Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Out to Lunch
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The visor on my Stealth Flame Modular had a tab break and so I'm in the market for a new visor. Does anyone have any experience with chrome/mirrored visors and are they worth it?

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i got the mirrored for that helmet.. and i like it but its not as mirrored as i had hoped it would be.. i had to order it so i didnt get to see it in person first.. its nice but i still wear my sunnies under it

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I have a mirrored visor on my shoie. I love it, I don't use sun glasses under it. I have a mirrored visored on my harley skull flame too. I agree with 3olive, it's not all that dark as far as tinting goes, but it works good. If a "stealth flame" is a Harley helmet, find out who really makes it and get the visor for the non-Harley version, it will be way cheaper. My skull flame was really a KBC VR-3. the visor for it was about $25 from a local sport bike accesory store. The Shoie visor was $70. :broke:

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
I've got a gold one and a clear one for my Shoei. Gold blocks out the sun like a set of sunglasses and makes night riding difficult. That's what the clear one is for....

HH

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
mwdhand said:
I have a mirrored visor on my shoie. I love it, I don't use sun glasses under it. I have a mirrored visored on my harley skull flame too. I agree with 3olive, it's not all that dark as far as tinting goes, but it works good. If a "stealth flame" is a Harley helmet, find out who really makes it and get the visor for the non-Harley version, it will be way cheaper. My skull flame was really a KBC VR-3. the visor for it was about $25 from a local sport bike accesory store. The Shoie visor was $70. :broke:

It's a KBC helmet......

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
I had one and won't do it again. Yeah, it's nice on a very bright day but any other time it's a pain in the ass...and at night, forget it. It's much more practical to wear sunglasses when you need them instead of swapping shields which is what I thought would solve that problem, but it's too much hassle. Sunglasses are much easier to put in your pocket.
If your riding habits are different than mine, ie. short runs only during the day, then go for it.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I've got a silver mirrored one on my Arai. GREAT for daytime use and even though you're not supposed to, if I'm in a well lit area at night, I can still use it. More often than not, I just leave the visor up at night and use clear glasses. If the weather's bleak or I'm doing a lot of night riding, I'll just swap the shield out for a clear one. It's a 30-second operation and I can even do it with the helmet still on my noggin.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
When I ride to work in the morning it is into the eastern sun and on the way home into the western. The chrome/mirrored visors help when used in conjunction with quality sunglasses. I've used them on HJC and now on Shoei helmets. Alone, IMHO a chrome/mirrored visor would serve only to decorate your face.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have one on my Arai and the first one I bought, peeled but the dealer I bought it from replaced it and now the 2nd is due for replacement. It looks good but does not last a long time, mine now has spots on it that the silver is coming off. I agree with nightmare at night I wear clear glasses and leave the shield up, way to dark to ride at night. I would buy another one though, I do like how it looks.

·
Bad luck depository
545 Posts
I have a gold mirrored one and love it. I have clear safety glasses I wear at night with visor up.

·
Registered
911 Posts
HoldHard said:
I've got a gold one and a clear one for my Shoei. Gold blocks out the sun like a set of sunglasses and makes night riding difficult. That's what the clear one is for....

HH
:them:

When I bought my gold one, it was because I looked fabulous. The thing I noticed was that I was getting a lot of eye contact from those drivers wanting to make a left turn. The gold visor their attention for some reason...

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
NightMare said:
I've got a silver mirrored one on my Arai. GREAT for daytime use and even though you're not supposed to, if I'm in a well lit area at night, I can still use it. More often than not, I just leave the visor up at night and use clear glasses. If the weather's bleak or I'm doing a lot of night riding, I'll just swap the shield out for a clear one. It's a 30-second operation and I can even do it with the helmet still on my noggin.
Me too. I wear the tinted one, and just wear riding glasses at night, which is limited.

·
Out to Lunch
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Yeah - I have the HD Stealth Flame helmet that's analogous to the KBC FFR so that's what I went with. It was a $20 difference in price online vs. the dealer.

I rarely travel at night but think I'll throw a pair of safety glasses in my tank bag, just in case. I'd wear shades all the time but it makes it hard getting onto post. The guards need verify my ID and since I can lift up the chin guard on the helmet the visor was the better choice.

I was looking at some of those lids with the tinted visor internal to the helmet - Sweet! Hopefully the price will drop by the time it comes to replace this one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts