Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
aka Paul B.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever researched mounting an old Vetter Windjammer fairing on any model of V-Rod?
I've seen a couple of these on Ebay and it got me to wondering....

·
aka Paul B.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they look just like a Memphis Shades to me. The Vetter is different; it's frame mounted but not as bulky as the Road Glide fairing and uses one 7" headlight (think Truck-lite LED).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vetter fairing

The answer is very simple: YES IT WORKS !!
This is for all folks who whants a bagger and doesn´t like the bulky Road Glide fairing.
I have done this mod last winter and I´m absolutely satisfied with it !
It offers extra storage room and an excellent weather protection.
It requieres only a few mods on the bike and a grade off skill .
There are a lot of second hand vetter fairings available on e-bay.
Give it a good paint job and some extra chrome parts and it looks much better than stock.
Currently my Rod is partly dissambled for some further mods, so I can´t give you any pics now.
If you are interested feel free to contact me.
Would be a big pleasure for me to give some knowledge back to this great forum.

Cheers

Rammike

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
vetter vs batwing

Go for Vetter!
Rammike post some vetter pictures.

·
Premium Member
10,796 Posts
I was all set to do one, even contacted Craig VEtter (who personally answers his email!), and went to buy one. That one was in horrible shape, and since I was going on a trip, went with a Memphis Shades Batwing, but used a LED in a softtail bucket. I think the Vetter is a better piece, and has storage. I wish he made new ones! I say, go for it!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Windjammer 5 on my '04 B.
I cut the windsiheld way down and have good wind protection. I ride year round and I love it in the winter.
You have to open up the front for clearance at the fork tubes a little but there's a lot of material there so it's no problem.
Mine's mounted in a little more raked back position than C. Vetter recomends but it works well that way. I tried several different positions/attitudes. Get it too far forward and I get a lot of buffeting.
Mine's calm and stable at 125+
One good thing about the WJ 5 is that it has a knob for headlight adjustment, that's pretty handy if you sometimes load up the bike.
Just about every part on them is still available.

J

·
aka Paul B.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your input, JMac. Where did you find your fairing? Could you post pictures and explain how you mounted it? How does the Windjammer 5 differ from the earlier models?
Thanks in advance for any info you provide!
Paul.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had considered getting one for quite a while so I kept an eye on ebay for about 2 years, there's a steady stream for sale there. Some in good shape and some beat up.
But I ended up finding one that looked almost brand new about 70 miles from the house (craigslist).
They have somewhat of a cult following these days and ebay prices have gone up considerably during the time I was watching it.
If you check the Vetter website there's a ton of information, including the very small differences in the various models.
They all bolt to a plate at the bottom edge of the sides with a couple of small bolts. I went up a size on the bolts and drilled a 3rd hole on each side for an additional bolt.
Mine is attached to the two frame bolts on the downtubes, with two pieces of round stock going up to the front & back of the plate. Plus I have a brace on the steering head of the frame to the bottom lip of the front of the fairing.
They have a pretty considerable storage capacity, and lots of space to mount guages, switches, etc.
I don't care to post pictures of mine on the interwebs but if you decide to do it I can email some. Keep in mind you will get some funny looks if you do it, but the comfort level is way groovy. And it's easy to pick out in a sea of Road Kings and Ultra Classics ; )
There are a lot more Vetters out there than you'd think.

J

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vetter Fairing

Hi Folks,
I´ve added some pics of my bike... sorry but no better pics currently available.
I think it helps to understand how this works and how it looks.
I still love this fairing and gonna refine the look during this winter, plus some further issues I´d like to change.
BTW I´ve also designed a rear swing arm independent passenger floorboard solution.
If someone is interested gonna send you pics.

Cheers for now
Rammike

Attachments

·
aka Paul B.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, Rammike! Did you make that strut from the steering head to the front of the fairing? That looks like a very neat piece of work! Any pics showing the fairing mount along the bottom? Is that bracket clamped to the engine guard/crash bar?

·
Premium Member
10,796 Posts
Nope. When I did my Roadrod, CV did not make a Streetrod bracket, so, Bad Attitude had a set, and we modded the prototype to fit. So, since you make it yourself, no problems! Good winter project! Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vetter fairing

Hi guys,

thanks for the flowers, it was a lot of work to convert this bike into a bagger, and I´m still not finished my project.
My former bike was an Electra Glide , so I´m a bit spoiled, but this conversion is the best two worlds, like a drug to me !
Sobiesky 22 , the upper bracket is a combination of a homebrew steel frame mounted to the fairing, and a converted neck bearing clamp bracket from a german supplier.
The lower support is a converted Kuryakin clamp fixed to the crash bar.
Not a big job to design this !
If you need any more details, please let me kow.

Greetings to the USA ( my heaven )

Cheers
Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts