Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
Thanks, John....I did try V&H but got the expected answer. Both the 17555 & 17535 have been discontinued and no brackets left. I'm just wondering how difficult could it be to modify or custom build a bracket? Tempting to just order the pipes and give it a whirl. And what do you plug the 02 holes with?
Anyone have pics of the 17535 bracket? Guess I have plenty of time to explore options as riding season is still several months away.
Dan
Keep an eye on ebay, the 535 pipe is often found there nib. I got mine last August for 400.00 shipped.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Amazon.com for $180. Make the bracket out of scrap aluminum. Takes 15 minutes to cut to fit, and drill 2 holes. Joe

·
Registered
44 Posts
Been watching the auctions sites and did notice there were a few completed systems on ebay that sold cheap, so I'll bide my time and see what comes up.
Joe, did you see a 2 into 1 on Amazon recently? I looked and nothing right now. 180 would be killer. Hell, I'd attach it with an old clothes hanger for that price.
Thanks for the advice and help.
Dan

·
Locktite Queen
2,037 Posts
Sorry, i'm not on the forum very often.....The mounting bracket between the pipe and the lower frame is different. I managed to get the last R bracket from Vance and Hines. The R bracket is significantly different. I installed the pipe last winter and if I recall correctly the mounting bolt pattern is wider for the R than the D. also, the bracket shapes are very different.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dancing Dogs,

Is it just the lower pipe bracket that requires mods? Did the bracket for the muffler fit okay?

I have a 17535 and a FuelPak sitting in my garage awaiting installation on an 07 R - I pulled the trigger on eBay based on some of the comments from other members in this string.

I have not pulled my stock pipe off and trying to gather as much info as possible before I start throwing wrenches through the drywall.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey, Topless67!
I see you're in the Seattle area too. Am also in the process of changing out my exhaust to a V&H 2 into 1 but ordered the 17555 since the price was right and no 17535 to be found at a reasonable price. Would love to see your bracket as I will have to modify one to make my system fit. PM me if you want to get in touch, maybe I could lend a hand if you're nearby.
You should have everything you need with the 17535 kit. Have done the research.
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dan,

My bad... I have a 17555 just like you and wondering what the correct bracket looks like as well.

I probably will not start working on my bike for another few weeks. If you figure out how to fab or have any installation tips, PM me.

Thanks and good luck.

J

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, how did the V&H 17555 install go? I've just found one listed locally and am considering throwing it on my 2005/06 VRSCR (I say 05/06 because when I check the VIN it comes up as an 06, but it's the skinny version so I guess it's an 05) - and just having the mount fabricated up.

Think it'll work?

Cheers! Coss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Coss,

I haven't installed yet and am actually considering selling the pipes, FuelPak, bung plugs and K&N filter - all new in the box.

The seat height of the Street Rod is simply too tall for me and will most likely sell the bike in the Spring.

Willing to take a loss but not a bath... I think something in the $650 range fore the complete set up is fair. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's a nice price! Unfortunately, I'm in New Zealand so shipping and the exchange rate bump the price over my (meager) budget. (eg, the pipes here are only ~$220USD). Still with the fueler and filter, it's tempting!

My ride's been lowered and my feet are flat on the ground with my knees bent (I'm 5"11) - have you thought about just chucking a pair of shorter shocks on it? (and re-upholstering the seat will drop a bit more off it too).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have removed the stock pipes and waiting for a set of polished stainless engine bolts. Figure as long as I have easy access to the clutch cover I would replace the bolts with nice shiny new ones.
The stock pipes came off without a hitch and after close inspection I am confident the brackets from the 17555 V&H (409-P) will not be difficult to modify. At this point the only difference I can see is that the 17555 bracket has a wider space between bolt holes. As there are two brackets I am referring to the one that does not have the part # stamped onto it. I expect I will just measure, drill the new hole and bolt on.
As soon as I get the new engine bolts I'll complete this job and post how it went.
If you're not going to be using the O2 sensor ports you will need the plugs. 18mm X1.5.
Dan

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
pm sent. Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Coss,

I caught that you were in New Zealand after I responded.

Rear end is already lowered with a 13.25" shock and only have about 3/4" clearance between my swiping arm cross member and fuel cell.

I'm five six with a short inseam to boot... I should have never sold my softail.

Happy tuning!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Earlier today I finished the modification to the bracket that came with the Vance & Hines 2 into 1 exhaust, part #17555. Of the two brackets that come with this system (#409-P) only the forward piece requires modification to fit the VRSCR.
The only difference between the brackets that come with the 17555 and 17535 V&H exhaust systems is the spacing between holes on the forward bracket.
I used the rod that is removed from the stock set up to measure the spacing for the new hole. (see pics) New distance from center of holes is 3 inches. The next pic is making sure everything lines up prior to drilling. And finally the finished product. Really a much easier project that I expected and for the bargain prices I have seen on the 17555 pipes, well worth the minor effort of an easy mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very cool... Thanks for the pics and advice on the simple mod to the mounting bracket. I have a six pack of Pyramid waiting for you if you're interested in drilling out one more bracket!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts