Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to pick up a clutch lever at the Honda dealer yesterday and saw the Rune in person. Wow. A totally different style bike than the V-rod, but I really appreciate how Honda stayed true to the show design in contrast to many of their other (boring) bikes. Reading the reviews it handles remarkeably well and (like the V-rod) were glowing in every way. Whereas the V-rod is a lighter/nimble sports cruiser with future styling and racing heritage, the Rune–post launch, is a nimble beast with a retro-cruiser feel and space-age components.

Anyway, I digress, my real story takes place at the Harley dealer which is next door (they are the same owners). I was admiring the Harleys as my V-Rod will be here at the end of May/early June and I had to take another peak. A gentleman was sitting on an 03' black and silver waiting for the sales guy to come back from the office. The sales guy was definitely a veteran at that dealer, he says "I think we can do $19,000 with that setup (the bike is completely stock)". The customer says, "so and so said I could get it for under $18K on the phone". Veteran sales guy "sigh...I don't know why he said that. That is waaay too low. That is $19,800 bike, your killin me" From there they went to the dept in the back so he could show what the bike sounds like with SE pipes. I don't know what the SE usually go for, but when they walked back the salesguy was telling him the SE pipes with download would be an additional $1200 (I assume that included labor).

If I had the time I would have caught the guy in the parking lot. I am anxiously awaiting my 14K 02' 700 miles with 4K in accessories (every chrome option imaginable including controls-excluding rims)!! I have seen a few deals even better. Anyway, that may not be the norm but either is paying over 04' MSRP for an 03' OUCH!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Typical dealer attitude. What a moron. If the guy pays $19K for a '03, then he's a moron as well.

Anyway, there were a ton of Runes at Daytona. Great looking bike, I would love to have one (along w/ the V-Rod), but can't swallow the $25k price tag!

·
Registered
472 Posts
There has never been an uglier front-end on a motorcycle.

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is funny you mentioned that, it bothered me too when I saw the pics before it came out at the dealers. It did not bother me in person but certainly looks funky when you crop it just to that part!! the rest of the bike is exaggerated, so when you look at the whole bike it kind of fits IMO. Its a frikkin cartoon on wheels.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Man.... you should hear that Rune run.... it sounds a different as it looks. I have a Valkyrie before the vrod. When they announced they were discontinuing that bike in favor of the Rune, everyone was hot for it. Then the 25k $ then the reports of sub par performance. Now they can't give um away...... Sound familiar :) lots of ADM at first then good deals can be had all around a little later. The difference is HD has made the Vrod a production bike. Honda made the Rune a limited production bike.

BUTTTT If I hit the lottery tomorrow, one would be in my garage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My opinion of the "Ruined" has never changed from the first time I saw it "...where is the plow that attaches to that front end??" Ugliest bike I've ever seen!

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Manhorse said:
Yes there has.....
Well! I disagree. The pork bike looks better. :rofl2: :surrender

·
Registered
503 Posts
Is 25,000 really that much for such an outrageous motorcycle? heck.. a screamin eagle deuce or road king is about 30,000... I'll bet half the bikes on this forum have 23,000.00 -25,000 in them....

the REAL QUESTION is:

wonder what the resale will be on those things?

Delray.. are you saying you HAVE... or are BUYING.. an 02 with all the chrome for 14,000? that's a smokin deal IMHO...ESPESSILLY if you're going to HAVE to have all that stuff anyway...

You're right... I feel like dragging half the people I see at the stealers out into the parking lot... hitting them on the side of the head... and shoving a tradin' times into there hands and telling them to get to work.. searchin for the deal is MUCH better that actually HAVING whatever it is you're looking for..

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
I guess I got different taste or someting....I kind of like the Rune!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I own a V-Rod and a Valkyrie and I love them both. Both of them are one of a kind, dare to be different, don't follow the herd bikes. I really like the looks of the Rune and I'd add one to my garage tomorrow if I had the $$$.
Like all good works of art they divide opinion and create strong reactions from folks, and I kinda like that. :ride:

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
I'm kidding about the Rune.

I do not like it for myself, no strong feeling about it. I can easily appreciate it. It's beautifuly done. Actually the front end looks trick. The headlight seems very big, the side exhaust exits seem too large, the bike is huge. Overall looks cool but seems kind of plastic. It is not worth 25k, they missed the train on that one. I would not pay anything over what a V-Rod costs. I like the Valkirie cruiser style much better, no windshield, no saddle bags, no sissy bars. I'd own a Valkirie before most any other HD except for the V-Rod. This is soooo true. 1823cc :eek: ?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gthong said:
Delray.. are you saying you HAVE... or are BUYING.. an 02 with all the chrome for 14,000? that's a smokin deal IMHO...ESPESSILLY if you're going to HAVE to have all that stuff anyway...
I bought, but don't have it yet. It is being shipped via haulbikes.com. It only has 700 miles on it. Includes sport shield, engine guard, upgraded seat/mini sissy, and every chrome piece I can think of except the wheels (including grips and housing). I will probably remove the windshield but I wanted everything else. I am dreaming of Ozzy skin options now :thumb:

Rumor has it (comments in a review from a Honda spokesman) that they have some other concept bikes they will be developing the same way they did the Rune (working backwards from the concept drawings). I naturally find the V-rod exactly my kind of bike for my kind of riding, but it will be interesting to see what else Honda puts out besides the Winnebiko (Rune). HD hit a home-run on V-rod marketing (Birth of V-rod) HD showed the way, the kind of bikes most of us dream of don't have much to do with practicality, bring it on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts