?...

thanks again
dan
the slash cut from TAB come with or without baffles.

obviously if you get with baffles, they are not just a hollow tube.

the is another thread somewhere with the details of a "baffle" material that you can buy in a hardward store to make your own, if you want to go this route. the baffles definately change the sound (more deeper and rumbling, less violent).

personally i went with tab because it was easy, and i want to keep the stock pipes as new (not drilled or anything). but each to his own. i figure if you do it yourself and want to powdercoat the cheatin' pipes, plus buy baffles etc, you can save around $100 bucks compared to buying from TAB.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts