Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting lots of vibration only when I open her up, when cruising I dont feel anything. Its all comeing from the rear end and traveling up the footpegs.
checked the belt tension, wheel alignment, all ok. removed rear wheel and noticed alot of metal dust around bearing and cush drive. rear wheel spins freely. any ideas any one ?

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,092 Posts
Check that the cush is fully seated.
Make sure the rear pulley isn't being scraped by the belt guards.
If you've done anything on the rear end, make sure shock bolts aren't over extended and rubbbing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I realize that it is old, but no one likes to put any updates with what they found on any of these forums. They seem to get advice and just leave it as is. So I am seeking some feedback for what they found so I can fix my issue Im having.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I realize that it is old, but no one likes to put any updates with what they found on any of these forums. They seem to get advice and just leave it as is. So I am seeking some feedback for what they found so I can fix my issue Im having.

What kind of vibrations are you having?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Vibration that blurs the mirrors and numbs my hand and feet at 3500 rpm. Saw signs of slight contact with the exhaust pipes and frame. But currently not touching. Just wondering what other people found was the fix to all these 3000-4000 vibration issues

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey cyclops,
Ive got the same thing going on with my 'F'. Cruising along in traffic at 3-4K RPM vibrates so bad in the bars that the mirrors are useless and hands go numb.
Took the bike in for 1K service yesterday, asked the tech if it was similar to my previous Japanese bikes and needed the throttle bodies synced up as they wore in and got out of sync. He admitted he was not that familiar with Vrods but would check into it for me. After service was complete, riding home, stopping a couple times for errands along the way, and it seems the vibration is worse.
Called my boss who used to have a built Vrod he had built himself. He had completely rebuilt his with bigger heads, different cams, stoke, etc.. I asked him about the vibes and syncing the throttle bodies. He said because of the heat difference, the cylinders aren't set to run identical, and my problem is either the one cylinder wearing in before the other, causing a difference in compression and output between the two or might be a vacuum leak near the throttle bodies. He stated some piece on Vrod motors that are notorious for vacuum leaks.
In my mind the vacuum leak makes more sense as the imbalance of vacuum levels between throttle bodies is what causes the same issue in most other bikes.
I was having trouble following the list of possible causes he was telling me being new to Vrods (bought mine new 6 weeks ago) and Harleys in general. Got my first Harley 2 or 3 years ago and have been riding crotch rockets since '87 before that. Anyway, we plan to get together Sunday and look at a few things. If he can help me find anything to fix the issue I will definitely let you know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dealership picked up the bike today. Told them the issue and will have them trouble shoot it. I got a 3 yr warranty so it should be covered. Hopefully they dont come back and say it is normal. I did notice a spot on the frame where it looks like my exhaust pipe was rubbing. I told them this so at least they can take a look at it. I will give an update when I get the bike back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update****

Well, Looks like I will be doing it myself or paying out of pocket to find the vibration. Dealership called me today and said it is a "normal" vibration for this type of bike and that 3500 RPMs is "low" for this bike. Sounds like BS to me. But either way they didnt find anything wrong. Maybe another dealership will find something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts