Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard the motor has to be pulled ot adjust the valves is this true ? i not how big of a job is it to adjust the valves? and my last question is does anybody know if the extended service contract covers valve adjustments ?

·
Registered
600 Posts
It Is my understanding that if you unbolt the front motor mount and the frame rails at the front you can get the needed clearance to do the valve adjustment. I seriously doubt the extended service plan will cover it as it falls under normal maintenance.

·
Premium Member
11,284 Posts
You do not have to remove the engine to adjust the valves. You do have to drop the engine down a couple of inches to allow for removal of the front cam cover.

I had a service agreement for a couple of years and the dealer did the valve adjustment as part of the contract. You might check with your dealer first however.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was that the extended service agreement or the original one that u get when u buy the bike

·
Premium Member
11,284 Posts
It was between me and the dealer which is why I said to check with yours. These agreements vary depending on what the dealer wants to diddle with.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Why do you need the adjustment? Your bike is 2010...how many miles?

Search for the bulletin that changed the milage as to when to do this.

you sig. show2500 miles you have alot of riding yet to do...

Good Luck
rsc

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I'm a long way away I'm just trying to figure out if the extended service plan is for me or not. There is alot of feedback for and against the extended service think it's all personal preference

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Just do what I do.

Instead of worrying about when I should adjust the valves I just pull the engine and rebuild it. BIGGER each time. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha awesome I think the 1250 is plenty for what I do which for the most part is just touring

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I know I'm a long way away I'm just trying to figure out if the extended service plan is for me or not. There is alot of feedback for and against the extended service think it's all personal preference
There is a big difference between a service plan and an Extended Warranty.You need to find out what you are looking at to buy.
Typically the selling dealer offers a service plan at the time of purchase and is only valid at the dealer you purchased from.On the V-Rod,this is not a good thing because even after 8 years,most dealers do not even know how much oil is used to fill a Revo engine.Do the service yourself.You will never find a flat rate mechanic to give your motorcycle the finesse it deserves,never,not even me!
The engine does not come out for the valve check,or adjustment.Do this yourself too,because most dealers don't have mechanics that are capable of doing this check correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts