Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm a newbie to the Vrod world. So new I ain't even got a scooter. I started reading this here forum last month after cleaning my workshop and noticed my manly inner sanctum seemed as empty as a bachelors fridge cause I hadn't had a scooter to push out of the way in a few years.

Saw the Vrod special on Discovery channel and decided to go Vrod..Googled Vrod and after reading the many online magazine reviews plus dis here cool forum I figured an "R" with the inverted front end and center foot controls would work.

On to the story. So today I visit Central Texas HD in Austin. Only two rods in stock, an 06 full chrome "A" with 4,000 miles and a stock"R"
No tag on the A but the sales tag on the R read, after everything, something like $18,000 plus..can't recall the exacts, it coulda even been $19 thou plus..
I was told the Vrods sell as soon as they are displayed, especially the "R" models.

Anyways, I walked away with;
a. an even greater appreciation of the VRod as a motorcycle.
b. I now know the "R" model tucks mah legs a wee bit too much.
c. the "extended leg" look in so many of the magazine photos can be directly attributed to short legs, cause sitting on the "A" model has the same foot-knee-shoulder to wrist seating of say, a stock rigid frame with forward foot controls , a 4" over wide glide front end and a set of flanders bars...Jez da way I likes to roll...
"I don't need no steenking fog lites, onward, thru da fog!!":moped:

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
The R was discontinued and was not a huge success despite the fact that it was a great bike. You can usually pick them up new for $13,000 or less. Not sure who you were talking to, but I think they were trying to pull a quick one on you.

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
Lots of good deals come up here in the classified section if you want used. Ask the Texas members where to get a good price. Was that "R" gold plated? Glad you were smart enough to know when you are being screwed.

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
:stupid:
mnerren said:
The R was discontinued and was not a huge success despite the fact that it was a great bike. You can usually pick them up new for $13,000 or less. Not sure who you were talking to, but I think they were trying to pull a quick one on you.

·
Gotta Blast!
3,389 Posts
Glad you came here for advice, 'casue that dealer was clearly trying to get you to bend over!!!

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
consafos said:
I was told the Vrods sell as soon as they are displayed, especially the "R" models.:
Tell the salesman you be back in a couple weeks to offer $12500 for the R that will still be sitting there.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
consafos said:
"I don't need no steenking fog lites, onward, thru da fog!!":moped:
Sounds like you rode back from the COUCH store with us to Basswood in 2005.

Man I can't wait for the rally this year.

Welcome to the forums and check out the Homecoming Rally coming in September.

·
Pulling your strings
859 Posts
Central will try and screw you BIG TIME! My dad and I are both in the 'return Cen-Tex HD customers that got screwed out of a deal' club. Their sales philosophy is if they don't sell the bike to you they can sell it to the next joe so why make deals? Try either Cowboy HD here in town (onion creek exit on 35) or Gruene HD in New Braunsfels. Cowboy had 8 V's (1 R) as of 2 weeks ago. Gruene is where I got my D and they were great people to deal with.

Might want to try looking at a D model. It's mid controls with highway pegs stock.

And last but not least - when you get your rod, hit me up and we'll go ride.

·
Pulling your strings
859 Posts
Also, I want to warn you as I thought about it:

Whoever told you that their V's sell quick is a flat out liar trying to con you into a sale. VROD's sit around at Central like tofu at a bbq joint. That R you're looking at has been there for as long as I can remember. They'll flat out screw you on f&p (I think a quote on an 06 D that I got in march was more than double the f&p of other dealers).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
welcome to the forum!

definitely do some shopping for your bike before buying one. Ther are guys on here that got identical bikes as me for around 2k less within weeks of me buying mine. There are deals out there, you just gotta find them.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Tell them the VRod Forums says HELL NO to that deal! Welcome to the forum and good luck with your newest purchase. Beware this site will become your life and you will spend more time here then with your girl!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You should be able to pick up a used R for around $9K. Just the fact that they tried to screw you would make me never step in that stealership again--but then again, most of them do this.

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
masterofpuppets said:
Also, I want to warn you as I thought about it:

Whoever told you that their V's sell quick is a flat out liar trying to con you into a sale. VROD's sit around at Central like tofu at a bbq joint. That R you're looking at has been there for as long as I can remember. They'll flat out screw you on f&p (I think a quote on an 06 D that I got in march was more than double the f&p of other dealers).
Not here, they seem to sell within weeks.

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
the dealer here in montana, has several rods all priced right. 19K for an R is nuts. Got mine for 13K

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
One on the floor in Grand Rapids, MI for 12,995 OTD. Look in the classified - there were several for sale. Welcome! V/R Joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts