Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my bike out yesterday for a 500 mile ride into the Smoky mtns. After about 45 min. i got a grinding shift in first,which it has done from day 1,then noticeably harder clank going to 2nd.Always did have a lil clank going to 2nd,but now its louder.Also just a tad bit of noise going to 3rd.Im very easy on the clutch and use syn oil changing at 1500 miles.Kinda got me a bit on the worried side now that im out of warranty, naturally.lol Anyways im open to suggestions knowing theres lots of great knowledge floating around this fantastic site. Thanks a million . Randy in KY. :helpme:

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Mine is a little hard going into second from first. I'm running synthetics too. I just thought this was normal for the V-Rod.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
should not grind when shifting. have you checked your clutch? there are a couple of threads about possible clutch problems.... adjustment,and air in the lines.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine has over 4K miles and grinds sometimes, mostly when going into first. I also run synthetic. I think it's ok. Look at the tach when shifting and try to match the engine speed closer to where it should be for the specific gear.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
maybe its a communication error... when I downshift without blipping the throttle, it will clunk. That is the nature of the mechanics involved. I have never heard it grind, even when I tried shifting without using the clutch. I agree about the synthetic. makes the shifting smoother. I have 7200 miles on mine.
Greg

·
Registered
454 Posts
Greg687 said:
maybe its a communication error... when I downshift without blipping the throttle, it will clunk. That is the nature of the mechanics involved. I have never heard it grind, even when I tried shifting without using the clutch. I agree about the synthetic. makes the shifting smoother. I have 7200 miles on mine.
Greg
Hmm, are you saying if you shift into first going too fast it won't make a grinding noise (like big trucks make at a traffic light)? Mine sure does. I always thought it was normal and caused by the engine speed being too fast for the gear. That's why coming to a stop I always shift one gear at a time always trying to match the current speed to the correct gear.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It only does it going up thru the gears, coming back down its smooth as silk.Could be as one of ya said, that the throttle needs to blip a bit to make the gears mesh easier. Thanks for responces. got my mind itchin anyhow. lol

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
V-Man said:
Hmm, are you saying if you shift into first going too fast it won't make a grinding noise (like big trucks make at a traffic light)? Mine sure does. I always thought it was normal and caused by the engine speed being too fast for the gear. That's why coming to a stop I always shift one gear at a time always trying to match the current speed to the correct gear.
I have never taken it to the extreme of trying to force first when going 70 or so, but around 20 or so it will absolutely "clunk". The whol bike will lurch a bit as the shafts match speed. I do the one gear at a time thing now too, and blip the throttle.

Greg

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
I have found that the best way to downshift is blipping the throttle between gears till you hit 2nd. Shift into 1st when going 10mph and watch how smooth it is. :cheers:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
TBAG809 said:
I have found that the best way to downshift is blipping the throttle between gears till you hit 2nd. Shift into 1st when going 10mph and watch how smooth it is. :cheers:

:stupid: :cheers:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
giving a slight, quick twist to the throttle so the engine speeds momentarily match that of the transmission if it were in a lower gear. its possible to downshift this way without using the clutch, (if you have ever driven a large truck you will know what I mean...they call it floating the gears), but I dont do this on the bike. if you watch a motorcycle road race you will hear the racers do this as they downshift.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Mine makes a little clunk noise when upshifting,but only under a low load.Under a heavy load it's just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts