Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please help. Took my bike to get Dynoed today and the Tuner says he cant tune as this warning comes up and tells him to contact HD and update his software, he has all the software available. He thought my blackbox out of the Race Tuner must have been the wrong one so I went back to my dealer and they hooked it to their computer and said it was right he must have had a bad connection. Went back to Tuner and still the same problem, he has done heaps of V Rods and this is the first time he has come across this problem can anyone help please.:mad:

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK so no one has any suggestions.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
is it possible that since HD changed manufacturers of their proprietary tuners that you dyno dude really does need to update his software?

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it possible that since HD changed manufacturers of their proprietary tuners that you dyno dude really does need to update his software?
I am not sure he is telling me that he did one only 2 days ago with no probs and this has never happened before.

·
DXA+ Member
262 Posts
Hey
Are you using the SERT or the SESPT

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
brett
9,338 Posts
i probably have the same pita sert as u and it will only let you load a map or work from a certain map ,it drove my tuner man crazy ,he hated it ,and eventually i went and bought a tmax anyway and havent worried about ever since ,maybe thats ur prob ,from memory there was only 2 maps he could open up and work with ,this guy also had been working with serts for years , and was confused by it , i can look up on the outside p,c and which number the map was that worked and the type of sert i had ,on the weekend ,if it sounds like an answer to you

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i probably have the same pita sert as u and it will only let you load a map or work from a certain map ,it drove my tuner man crazy ,he hated it ,and eventually i went and bought a tmax anyway and havent worried about ever since ,maybe thats ur prob ,from memory there was only 2 maps he could open up and work with ,this guy also had been working with serts for years , and was confused by it , i can look up on the outside p,c and which number the map was that worked and the type of sert i had ,on the weekend ,if it sounds like an answer to you
Thanks Brett, the dealer reckons the Race Tuner is not at fault and they can access it fine. The problem is the dealer cant do the full custom map and openly admits that. My tuner man reckons if he cant access the map they wont be able to either. So I have booked it in at the dealer and they are going to do a tune and they have said it wont be as good as my tuner could do but it will prove wether it is the RT or my tuners software that is the problem. That wont happen till 2nd Nov. Time will tell. Very frustrating you pay $800 for a tuner it should work properly. on my version of RT there is only 1 base map for VRod with 02 sensors so he hasnt got any chioce which map he wants to tune.

·
DXA+ Member
262 Posts
Hey
Your tuner should be useing software version 4.7.6 or 4.7.7 for an 08 VROD. You can also try contacting Steve Cole on this message board as he is the guy who owns the company that made the SERT and may be able to help. His newest tuner is the TTS Mastertune which is essentialy the same tuner with some new improvements.:):):)

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey
Your tuner should be useing software version 4.7.6 or 4.7.7 for an 08 VROD. You can also try contacting Steve Cole on this message board as he is the guy who owns the company that made the SERT and may be able to help. His newest tuner is the TTS Mastertune which is essentialy the same tuner with some new improvements.:):):)
Thanks yeah he tried everything it just kept returning the same message.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This error occurs if the vehicle's VIN is not found in the tuner software. There are a few models this happens with, but using version 477 (the final release) of the software usually solves this.

If your tuner is using version 477 and he is getting the error, you will need to upgrade the SERT to TTS MasterTune (cost is about $100). Then you get a much improved product and access to better maps as well.

For upgrade information, go to http://www.mastertune.net/ and click on the "SERT Upgrade button.

--Gary

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This error occurs if the vehicle's VIN is not found in the tuner software. There are a few models this happens with, but using version 477 (the final release) of the software usually solves this.

If your tuner is using version 477 and he is getting the error, you will need to upgrade the SERT to TTS MasterTune (cost is about $100). Then you get a much improved product and access to better maps as well.

For upgrade information, go to http://www.mastertune.net/ and click on the "SERT Upgrade button.

--Gary
Thanks Gary he tried 476 and 477 no luck. Ill give it a try.

·
DXA+ Member
262 Posts

--Gary
Good luck with that, I have 2 SERT`s and neither of them were upgradeable.:mad::banghead:

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck with that, I have 2 SERT`s and neither of them were upgradeable.:mad::banghead:
It appears with Gary's expert help the problem has been solved. My bike being an international model needs the answer NO clicked on the box when hooking tuner to bike when the sprocket teeth question is asked. I will find out for sure on Tuesday when I return to my Tuner.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
It appears with Gary's expert help the problem has been solved. My bike being an international model needs the answer NO clicked on the box when hooking tuner to bike when the sprocket teeth question is asked. I will find out for sure on Tuesday when I return to my Tuner.
I'm guessing there was something else that was changed because answering yes or no to that question only changes the speedometer calibration. It has nothing to do with the failure you mentioned in the title of your first post.

Edit: After a little more reading I found some info that explains your "VIN Check 5 Failed PPU Not Found In Data Base" problem. "PPU" is pulses per unit distance from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). The ECM uses 40 m as the unit distance (km/25) and calibrates the speedometer based on this PPU number. The SERT software requires the PPU number for non-US VIN numbers (VIN begins with "5") to be within range for a 30T/72T sprocket combination and stock tire. This is why "NO" must be used when answering the 28T sprocket question.

BTW, the new Mastertune software allows fine tuning the speedometer since the PPU value can be changed to match any sprocket combination or tire size; the SERT software only allows the two PPU values that match a 30T/72T or a 28T/72T with stock size tires. (I'm not sure if speedometer calibration is allowed for non-US bikes with Mastertune).

Calculating PPU: The VSS on VRSC models measures the teeth on the 5th gear of the output shaft (tooth count = 26) so:

PPU = tire revolutions in 40 m X rear sprocket drive ratio X 26

For a standard VRSC rear tire and a 30T/72T sprocket set this would be:

1237 = 19.83 X 2.4 X 26

·
DXA+ Member
262 Posts
You should have mentioned the whole situation at first. Because I live in Canada my Vin # starts with 5 as well and yes I have to answer NO to the speedo question and then it programs fine.

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm guessing there was something else that was changed because answering yes or no to that question only changes the speedometer calibration. It has nothing to do with the failure you mentioned in the title of your first post.

Edit: After a little more reading I found some info that explains your "VIN Check 5 Failed PPU Not Found In Data Base" problem. "PPU" is pulses per unit distance from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). The ECM uses 40 m as the unit distance (km/25) and calibrates the speedometer based on this PPU number. The SERT software requires the PPU number for non-US VIN numbers (VIN begins with "5") to be within range for a 30T/72T sprocket combination and stock tire. This is why "NO" must be used when answering the 28T sprocket question.

BTW, the new Mastertune software allows fine tuning the speedometer since the PPU value can be changed to match any sprocket combination or tire size; the SERT software only allows the two PPU values that match a 30T/72T or a 28T/72T with stock size tires. (I'm not sure if speedometer calibration is allowed for non-US bikes with Mastertune).

Calculating PPU: The VSS on VRSC models measures the teeth on the 5th gear of the output shaft (tooth count = 26) so:

PPU = tire revolutions in 40 m X rear sprocket drive ratio X 26

For a standard VRSC rear tire and a 30T/72T sprocket set this would be:

1237 = 19.83 X 2.4 X 26
Phew alot of that is over my head but I think you are now agreeing cheking NO will fix my problem. What I have been told is on international bikes if you check Yes the Vin number wont match. My dealer has confirmed this.

·
Wick
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should have mentioned the whole situation at first. Because I live in Canada my Vin # starts with 5 as well and yes I have to answer NO to the speedo question and then it programs fine.
I mentioned everything I knew, but I dint mention I live in Australia as I didnt know it made a difference. Anyway thanks to this great forum and the people on it I am now sorted thanks. Trouble was even Harleys head office Technical support in Australia told me the code was for the wrong tuner mated to the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The issue is that the old SEST tuner looks up the VIN in its database, and the entry for the 28-tooth sprocket selection in 2008 international bikes is missing. If you say "no" when it asks for the alternate gearing selection, it uses the 30 tooth setting which works. Only issue with this is the speedo calibration may be off a bit.

TTS Mastertune does not have this problem, and allows you to make your own selection for for speedometer calibration and sprockets. Much more flexible!

--Gary

·
DXA+ Member
262 Posts
I went over all of this crap 2 years ago with Steve Cole and there is no way to properly calibrate your speedo unless you upgrade to the TTS Mastertune. ( Harley`s F Up at the time). My SERT for my NRS was not upgradeable and I have since changed to the TMAX so I am able to calibrate my speedo with that. Hopefully yours will be upgradeable otherwise you will be able to tune it how ever you want within the SERT`s abilities but can`t alter speedo cals. Do you have the 28 or 30 tooth sprocket in Ausi land.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts