Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a complete Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Pro Comp Exhaust and to make a long story short the instructions are a bit vague on which mounts to use the triangle or the dogleg or both. My 07 has mid controls and this is the only obstacle left to tackle (for now)
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Hand tool Font Wood Everyday carry Nickel

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Not sure how much different a 06 R with mids is but the one I worked on, likely an earlier V+H version had no rear mount at all. The head pipes held it all in place. It had no brackets , nor did I see any means to mount it to the can. One area to be carefull with is on the clutch cover. Slide a 1/4"+ cardboard shim between it and the head pipe when installing and snugging the head pipes up. If not careful , it can rattle a nice dent into your clutch cover. The can also gets close to the frame at the rear. I added a small silicone circle to act as a bumper, should it vibrate against it. It never did but it's close. If you bolt it all up in your case that has bracketry, it should be obvious what plate needs to connect from frame to muffler, just before that last final snugging of the exhaust flanges.
You should also get the older thin 1130 exhaust seals for the heads. 65109-01. I've seen them on Amazon with the James brand. Dealer should have them or be able to get them. The late model tapered are too big and will crush over the hole of the pipe , choking it off some. They don't work worth shit is what I'm saying.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought a complete Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Pro Comp Exhaust and to make a long story short the instructions are a bit vague on which mounts to use the triangle or the dogleg or both. My 07 has mid controls and this is the only obstacle left to tackle (for now) View attachment 611206
View attachment 611205
You'll use the dogbone on the muffler to connect the angle bracket, which then connects to the triangle bracket, which connects to the bike. It's a universal kit, so it doesn't fit too well. I didn't have the bolts so I had to rig it up on mine with store bought bolts, but here's the pics of my 06D with mids.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Fuel tank Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not sure how much different a 06 R with mids is but the one I worked on, likely an earlier V+H version had no rear mount at all. The head pipes held it all in place. It had no brackets , nor did I see any means to mount it to the can. One area to be carefull with is on the clutch cover. Slide a 1/4"+ cardboard shim between it and the head pipe when installing and snugging the head pipes up. If not careful , it can rattle a nice dent into your clutch cover. The can also gets close to the frame at the rear. I added a small silicone circle to act as a bumper, should it vibrate against it. It never did but it's close. If you bolt it all up in your case that has bracketry, it should be obvious what plate needs to connect from frame to muffler, just before that last final snugging of the exhaust flanges.
You should also get the older thin 1130 exhaust seals for the heads. 65109-01. I've seen them on Amazon with the James brand. Dealer should have them or be able to get them. The late model tapered are too big and will crush over the hole of the pipe , choking it off some. They don't work worth shit is what I'm saying.
Ron
Another place to be careful on mid controls, is that the rear brake lever will rub on the muffler. I had to bend mine out about 10 degrees using a bench vise so it wouldn't rub on the muffler when depressed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You'll use the dogbone on the muffler to connect the angle bracket, which then connects to the triangle bracket, which connects to the bike. It's a universal kit, so it doesn't fit too well. I didn't have the bolts so I had to rig it up on mine with store bought bolts, but here's the pics of my 06D with mids. View attachment 611210
View attachment 611209
View attachment 611208
Check out the Danmoto Highwayman Full Exhaust Install video
his brakets and exhaust look just like V&H. He says Fab you own bracket for the 2006 night rod.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'll use the dogbone on the muffler to connect the angle bracket, which then connects to the triangle bracket, which connects to the bike. It's a universal kit, so it doesn't fit too well. I didn't have the bolts so I had to rig it up on mine with store bought bolts, but here's the pics of my 06D with mids. View attachment 611210
View attachment 611209
View attachment 611208
I noticed that you used only 1 bolt to mount the triangle bracket on the frame any reason for this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts