Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the valve lash done today and everything is still in spec. One exhaust valve on the rear cylinder is just a little off, but still in spec. Mechanic checked the cams and the timing chain and did a real thorough inspection of everything he could get to though the top end and said everything is amazingly perfect - really, really clean. One thing he did find was that I had a few bad holes in my Rineharts, which he was able to weld shut. So, all in all I was able to stretch out the valve lash to 40k and it's still in spec. :D

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Amazing, Shoe!

·
George
5,411 Posts
I'm no RJ, but I think that once these engines are broken in, the lash doesn't change much. I only have 1/3 Shoe's mileage, but I'm going with 40K checks from here on too.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
i did a double take on that mileage

thats alot

very good to hear this

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks Shoe 4 the update, I'm still about 100K miles off from yours. That is what I get for living in a state with 4 seasons and having weather that can change in 5 minutes :)

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Very good news, and bravo on the mileage. :thumb:

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shoe,
Who is your mechanic?
Where is he located?
Who does he work for, is it an HD dealer?
Damon (& crew) at Mammoth Motorsports in Rohnert Park, CA. He's the owner, he also races too. He like the Revo motor and does a great job taking care of me and my bike. A big plus is if (unlike HD dealerships) he uses less time then he estimated to do a job, he only charges me for the time he actually spent working on my bike. I used to go to the local dealer for service, but they got rid of their tech's that knew how to work on V-Rods so I switched to Mammoth.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
great to hear shoe...what is the going price/time for this valve lash adj.?

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts
Ok, Shoe, question (because I'm too lazy to search): What, if any, shims have been changed out in 155k?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Just had the valve lash done today and everything is still in spec. One exhaust valve on the rear cylinder is just a little off, but still in spec. Mechanic checked the cams and the timing chain and did a real thorough inspection of everything he could get to though the top end and said everything is amazingly perfect - really, really clean. One thing he did find was that I had a few bad holes in my Rineharts, which he was able to weld shut. So, all in all I was able to stretch out the valve lash to 40k and it's still in spec. :D
that was lucky,, i have done the valve lash on a lot of v-rods and some haven`t needed any changed and some have needed as many as 6 valves adjusted because they were out of spec at 12000miles... it is just impossible to predict..you can go as far as you like before checking them and may probably get lucky but running a valve that the lash has tightened too much could end up being a real expensive problem.. i haven`t seen it on a v-rod but i have seen cyl heads on sport bikes absolutely ruined by running them without checking the clearance.. once valves tighten up they can destroy the valve seats and the valves... i have seen seats so burned on a couple kawasaki heads that a new head was required or seats installed in the head...if the clearance increases the cam and buckets can be damaged, the cam and buckets can be wiped out by not enough valve lash also

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, Shoe, question (because I'm too lazy to search): What, if any, shims have been changed out in 155k?
No shims, as I said everything is still right in spec. Valve lash ran me $400 total. My mechanic never charges for shims (if their ever required). I try to never go more than 30k between lash check, but I've been out of town off and on for the last two months. I've found that every 30k seems to be adequate for my bike, others might want to lash check more often.

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts
No shims, as I said everything is still right in spec. Valve lash ran me $400 total. My mechanic never charges for shims (if their ever required). I try to never go more than 30k between lash check, but I've been out of town off and on for the last two months. I've found that every 30k seems to be adequate for my bike, others might want to lash check more often.
Aha. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't just this 40k increment, but overall. I didn't think you'd had any done, but couldn't remember for sure.

Actually, I'm ust looking for an excuse to put off doing mine for a while longer. :hidesbeh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts