Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bike back from the shop. It's been in since april 20 after an accident.

I test drove it at the shop and it was fine. After putting some miles on it though, the bike has a binding/rubbing quality to it whenever I'm leaning to the left. It's a noticeable vibration that happens when I'm sort of zigzagging in my own lane.

The bike has to be under load or there's no vibration. It's a very noticeable thing--I don't think I'm being picky. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I'm riding with a polo helmet and I can't hear anything mechanical, it's a feeling that comes up through the handlebars and foot pegs.

I've searched the forum for 'vibration and left' but nothing is coming up.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
front engine turnbuckle?

front engine motor mount?

these things come to mind to be checked for such a vibration.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike has 7300 miles on it. It was hit left-side front (right where my foot is.)

They had to split the case to fix some transmission damage among other things. Total bill around 8000. I've been looking for anything out of alignment and I can't see it. Running straight down the road or leaning right it's perfect--only to the left it vibrates BAD.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can someone do me a favor?

The torque link on the front of the motor, just behind the radiator. One end mounts horizontally to the engine, the other end mounts vertically to a tab off of the frame near the jiffy stand. Can you tell me if your torque link is mounted ABOVE or BELOW the tab welded onto the frame?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the torque link on mine is also bent--which would make sense because the point of impact was on the footpeg and that's right next to the mounting tab. IF is is bent I'm disappointed the tech put it back. The engine was out of the bike (and the radiator removed) so I don't seen how you could miss it.

It looks visibly bent. I don't see an easy way of getting to the inner attachment bolt to remove the whole link or I would do it myself.

Looks like the horn cover was damaged and missed too.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Well if it's bent,this is definitely a place to start.You'll have to look at some other late models to make sure where,top or bottom,the link is supposed to be bolted.
The link is used to align the swing arm.This is what aligns the rear to the front.I would definitely count the turns it requires to separate the link and set the new link at the same amount for a starting point.Chances are good that it will be aligned correctly by doing this,providing nothing else is bent out of shape.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And the bike is back in the shop. I took it down there tonite to show them the issues and they didn't want me to drive it any further. I'm also having problems with it sticking in gear when I try to downshift. I have to hit the shift peg 5-6 times sometimes before it'll move down to the next gear.

Sigh.

The bike has been in the shop since 4/20. This is the 2nd time back. I only had it back for a couple of days.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks.............

It's real late but the thought of having to take my bike to a HD
Stealership for work to be done because of a hit will have me awake all night with nightmares and it's to late for vitamin V.
Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts