Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to the forums guys, i know theres a few videos of a night rod with the v&h black widow slip ons, but almost all the ones i have listened to were all distorted cause they place the camera was to close to the exhaust outlet. if anyone has the, on their bike and would make a vid of them id greatly appriciate it. thanks!
ryan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am leaning towards these as well. The comps are a little too loud for what I am looking for and have heard these are between stock and the comps.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am leaning towards these as well. The comps are a little too loud for what I am looking for and have heard these are between stock and the comps.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
my widows arrive today, if you get on youtube vance and hines has a company video posted, search for 2012 vrscdx vance and hines widow slipons , the author will be vance and hines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i just put mine on a few weeks ago, and let me tell you, they are louder than the youtube videos make them seem, however they are no where near as loud as the comps. also, you have to put a tuner on, i was told I wouldnt, put em on and then the bike ran like crap, couldnt even make it down the street. other than that, they are great

·
Registered
801 Posts
I made a video specifically addressing this problem because I got sick of people standing next to their exhaust pipes and revving them up. It drains the true tone of it. I feel like my video pretty accurately shows you how it sounds from the side and behind.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Also notice the whistling sound as the camera gets closer to the motor. It's completely drained out once you take a few steps away from the bike.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
33 Posts
i just put mine on a few weeks ago, and let me tell you, they are louder than the youtube videos make them seem, however they are no where near as loud as the comps. also, you have to put a tuner on, i was told I wouldnt, put em on and then the bike ran like crap, couldnt even make it down the street. other than that, they are great
Excellent guys, that was just what I needed to hear. Now to save up some cash! Ty

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
I got mine put on, and I used the vance and hines fuel pak. Was pretty easy to set up. Installing the widows was a little rough. The braket clearances are tight but they sound great, and they are louder than you think but not to loud. sounds great

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the vid, i also just noticed i mispelled widows wrong lol, thanks again, that vid really helped!

·
Registered
191 Posts
just wanted to say the vid is real close to what they sound like in real life.... the wife has them on hers..... she is savin up for a V&H 2/1 comp header like i have on mine...... i guess we just like em loud...:angeldev:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got mine put on, and I used the vance and hines fuel pak. Was pretty easy to set up. Installing the widows was a little rough. The braket clearances are tight but they sound great, and they are louder than you think but not to loud. sounds great

no disrespect, but installing the pipes only took me about 30 mins. the instructions arent real great, but its easy to figure out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alrighty, well guys im gonna be purchasing the TAB slip on turn outs, non baffeled. i looked at black widows and i dont think their what im looking for as far as sound goes. i want something louder, throatier. as far as tuning goes, if my bike is acting up or not running right im gonna have my dealer put a tts tune on it. im pretty sure its TTS, correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
801 Posts
alrighty, well guys im gonna be purchasing the TAB slip on turn outs, non baffeled. i looked at black widows and i dont think their what im looking for as far as sound goes. i want something louder, throatier. as far as tuning goes, if my bike is acting up or not running right im gonna have my dealer put a tts tune on it. im pretty sure its TTS, correct me if im wrong.

Ironically, I've had a situation yesterday that kind of opened my eyes. I installed the 1" drop on the rear of my bike yesterday. To get to the passenger side bolts I had to take my black widow slip ons off.
I told my buddy we should run it without the slip ons to see how loud it was. Cranked it up, BARELY any louder than with the Black Widows installed. The Black Widows just kind of mellow and even out the tone a little. So apparently most of the baffling is done in that 2-1-2 stock exhaust. The Black Widows just mellow out the exiting tone of it to make it a little smoother. If I ran without them, It just had a LITTLE more rasp to it. I was kind of shocked that it wasn't much louder.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm thats weird. i know most vidoes arent actual good proof of sound but of the ones i have heard with the TAB's i like them and the looks are great also IMO.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well the tabs just give a little extra distance for the exhaust to flow thru and bounce around in and keep that raspiness I guess. I could see myself going with the tabs to give it a grittier tone if I had a decent map to try out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea true, im gonna try it without a tune, as said before if its to bad and acting up ill be taking it to the dealer. im hoping im not gonna ahve any probems, my air box set up is completly stock, im really not planning on adding alot of perforamnce mods to the bike, just the slip ons for sound! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is the fuel pak required w/widow slipons? I spoke to the harley parts dealer today and he indicated it fuel pak was not necessary since it was a slip-on versus a full exhaust. Can any shed some light on this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^ in same cases, im sure a fuel pack or tune is required. based off what i know, a slip on is not as big as a change as to a full system would be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I asked twice before I ordered. He said when I add the fuel-pak you started digging into a lot of things that are not required not to mention the price tag. For instance the Harley Tuner is about 299 versus 230 for the V&H fuel pak. Then you'll need to change the filter and pay for the tune. Crap, I just don't know.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts