Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
I ordered a set of 200 shims about 10 years ago. It was the only thing available at the time and was touted on this forum.
'
Never had the need to want for shims since.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise guys. I will likely order a set. I have a surface grinder so I could likely make do with thicker shims and grind them to size if needed. That's why I was curious as to the stock original size. BTW this is my first v/v lash check and I'm at 47k miles so I'm counting on some needed adjustment.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Thanks for the advise guys. I will likely order a set. I have a surface grinder so I could likely make do with thicker shims and grind them to size if needed. That's why I was curious as to the stock original size. BTW this is my first v/v lash check and I'm at 47k miles so I'm counting on some needed adjustment.
Surface grinder, cool. Those bitches are hard. Let us know how far off it was at 47k.
Mind you, who said it was perfect from the factory and I have to wonder if the first checks eliminate any factory assembly, less then perfect fits.
Ron

·
Tie One On
1,647 Posts
Does anyone know what the stock original shim thickness is? I am planning on doing my first lash check and would like to order a few sizes of spare shims. Thanks
last time looked at mine I only had on valve shimmed and it was a shim specific to the size needed to get within spec.
Your question prompts one to think if you know how to check tolerances to begin with.
Get a repair manual and read through the process about 5 times or more befaore you begin

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
My 2007 has 175,000 miles on it and I have religiously tested the valve lash. First at 15K miles then about 20K thereafter. I have had to replace at least one shim in every instance except the last two. The last two the clearances were within specs. about due for another check up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
last time looked at mine I only had on valve shimmed and it was a shim specific to the size needed to get within spec.
Your question prompts one to think if you know how to check tolerances to begin with.
Get a repair manual and read through the process about 5 times or more befaore you begin
Hi Tie one ON, thanks for the reply.
Yes I have a service manual. You asked if I know how to check the tolerance. We don't actually check the tolerance. We check the clearance(valve lash) between the camshaft and the tappet with the use of a feeler gage. The tolerance is the difference between the minimum and maximum clearance. In this case the tolerance would be .0018" If the clearance or valve lash is not correct, then the shim under the tappet is exchanged for one of the proper thickness to obtain the correct clearance or valve lash.
So are you saying the last time you checked yours, only one of the valves had a shim? I could be wrong but I would think all the valves have a shim between the valve and the tappet. I apologize if I misunderstood your reply.
Thanks, Trevor

·
Tie One On
1,647 Posts
Hi Tie one ON, thanks for the reply.
Yes I have a service manual. You asked if I know how to check the tolerance. We don't actually check the tolerance. We check the clearance(valve lash) between the camshaft and the tappet with the use of a feeler gage. The tolerance is the difference between the minimum and maximum clearance. In this case the tolerance would be .0018" If the clearance or valve lash is not correct, then the shim under the tappet is exchanged for one of the proper thickness to obtain the correct clearance or valve lash.
So are you saying the last time you checked yours, only one of the valves had a shim? I could be wrong but I would think all the valves have a shim between the valve and the tappet. I apologize if I misunderstood your reply.
Thanks, Trevor
by your original question it doesnt sound like you know how to work on the intricates of an engine so It was an attempt at saviving you from yourself.

so sorry if my assumption was incorrect
PROCEED ON

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Ron, I took your advice and ordered the shim set you recommended. It will be a few weeks to arrive. I'll let you guys know what I find when I do the lash service.
Rusty, 175,000 miles. That's impressive.
Thanks again guys, Trevor

·
Noel
4,666 Posts
I could be wrong but I would think all the valves have a shim between the valve and the tappet. I apologize if I misunderstood your reply.
Thanks, Trevor
by your original question it doesnt sound like you know how to work on the intricates of an engine so It was an attempt at saviving you from yourself.

so sorry if my assumption was incorrect
PROCEED ON
:stilpoke::angeldev:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My shims arrived a few days ago so I decided to start the v/v lash check. This is the 1st check and after 47,000 miles they were not out much. Front cylinder: exh .0130" and .0123"
int. .0063" and .0075"

Rear cylinder: exh. .0125" and .0134"
int. .0083" and .0088"
So my question is do the valves have a tendency to increase or decrease clearance? I thought I read on here a while ago they tend to tighten up.
Thanks, Trevor

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.