Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I have the 3.7 gal. tank. Whats a reasonably safe range with mixed highway and city?
2) My bike didn't come with an owners manual and I haven't ordered one yet. So, when I cycle through the display I have an odometer, a trip odometer, and then a display that looks like a small letter "r" and then a number that ranges arounf 89 to 91. What's that?
3) A dealer last week was telling me to put 20/50 in my engine and some Harley tranny oil for the transmission. I told him I thought the engine and transmission oil were combined in this bike like some Japanese bikes. Who's right?

On this last question I must stress that I'm not a complete dumbass I just don't have an owners manual or a Clymers manual yet. This thing is a 2004 with only 1450 miles on it. I'd rather not just take off and find out later how bad I screwed up.

Thanks in advance.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,160 Posts
1. Depends on your mileage. I get 32 MPG.
2. r is remaining miles to fill up. The odometer should be used over believing the fuel gauge.
3. Amsoil 20/50 Full Synth is the best. No trans oil needed. Yes, like the Japanese bikes.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
1) I have the 3.7 gal. tank. Whats a reasonably safe range with mixed highway and city?
2) My bike didn't come with an owners manual and I haven't ordered one yet. So, when I cycle through the display I have an odometer, a trip odometer, and then a display that looks like a small letter "r" and then a number that ranges arounf 89 to 91. What's that?
3) A dealer last week was telling me to put 20/50 in my engine and some Harley tranny oil for the transmission. I told him I thought the engine and transmission oil were combined in this bike like some Japanese bikes. Who's right?...
:vrodforu:

I like to fill up with no less that 3 gallons. That leaves me 0.5 gallons in the tank (I once ran out completely and coasted in to a gas station where it took 3.625 gallons to the neck). I consider only 3.5 to be usable. Since I average about 33mpg (mostly city), I stop with 100 miles on the odo. You may not want to chance it that close until you know your bike as well as I know mine. Your safe range should easily be 90+ miles.

My fuel gauge works fine since I fixed it, so I use my "r" odometer (range to empty) all of the time. It starts out showing about 110 miles to empty, but ranges up to 125 sometimes if I am just putting around before the fill up. It will go down to 10 miles to empty, then it will display "r lo". I get nervous when it gets there, so I usually fill up within 5 miles. Again, you may not want to chance it until you know your bike. Keep your eye on the odometer.

You are right about the single oil sump. That dealer thinks that a V-Rod is built like the Harley airheads with a radiator attached. He probably has never even ridden one. Keep a close eye on your oil level until you get to know how much oil it consumes. Once it is broken in fully it won't consume much oil at all, if any.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Aftermarket 5 gallon tanks are available for your bike. I get 30-33 MPG.

Yes, your dealer is an idiot when it comes to V-Rod knowledge. Typical of many dealerships (not all) who don't believe V-Rods are "real" Harley Davidsons or they just don't know shit from shinola regards our bikes.

If you find yourself coming to Eastern Washington, give me a shout. I live in Tri-Cities. :)

Phatass

·
Registered
188 Posts
When it comes to fuel mileage: your best off playing around with your bike and see what type of fuel mileage you get in the city/highway, mixed, and at different speeds. For example: With my 2003 VRSCA, I've gotten over 40 mpg when driving at mostly 50 mph speeds (I let it get to 100 miles on my trip before I fill up where I'm full after 2.5-2.6 gallons), but I might get 37-38 doing 60 mph or 35 doing city (then I don't let it get over 90 miles on my trip before I fill up where I put 2.5-2.6 gallons). I'm sure I could go with a lot more miles, but I've heard of stories where people ran out and I don't care to push a 600+ lb. bike around. Also modification might change your bike. For example: I used to average 43 mpg no matter what type of driving I was doing with my Screamin' Eagle slip-ons, but the numbers I gave you were with my V-Mod exhaust.

Just play with it so you know what type of mileage you get and just use common sense and I'm sure you won't have to worry about pushing it. Good luck!

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
Would it really be so bad if they tapped a hole in the back of the case to add tranny fluid? It's gota go somewhere, right?
there is actually a good place to tap a hole. typically the dealers tap a hole behind the blinker fluid reservoir.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Pick up a fuel bottle or even a 1 gallon gas can, fill it, and take it along for a day of riding. Ride until you run out of fuel. Note the mileage, and then you will have YOUR known miles before empty. Everyone, even if riding on the same bike, will get different fuel mileages. Running your bike to empty is the only real way for you to know YOUR mileage.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Pick up a fuel bottle or even a 1 gallon gas can, fill it, and take it along for a day of riding. Ride until you run out of fuel. Note the mileage, and then you will have YOUR known miles before empty. Everyone, even if riding on the same bike, will get different fuel mileages. Running your bike to empty is the only real way for you to know YOUR mileage.
Be careful, these (and most) fuel pumps are touchy. Gas is their only lubrication. Running them dry even once can and will cause them to die a slow death!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Be careful, these (and most) fuel pumps are touchy. Gas is their only lubrication. Running them dry even once can and will cause them to die a slow death!
I concur.
If you do this, turn it to off when you first start bucking, that way it doesn't completely suck it dry... and you will still know your limit.

Before I upgraded tanks, I was getting about 110ish miles before I would fill up.. I think the most I did was 115. Now with my 5 gallon, I get 151.7 at a 70-80mph range with some passing in the hills. It also depends on what speed you're travelling at, and what altitude.. the faster you go, the more it sucks fuel. }:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
With the stock tank, I would only push it to 110 miles. With the UE upgrade I can now go comfortably to 135 miles and still have just under a gallon left. It puts me in the range of the group I ride with, so we are all stopping about the same time.

The true test will be Sturgis 2011, I will carry a gas can in case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts