Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other bike is a Montesa 360 H6 Enduro.
It is a 25 years old Spanish vintage offroder and I love it to bits.
1 cylinder 350 cc air cooled two stroke engine, 40 HP, only 95 kg weight and loud as hell :mrgr:

The German equivalent from that time (early 80s) would be a Maico 500 GS.

Those were the good old title winning European Cross bikes before the Japs came along.

Are there any other vintage enduro owners here?

·
Michael J
740 Posts
I'm riding a '79 TT 500 when the roads turn to dirt around Flagstaff. Just a jap version of BSA's Gold Star. Lic. for the street but with a feeble 6 volt system, it is a good 150# lighter than the current dual-sports.

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Back in '72 my cousin and I owned a 69 Maico 500. Hellya scarry power and torque. Seized up 3 times in the year we had it. Must have been a German thing. None of my Yamaha MX's ever seized.

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Manhorse,

that probably happened not inside the sandpit / on the track but on a straight bit of road?
Only very few high performance two stroke engines at those times were able to go WOT for a longer period.
The japs were first to cure that problem by installing a load dependant cylinder lubrication system with an extra oil tank.

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My "new" project.
1979 Montesa Cappra 414 VE
only 474 built
I've been looking for one since decades, finally found one in pieces just 20 miles away from home here in Germany... crazy.
Almost every part needs some care taking.
This is so much fun rebuilding and I spend hours searching for parts.

Viva Montesa!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice! Another project, huh? It's looking good already. I'd actually love to have a project bike but I'm really busy at the moment. How much did you get it for and how much do you usually spend to restore it?

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Jess, I got it for just 900 € and spent about 1.000 € for parts.
The value of a fully restored and original 414 can be up to 8.000 €
But I'm gonna keep it and ride it as long as I can.

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two weeks ago, while cruising on a road at 80 km/h, the 5th gear broke into pieces. Managed to limp home in 6th gear. Luckily I had some old engine parts which I could cannibalize. 5th/6th ratio is slightly different than before but its acceptable.
Went for a ride through the woods today, loved it!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts