Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine (who is a member) and I went for a nice ride to Brooksville this past Sunday. The weather was perfect, the roads were nice and curvy but we still did not make it to our destination.

As we were riding, his Vrod just quit on him. When I got back to him on the side of the road his gauges were flashing (turnsignals, highbeam, idiot lights) and the gauges were moving (like in the diagnostic mode) over and over again even though the ignition was OFF. I was not able to run a diagnostic because of all that was going on with the gauge cluster.

I unplugged the battery cables to see if that would reset the ECU. This made everyting come to a stop, but when I turn the ignition on and push the starter button noting happens. I get a click from the ignition relay, but nothing else happens. To top this off the headlight, taillight, horn, turn signals do not work. Also the fuel pump does not pressurize the line either.

Is this just so form of a major short in the electrics??

·
SMOKE A FATTY!!!!!!!
260 Posts
might check battery connection, mine would click when i hit the start button and everything shut down. the cable came loose on the battery.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jerry07dx said:
might check battery connection, mine would click when i hit the start button and everything shut down. the cable came loose on the battery.

battery connection is nice and tight

·
Banned
405 Posts
Any addon wires to the battery that might have a small area rubbed off and grounding the system?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vepil said:
Any addon wires to the battery that might have a small area rubbed off and grounding the system?
Nothing has been added on to the battery...when we were on the side of the road I moved all of the wires around to see if the status would changed and there was nothing.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Make sure that the ground to the cam covers is tight. If he happened to change the covers to powdercoat make sure he sanded the coating down. After that I would look at the maxi fuse & its connection. Start simple and work your way up.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike is totally stock never been touched. For the whole ride up to the point the bike was running fantastic then all of a sudden it sputtered and starting acting like it was posesed.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Mine did that a few times minus the flashing lights, stock with less than 5000 miles. Hasn't done it since, got 8900 on it now. Weird...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same happen to me with less than 1000 miles on it. Took it in for that and the clunky front end. One of the main ground cables terminal connection broke off. I did not even ask to know where exactly, but the same shutdown. At least I was on a straight rode, because there was no moon out and it was pitch black, the lights and the bike shut down. Kinda scary...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Check the maxi-fuse to see if it came loose in its boot?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Double check the grounds. A loose ground can make the bike act this way. RJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts