Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace the exhaust on my Street Rod. The exhaust that is on the top of my list is the V&H competion exhaust. Any one have any experience with this exhaust? Power gains? Weight savings? Sound? Fitment? Mileage? Thank U in advance.
PS I will also probablely go with the Fuel Pack and K&N filter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have all that stuff. Love the pipe - made the whole bike in my opinion. The FuelPak - don't know if it's the ultimate way to go, may use the HD Race Tuner someday, but for now it works OK. Topless with a K&N filter too. Yes, more usable power, feels more responsive and if nothing else, the weight savings from getting rid of that huge factory exhaust made it faster. Good way to go.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! I placed my order today! Hope to get it soon!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else out there with this exhaust (V&H Competition/Indy/Outlaw)??

I keep getting conflicting info about this pipe. In part because for some asinine reason it has three names! And in part because the Street Rod is often neglected in the literature... V&H even gives conflicting info about whether or not it fits the bike! My dealer is unsure as he has never fitted one... and the internet service that I want to buy it from is also unsure... it states in their website that it fits but the parts guy there says it may not fit because V&H says it doesnt fit "well enough"... what does that mean? So someone please tell me... does it fit? Were there any problems? Do you like it? I am ready to do this! THANKS! :chair::chair:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
the comp pipe will fit all vrods.the only issues can be with the mounting brackets[or lack of]that come with the pipe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I keep getting conflicting info about this pipe. In part because for some asinine reason it has three names! And in part because the Street Rod is often neglected in the literature... V&H even gives conflicting info about whether or not it fits the bike! My dealer is unsure as he has never fitted one... and the internet service that I want to buy it from is also unsure... it states in their website that it fits but the parts guy there says it may not fit because V&H says it doesnt fit "well enough"... what does that mean? So someone please tell me... does it fit? Were there any problems? Do you like it? I am ready to do this! THANKS! :chair::chair:
I bought an 06 R in January and it had the Compitition exhaust (the one with the springs) and a Power Commander II on it when I purchased it. Issues you may experience is that the front pipe runs very close to a radiator hose and it will melt it if you do not tie it back. Also, the V&H mounts only to the exhaust ports with no other support brackets to support the exhaust from the frame. Because of this, the rear pipe has a tendancy to rest on the clutch cover and, on my bike, ground into the cover.
v-rod 1.jpg v-rod 9.jpg
As I understand, this combination increases the horsepower of the bike a bit. I ride with my friends who own Sportbikes (Ducati Monster 900, Yamaha FZR 1200, BMW GS900, and Honda CBR) and was able to stay with them through the canyons of Southern California even though the R weighs in almost 200 lbs more than thei bikes. Unfortunately, the Competition exhaust was so loud that my ears were ringing after 15 minutes of highway cruising and NOBODY wanted to ride behind me. I pulled the Competition exhaust and Power Commander and went back to the stock setup. I can honestly say that in real-world sport riding, there is no noticable difference in performance. I'm sure I will get a lot of responses from those who have performance setups on their bikes and I'm sure that on a closed course with a proffesional rider, the modified bikes will have a slight edge on the stock bike, but in the real world, the only difference all that extra money you will spend on these accessories is that you will "think" you are going faster.

That being said, I sold my V&H but still have the Power Commander if you are interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
V&H Competition Pipes - help!

Hey guys, I have an 09 Muscle with the stainless steel V&H Competition Series pipes. I absolutely love the power and the sound, but the fukrs get hot!!! I went to Hardcore Choppers to get some heat shields made and the owner suggested I paint the pipes black and put chrome heat shields on. Well, he tried to paint them black... Actually, tried twice and both times the paint has just been peeling off by the headers from the heat. So, then he said he'd wrap the pipe. But it looks like crap. Help! Here's a pick of the heat shields he made on the pipe BEFORE he tried to paint it. I'm going to put the heat shields on regardless, but what should i do about the pipes? Now, he's saying he wants to paint the wrap black. Should I let him? actually, i'll put them in my album. i'm new so i don't know how to do all the stuff yet...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input! I am impatiently waiting to take delivery! Seems the Fuelpak is on back order... DOH! I will probably wrap the pipe to help with heat and rubbing issues... and hope that it is not too loud for me and my buddies... but many of the guys I ride with are pretty loud so that may not be much of an issue... and I live in the sticks surrounded by old people who cant hear much anyway... so I doubt I will bother many people... I will report back after I get it all installed!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The factory heat shields are too small and don't extend far enough to protect your leg when it's down while you're stopped. Riding is not a problem, just when your foot is down, the inside of your pants gets burned. I have dedicated riding pants. I work in a law office and Fridays we have jeans day, so I can ride. Otherwise it burns up the right inner knee of my dress pants. Oh, and yes, it is F'n loud. But I love it. When I ride into the parking garage at work, it has that hollow metal sound like throwing a trash can down a flight of stairs. And the cams sound hot as it lopes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have them on my R with FuelPak
Yes they are Loud , Vance just sent me an additional inner baffle for $ 23 that I will mount soon.

Lack of a mounting bracket does cause some interference with the brake lever...wish VH could make a little something to pull the pipe in a little more. Black Pipes will likely scratch on the brake lever.

Overall weight and performance are great...always some little stuff.

Also take a look at Quat D Exhaust
I may have tried these, found after...
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=744|Harley Davidson&productID=4765&showDetail=1&categoryID=746|Exhaust&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=743|American Motorcycle Parts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will install the Vance and Hines with Fuelpak and K&N filter this week... and hope for a rain free weekend! I will keep ya posted!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its finally all installed!

Well the V&H Comp pipe is finally on my R. The brackets werent too helpful that came with it... so the shop reshaped them a bit to pull the pipe in closer. The rear brake pedal just barely touched the pipe so they bent the pedal itself out a bit more and shaved a bit off of the inner corner of the pedal so now it just barely clears the pipe. The pipe also sits VERY close to the crank case... so they put a little dimple in the exhaust to give a touch more clearance.

The pipe looks awesome. Weighs less than half as much as the original, and sounds great (though VERY loud and this may cause a problem as Japanese cops are fairly strict about noise). I have not had a chance to ride it yet as I had my little boy all day but just as soon as the wife gets home from work tonight I will ride ride ride! I will give a full report in a few days!

But so far so good!:moon:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well the V&H Comp pipe is finally on my R. The brackets werent too helpful that came with it... so the shop reshaped them a bit to pull the pipe in closer. The rear brake pedal just barely touched the pipe so they bent the pedal itself out a bit more and shaved a bit off of the inner corner of the pedal so now it just barely clears the pipe. The pipe also sits VERY close to the crank case... so they put a little dimple in the exhaust to give a touch more clearance.

The pipe looks awesome. Weighs less than half as much as the original, and sounds great (though VERY loud and this may cause a problem as Japanese cops are fairly strict about noise). I have not had a chance to ride it yet as I had my little boy all day but just as soon as the wife gets home from work tonight I will ride ride ride! I will give a full report in a few days!

But so far so good!:moon:
The Brackets that come with it aren't intended to be used with the R model. I am curious how they "reshaped" them. probably too hard to photo at this point... Happy Riding !

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fit n finish

The instructions list the R and a bracket for it... but it does not quite fit LOL... A visual inspection does not reveal much since I dont really remember what the bracket looked like to begin with other than it was a bit long and black... the net result of the modification is that the pipe lays in very close to the frame and motor... in fact it would touch the engine case if they hadnt also made a small dent in the pipe... as it is I am sure it does probably touch sometimes due to vibration... but if so I do not hear it at least...

I rode about 150 miles of twisty mountain roads today... but traffic was thick (its peak fall leaf season - they were stunning!) so I could not really push things too hard... but the seat of the pants feel is that there is more grunt all around but maybe a slight flat spot around 4000...

I leaned a fair amount in the corners and so far there have been no clearance issues but I was not going full tilt... usually when i really push it my boots seems to scrape first... but today I didnt touch anything down at all... new bars too... and I dont like em... too upright so pushing it hard didnt feel right... I will try to fix that soon with something flat or perhaps even clip ons...

the pipes are LOUD but sound nice... but I am shortshifting sometimes because of the noise... and sometimes there seems to cause a bit of a thumping sound in my helmet... I wear a full face helmet and use ear buds... sometimes it sounded like the music through my earbuds had a terrible reverb... DOH! I will try my other pair (etomotyics research) which seals out noise a bit better next time I ride and see if it helps...

I do not notice the pipes getting too hot... seems about the same as the stock pipes in that regard... and Fuel consumption seems on par with the stock set up which is a pleasant surprise!

So all in all I am quite happy with the result! I hear there is a quieter baffle available... I may seek it out... my neighbors would appreciate it! LOL...

I will try to snap a few pics soon!

·
Registered
134 Posts
"The message below is why I was so curious about a mounting bracket...

Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:55 AM, VHM Sales <[email protected]> wrote:

Frank,

Thanks for inquiring about the Vance & Hines competition series exhaust for your motorcycle. The type of V-Rod you have does not use the mounting bracket that is supplied with the kit because your motorcycle is equipped with mid-controls. If you have anymore question feel free to to contact us,

Thanks "

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had competition exhaust put on my 2010 NRS and I'm very happy with it. I live in Miami and had it installed at my Harley dealer Peterson South. They used the screaming eagle filter and race tuner for the setup. On the dynojet with 98.16 F, 30.16 in-Hg, humidity: 31%, SAE: 101 4th gear run the max power = 120.19 max torque = 80.14 to [email protected] RPM

The initial HP before install to the wheel was 95. The roll on power is amamzing and seems endless. Ran down GSXR 600 after leaving a stop light letting the bike get the jump on me. When I commited it was surprising to him and I. My NRS weighs near 670lbs and I'm 260lbs. GSXR is around 400lbs and rider was around 170lbs. IDK he may not have been a good rider but I'm at serious weight to power disadvantge. 7.6lbs per hp to his 6 per hp. I can only say wow love the performance, its more than I need, looks great and sounds excellent. the weather is comfortable to ride so exhaust doesn't bother while wearing jeans. Summer is not so fun to ride and to hot for jeans and exhaust is hot if running in shorts stopped at lights or in traffic, that's my only complaint. Guess I'll have to move north.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Baffle

Did you order the additional baffle directly from V&H? I asked FuelMoto and they did now know of one...I could use some quieting..

Have them on my R with FuelPak
Yes they are Loud , Vance just sent me an additional inner baffle for $ 23 that I will mount soon.

Lack of a mounting bracket does cause some interference with the brake lever...wish VH could make a little something to pull the pipe in a little more. Black Pipes will likely scratch on the brake lever.

Overall weight and performance are great...always some little stuff.

Also take a look at Quat D Exhaust
I may have tried these, found after...
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=744|Harley Davidson&productID=4765&showDetail=1&categoryID=746|Exhaust&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=743|American Motorcycle Parts

1 - 20 of 73 Posts