Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a few bikers today many different types of bikes. The coversation turned toward the Victory vs Airhead. Some powerful points on both surfaced and for the most part it was light ribbing and some proding. Then one turned me and asked about the Vrod vs the Victory. My answer was simple and kept in the spirt. I told them that I live in a warm climate and do not need a converted snowmobile as a link to a colder climate. They laughed and I followed up with, The Victory is a good bike for what it is. It has no heratige to draw on, it has a small populus of anti Harley owners and a larger one of wanting something other than a Hog or import. I will venture to say that most will look and purchace an Indian when they hit the market. The Victory has a big price tag and dose not offer as much at the HD line. One basic bike with several options. One year warrenty vs a two year. About as much after market is out there as there is for the Vrod. I guess all in all the Victory is still just missing a few things and some cannot be formed in a factory. Heratige, a mass following , and a lifestyle. Now if none of that is why you own a Harley then I am sure anybike will fit the bill. I own my 2 HD's because I like the bikes and love what they mean to me.
Then I got ribbed about owning a Porshe. So I told them I also own an AMF. So I really cant say anything about HD LOL.

Most belive that the HD line as a whole is faster and made better than the Victory. A few thought it was built by Canada and some thought it was English. They all know HD is not 100% USA parts but feel the values of the company are.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
All I know is this dude ran lead for me through about 120 miles of Ohio at steady speeds of 80 - 95 mph on my way to KC. Gotta say, his bike looked and sounded good. And seemed to have plenty enough power.

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
I actually ride with a Victory owners group chapter. We meet up once a week. They are great people and accept me into their group even though I am the " enemy!" They have all tried to run me and have all lost, but they respect me and the R for what it is. Their bikes are really nice and I compliment them accordingly. They tell me that they will convert me someday, but I doubt it will ever happen. My buddy Shawn just bought a new Hammer and he spent about $ 24,000 on it. It looks reallly nice and sounds good, but is quite a bit slower than my R!! Still, they are great guys and welcome me in unlike HD airhead riders!!!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Victorys are very nice bikes....they just need to be priced a little more competively. Plus their resale valuse is horrible!!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My buddy has a victory, he needs to let it run for like 2-3 mins after it has sat for a while for the idle and crap the go down. To me that would suck one time thought about racing when I had my V, but we came to the conclusion that I would beat him. Racing is illegal so of course we only discussed this!

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know a guy who bought a brand new 07 Hammer rode it to my Indy mechanic and proceded to spend about 8-10000 on custome mods. Most of it was chrome and some one off parts and paint. Afgter he was deep into the project he saw my DX. I can say that for my entire lunch hour he looked over that bike like a tech inspector who heard you were cheating. His face spoke alot of his thoughts. I figured he was going to now want to paint his bike flat black. His short conversation with me was, I cant belive that HD has a bike this hot. My old Softail was not this nice. If I knew they built this one my check would be going to Harley instead of Victory. His last comment was I am pissed at you not only is that bike cool you cant change a thing to make it better.

His bike looked real sweet when it was done. He has only put 500 miles on it. Says its not a fun bike to ride he has way to much non returnable money in it. Had a guy at a show who fell in love with it offer him 18,000. It kicked him in the gut because the 1974 FLH next to him that was a hacked up bike sold for 16,000.

·
Now on a VRSCDX!!!
604 Posts
They are nice bikes but they all look like illegitimate kids of the deuce

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
Night Ryder said:
Is ours any better?
V-Rods are probably the worst of the HD line. Seems like the days of selling a "pre-owned" Harley for what you paid for it or more are over.
Still, anything from the MoCo will hold its value better than the aftermarket choppers or other manufacturers - especially if you keep it stock - for a long time.

Attachments

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The value of the Vrod is limited by the public who want one. With the introduction of the DX and the fan fare that is brining to the line will bring resale value up. The AMF bikes that are now brining in a whole lot of money compared to the purchase price almost could not be given away. My Dad was going to buy a very low mileage Super Glide, and the bank was going to use his house as coladeral. The bike its self was not worth the value of the loan. The bike has 1300 miles on it. He did buy the bike and now I own it. I was offered over 15K as it sits. That is 3x the original price but still not a whole lot in todays market. I dont know what the DX is worth and in 25 years it may be worth 3x more or may have fallen between the cracks.
Most everyone who purchaes a bike knows it is worth 1/2 once you sign the paper work. Harley for a long time was the only one that did not happen to. Cars, trucks, minivans, even high end sports cars lost. Look at the Viper the market was so small they could not give them away. Now the used market is still small but the legacy has driven up the used price. The Vrod may also go that route.
One of the girls in our HOG chapter is learning to ride. SHe got a small Honda to start on. With 1000 miles on it in 4 months she out grew it. Traded it in on a larger Honda and told us the hit she took was harsh. The bike was mint but the dealer said it was not worth much. She knew street value was also low.

I guess we all want to buy a product low and sell high. Motorcycles are not that product. In 100 years it may be worth a mint, but for now its worth more under my big ol butt.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
Did anyone here buy thier beloved :heart: V-Rod with a resale value in mind???
:stilpoke:
I didn't, I plan to keep mine as long as I live.. Doesn't mean to say I won't try add the odd new model to the collection here and there though. :D
:vrod:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
MY100 said:
Did anyone here buy thier beloved :heart: V-Rod with a resale value in mind???
:stilpoke:
I didn't, I plan to keep mine as long as I live.. Doesn't mean to say I won't try add the odd new model to the collection here and there though. :D
:vrod:

Well some can only have one bike at a time. I bought my bike for $13,000...if I sold it I would lose about 3-4 thousand. I have seen $19,000 Victory's one year onld in excellent condition going for $9,000.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The V-Rod is simply far superior in power output, quality and design compared to the air heads or Victorys. Some people took exception when I pointed out what I feel are some real quality problems with the current (07 & 08) air heads. But hey, if I wanted a traditional cruiser I would buy the more powerful and better quality (IMHO) Victory if I were spending my money.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
I just had a look at the victory website and I can honestly say how can anyone compare them to the V-Rod..

They don't have anything as sexy as the V.
:D

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
I have a Victory dealer down the road and have stopped in out of curiosity. My impression of their finish is about the same as Honda or Yamaha. Cheap

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Victory has some things on it that are ont too apealing to a HD owner. The clutch release lever on the case looks as if it came off a Honda 50 front drum brake. Arlen Ness has his finger on it and it looks that way. I am not a fan of his. Some of the selling points are just plain ol dumb. The dealer was so interested in the bottle top opener behind the decortive cover he deweled on it for 5 mins. Sorry but I missed the point. I dont drink and I really dont think i want a drunk going over to my bike to pop his beer open.

Resale was the last thing on my mind. It still is, my daughter wants it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts