Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchase a closed box brand new Two onto one for 75 dollars, I have done some reading but most everything I come up with is people talking about how good it sounds. No one talks about the power or before or after Dyno or 1/4 mile runs. Since its a two into one, it should have a decent midrange but after looking over the pipe arrangement being unequal tubes I can't see this making anymore but probably less than the Factory set up with SE Slip On's and must be hell to tune since the Auxiliary after the head pipes in the factory system played a role if you ever had the chance to look inside the Auxilary in was formed sheet metal almost in the shape of a long X so the system was a two into one into two.
The VH muffler has a large Metal plug about six inches away from the exit that's not removable without grinding welds. It's also a not a repackable can unless you grind the seam welds but it appears the packing is steel that's a good thing. I set the OEM system on the scale and it showed 33 Pounds and that's with SE mufflers. The VH 17553 set on the scales just over 20 with the brackets. Does anyone remember having seen true numbers or is this pipe although very well built It was just Marketing hype back in the day?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After Removing my V-modded SE slip on Mufflers and installing the Vance & Hines two into one, then tuning the bike it's apparent the bike now lacks top-end power and does not have the Hard pull it once had and was quite a difference from last years dyno runs I rather not post HP since we use a Factory pro and its about 10 to 15 percent less then Dyno Jet. The bottom line the muffler V&H sold with the kit kills Horse Power and not by two or three but close to twelve in comparison to the OEM with the Screamin Eagles. So I purchased from eBay a brand new V&H muffler D449RC with the Heat Shield A145HC that came in the 17553 kit and took it apart, Pretty shocking and I will try to explain... The muffler inlet inside Dia is 2 1/4" but there is a pipe that is attached to the baffling that necks it down to 1.7/8" then it opens up to the baffling that is 3 1/2" that was wrapped in fiberglass then there is DB Killer spot welded to the cap that is four inches in length with 35 1/4 holes drilled into it that lead the exhaust flow out of a two-inch outlet. My Research on the type of baffle " Absorptive Baffling is designed so that the sound entering the muffler interacts with packing material and is converted to heat by the frictional process. it's not the greatest and even worse in the layout they are using. So my plan is to build my own and see if this can improve, First thing is to purchase spiral louvered core in 2 1/4 inlet to the outlet that should speed up the flow and use a non wrapped packing maybe in stainless steel to get a deeper tone, Like 60s glass packs, I'm not into ear-splitting loud on a street bike! and see if we can gain back or exceed what the OEM system performed. It's too bad the OEM system is super heavy with its Aux chamber it flows excellent there is a lot of volumes there and it's engineered well and sounds really good too and always made good power.
Muffler Packing / Muffler Repacking Kits

1 - 3 of 3 Posts