Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lock Talk Squawk
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings y'all, I haven't been on here for a long time! I've been missing it too... Hope all are cranking out the miles and I'm happy for my Northern brothers that Spring is on it's way. (in SD that just means it goes from 70 to 80 haha)

I'm sorry to report that my baby is ill. What started as a simple coolant leak at the thermostat has turned into ANTIFREEZE IN THE OIL! :banghead:

So, since she's going in for surgery anyway, do I Turbo or Supercharge her?

Rubber Side Down,
J

·
Lock Talk Squawk
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No takers, researched myself...thanks! I see that Superchargers really haven't "taken" off. Looks like Trask is the way to go!

Ride safe y'all...

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Trask is a very good system.

·
'1250' CC
78 Posts
I am happy with my TTS supercharger. I think the install might be easier and quicker than the Trask and provides as much or more power. They have also made it look better on the bike than the turbo...at least i think so.
Talk to Richard at TTS. His forum name is Horsepower.
Good luck
rich the busdriver

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
I like the turbo. I have a trask. if I was to sell the turbo I would have to think real hard and pull the trigger on the SC.

Richard is coming out with a new street version of the SC. in April

Stand by...You can still get your bike fixed and ride either way.

good Luck

rsc

·
Lock Talk Squawk
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I may go with a Zipper's build instead. I talked to the Service Manager at Sweetwater today, and an employee there has one they built that they fondly call "Matilda". I'll post the details when I get them. I know the Trask is slick, part of me is tempted to go the SC route just to be slightly different...

-J

·
Frank
4,320 Posts
Thanks guys! I may go with a Zipper's build instead. I talked to the Service Manager at Sweetwater today, and an employee there has one they built that they fondly call "Matilda". I'll post the details when I get them. I know the Trask is slick, part of me is tempted to go the SC route just to be slightly different...

-J
WARNING!!!!

If Zippers is still using the Wiseco 4.25" 2 ring pistons you will have broken skirts within 10K miles. I personally have had to rebuild 3 engines using those pistons and 2 of those were complete Zippers builds.

Other members here have encountered the same issues as well.

Personally, I think you would be better off opening up your engine, seeing what is the problem, and if the cases and liners are okay, just leave the bore alone, go with CP pistons, better rods, a stroked crank (6mm or 9mm), ported heads (with larger valves), larger injectors and 58mm throttle bodies.

There are several member here that can do the job for you and If you like, I have a black case, 2005 engine I could build up for you and simply swap out the engines (no additional down time).

·
Lock Talk Squawk
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bad V-R!!

Dude, you are one stand-up guy! We've all learned so much from you wisdom on here...can't thank you enough!! Interesting/disappointing to know that about Zippers.

Hmmm, I was feeling pretty set on the Trask option but the build still intrigues me especially for the black cases...it would look loads better than the grey in my orange/black SE! Can you PM me with an offer for that? How would the performance/reliability compare to the Trask? I picked up a Thundermax today in prep for it, would you recommend that for your build setup? I've seen a lot of complaints depending on the scoot...

Thanks again brutha,
Jason

·
Lock Talk Squawk
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Duh...total freak out

Boy do I feel like a dumba$$! I think the coolant leak made me paranoid or something because I did not even consider the more likely/obvious reason for me thinking I had coolant in the oil. I hadn't ridden her in a week or so and it was a cool morning. The gas station I checked the oil and freaked out at is only a 2 min 25mph ride from my house...Sooooo, it turns out that what I saw was only condensation that didn't have a chance to burn off. Oh well, everything happens for a reason. In this case the reason being that it forced me to finally take her in to have much neglected maintenance done and it's given me the MOD bug! :dance:

Here's a public thanks to "MJ" for the sweet Thundermax deal!! It has begun...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts