Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
"Keg Security"
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, My best friend in KC told me this was the place with all the info so I thought I'd introduce myself. I've DREAMED of owning a Harley for about 10 years and last year I finally bought an 03 Heritage. I put 12,000 miles on it last year and had a ball. I was very underwhelmed with the power however and was getting ready to do a big bore kit. I took it out to KC with me last week in the back of my truck so I could ride with by bro that just bought an 03 v-rod. I really screwed up.....I rode it! Long story to short, I bought an 04 v-rod in Hays Kansas on my way home. It's blue and has six miles on it and is still in the back of my truck. My first question is I'm ripping out the baffles and putting on a K&N. Do I need to have something reprogramed due to the modifications and the transition from sea level to 5280 ft? Thanks for any input in advance, Les

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
We keep saying that all it takes is one ride, and you've proven it again. Simplest solution is to go to V-Mod.com and trade your pipes for a V-Mod pipe and power commander. He has a kit. Altitide is compensated for, but not the pipe change. Read some of the threads (there are many) on the subject here. Start here: http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=53366#post53366

I suspect you'll be wanting a different seat as well.

Welcome to our addiction.

:vrodforu:

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
hehehehe, the V-Rod brings another convert over from the air-cooled spectrum of 2 wheel HD life. Yea, the V-Rod is a BLAST!! WELCOME!!!

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
Welcome!

The sea level deviation is already taken into account in the EFI system. The least cost way of getting your job done is to have the dealer flash the Screemin Eagle one-time flash. I think that it's $150 plus some labor. But read the postings that Daniii is recommending, because if you are interested in future modifications and dyno tuning, then choosing whether to invest in the Power Commander add-on, or the Screemin Eagle Race Tuner will be your most immediate decision.

The Stock exhaust definitely sounds very "bad ass loud." It also opens up a bunch of low end torque under 3000 rpm.

If you don't have your own plasma cutter, consider sending your pipes out to be V-Modded. If you do it on a Monday, you'll probably be riding them by Wednesday afternoon. The V-Mod guys work fast.

Have fun on your new V!

·
VROOOOOMMM!!!
763 Posts
I'm that KC guy

Hey, that is MY bike he rode out here!!!! I KNEW he would change his mind.... his was like driving a school bus!! This guy has been my best friend for around 22 years and now we have a pair of Vrods!!! Nirvana is finally here!!! Now all I have to do is get him to move back to KC from Denver. I see there are others out here in the KC area, we need to get together and ride, and compare accessories and tuning stuff( mine still isn't fast enough..even though BeerMe says it is "scary fast")(I guess it is compared to his heritage) I've only had mine for a month now and I just turned 900 miles tonight(had 11 when I got it).I haven't ridden a bike for about 15 years, and then I get this one. Lovin' every minute of it....
PM me if anyone wants to ride, or race or whatever-- my wife loves it too, and some new friends wouldn't hurt us.

·
Registered
257 Posts
welcome and good choice on the new bike

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Welcome Beerme... You probably won't be riding much the first week, because that is how long you will be absorbing info on this site :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Welcome Les to the best V-Rod forum on the Net :welcome:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts